PDA

View Full Version : Off Season Supermoto Q's

gsnyder828
September 28th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Thinking of picking up a supermoto for some off-season training... but I know next to nothing about SM other than the bikes look cool as hell. Any input from experienced dirtbike/supermoto types is appreciated.

Ideally I'd like one bike that could convert from SM to occasional trail use.

1. I feel like it'll be better to get a 250 for SM than a 450 - since I'll be learning and all and it's lighter/easier to push. That said - I ride a 1000cc racebike and would probably prefer a 450 on the trails, so maybe a 450 is better. Any thoughts or input on the 250/450 direction?

2. Leaning towards either Yamaha or Honda due to availability of parts/conversion kits, etc. Is one better than the other - esp related to stock suspension?

3. Speaking of suspension... are significant mods *needed* or can I wobble around IMI fine on stock suspension - at least at the beginning?

4. I see Warp9 and Excel wheel kits around. What's the difference other than price? Weight? Durability? Any others I should look at?

5. FI vs. Carbs. Is it worth the $$ to get a newer FI bike? If so, what's the advantage?

6. Should I focus on straight up MX bikes (CRF/YZF) or are trail bikes CRFx/WRs better in any way? I'm assuming CRF/YZF - but worth asking.

Appreciate any insight.

Thanks,

g

Jon
September 28th, 2013, 11:01 AM
I just use my CRF 250 for both and yes a 450 is ultimately better for both once you go racing but if you're training I've never seen the need. My 250 complete with SuperMotard set-up may soon be for sale if interested. It has a complete setup for both with a different Master Cylinder, Caliper and etc.You just swap out the wheels and brake depending on your plans. As I said a 450 may be better for racing SuperMotard but as far as I'm comcerned the 250's more than sufficient for the trails and motorcross track.

oldtimer
September 28th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Honda CRF250X

OR

Just buy Jon's it will be excellent whatever it is. 8)

gsnyder828
September 28th, 2013, 05:36 PM
I just use my CRF 250 for both and yes a 450 is ultimately better for both once you go racing but if you're training I've never seen the need. My 250 complete with SuperMotard set-up may soon be for sale if interested. It has a complete setup for both with a different Master Cylinder, Caliper and etc.You just swap out the wheels and brake depending on your plans. As I said a 450 may be better for racing SuperMotard but as far as I'm comcerned the 250's more than sufficient for the trails and motorcross track.

Thanks for the feedback. 250 sounds like it'll work fine.

Definitely interested - give a shout if you decide to sell - that setup sounds like a match for my needs...

g

marty
September 28th, 2013, 10:56 PM
FWIW you may want to give Danny Walker a call and see when he is doing the next Roadrace Factory school. Try it out to make sure you like it and if you toss it no harm no foul, they'll just roll another one out of the trailer for you. He has Yamaha 250s. I thought they were a blast not to mention the good instruction.

willionaire
September 30th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Hey Geoff,

I can't believe you used the "S" word on the MRA forum. Message me and I'll fill ya in. I've run the Colorado "S-word" series for the last few years and can give you some direction.

jgixxer1
October 4th, 2013, 07:30 PM
I'd say definitely get a 450 for anykind of asphalt riding. I'm not trying to knock hondas but the earlier ones up until I think '05 are proven to have a far less reliable top end than yamaha's five valve head design...unless it has stainless steel valve conversion. Never owned a honda 4t, but I've seen 3 of them drop valves at trackday at ppir, mra race at pueblo, and a trail ride in san isabel.

Jon
October 4th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Never had a lick of trouble with mine.Hell,it's a Honda and qhen was the last time a Honda was known to have a inherent issue.Except for the early V fours upper end oiling issue and that's been 30 years ago!

Jon
October 4th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Never had a lick of trouble with mine.Hell,it's a Honda and qhen was the last time a Honda was known to have a inherent issue.Except for the early V fours upper end oiling issue and that's been 30 years ago!

Jon
October 4th, 2013, 08:51 PM

Jon
October 4th, 2013, 08:52 PM

fosbibr
October 5th, 2013, 08:55 AM
The 1st gen Honda 4ts had some issues. I had a Honda 250x that blew a crank and it wasn't ridden hard. I'd prefer a Yamaha in this setup - although I just did buy an 05 honda 450. Go figure.