PDA

View Full Version : Shock Linkage in Supersport Classes

peteyt328
November 5th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Adding this per Moham's request as this was voted pretty evenly both ways at the rule change meeting.

Many of the arguments at the meeting were thrown out blindly and inaccurately, so I will attempt to address only the valid topics.

The primary arguments against this were to remain consistent with AMA and other clubs, as well as maintaining the split between Supersport and Superbike classes. Which are both valid arguments and I think should be considered within reason.

I have the following arguments for the allowance of the shock linkage:
-This upgrade is not going to have a dramatic affect on anyone's lap times. The true benefit is rear end predictability, primarily when driving out of a corner. This is where these overly progressive shock geometries (designed to handle 2 up street riding) used on some of the modern bikes fail. This will not only make the bike safer, but drastically improve tire wear. Two of our biggest concerns for club racing, safety and keeping costs down.
-This isn't a part that is crucial to making every bike work. Some bikes need this to work properly on the race track but for most there is little to no advantage to adding a shock linkage. For this reason, this isn't a part every supersport racer will need to buy to be competitive.
-This is an addition to the rules, rather than a restriction. Meaning this will not prohibit anyone from other clubs coming to race with us due to ineligibility in the class. As far as MRA members going to race with other clubs, that is the racers concern and should be a consideration when purchasing/installing this part. As mentioned above, the performance gains have less to do with speed than improved feel and tire wear.
-This is much less of an upgrade, in both performance and cost, than the already allowed replacement of fork cartridges, rear shocks, Master Cylinders, etc. Carl made the point that modifications to the shock linkage are even allowed in Production classes.

I hope this is given fair consideration by the board and not just ruled out because other clubs do something different. The machines we race on are constantly evolving, often requiring the rules to do so as well. Somebody always has to lead the way with new ideas, the rest will typically follow.