PDA

View Full Version : Race Leathers

jzoellner
October 22nd, 2013, 04:12 PM
I'm new to the racing world and I'm trying to get set up with some entry level gear. I need a leather suit 1 piece or 2 and some boots too. I'm about 5'7'' and 145 and wear a size 10. If you know someone or a store that deals in used gear I'm not trying to make too big of an investment right off the bat.

Cheers,
Jackson

spideyrdr
October 22nd, 2013, 08:10 PM
Hi Jackson,

If you're thinking about racing, I'd recommend going with a 1 piece since that is what you'd need to wear as a licensed racer with the MRA. 2 piece suits are acceptable for Super Street, but if you think you may "license up", definitely invest toward a 1 piece out of the gates.

Have you hit up Performance Cycle to see what they have on hand? I highly recommend checking out their selection and trying on several suits and boots to see what brand(s) fit your body.

I've have had great luck finding new suits on closeout at various places, such as Motorcycle Closeouts:

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/leather+motorcycle+suits/all

I've gotten 2 suits from these guys for $250-300 over the years. This is the time of year for closeout deals, and you may have good luck given your stats.

Boots fall into a similar bucket - check around for closeout deals of last years (or prior) items.

The thing about suits and boots is they tend to fit everyone differently. Sidi boots didn't fit me real well because they are a bit narrow, but the Puma's fir great (Thanks Steve @ Mad Moto). Also, suits of the same size fit differently because everyone's torso, inseam, etc. are going to be different.

Buying used can save some money - my first set of boots were used - but you may not get something that fits YOU or your style. Definitely try the gear on to get a feel for what works for you then look for deals.

Cheers and happy racing!
Jamie

shRED
October 25th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Super sale is on 10/26. It's pretty sweet - I'm assuming all 2013 stuff is marked down.

EDIT: So I recently bought a Mac and now I'm a double poster. Is this Jon's issue? At least not a Quad poster.

shRED
October 25th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Super sale is on 10/26. It's pretty sweet - I'm assuming all 2013 stuff is marked down.