PDA

View Full Version : bogging down

jmaher
July 9th, 2013, 05:04 PM
I'm having a problem with my 09 ZX6 and looking for ideas. When I get on the throttle hard it falls on its face. Going slow the rpm's come up ok. I've cleaned the fuel tank/lines and put a new pump on it today. It does the same thing. Plugs look fine, idles fine too. Ran great last season and it started doing this this year. Any arm-chair ballpark ideas?

thanks,

Joe

marty
July 9th, 2013, 05:56 PM
I don't know much about fuel injection but have you checked the fuel pump?

jmaher
July 9th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Put a new one in today. No change.

Joe

Peanut_EOD
July 9th, 2013, 09:27 PM
It's rare, but it is possible for Power Commanders to lose a tune. It could also be a bad MAF sensor, or even a bad ECU. The 09 ZX-6R also has had factory recalls on the rectifier so it's not out of the question for other electrical parts to fail. Even with the few problems that bike has had it's a great bike. I used to have one before I got my 300.

AdamandNoahsdad
July 9th, 2013, 09:57 PM
Throttle position sensor?
Are we talking about going quickly from idle to full throttle while riding? Or just revving it in neutral with a quick snap of the throttle?
Does it run great up to 3/4 throttle but power drops off when you reach full throttle?
Please properly diagnose your bike first, don't just throw parts at it because a "the internet" says that part always breaks.
Put a volt meter on the battery and check voltage before you start it and while its running to see if the regulator is ok. Don't forget that it may not charge the battery until above a certain rpm (5k or so probably less with no lights)

DOUBLE A
July 9th, 2013, 10:32 PM
How did it dyno?

sheispoison
July 10th, 2013, 07:27 AM
I had a very similar problem last year and it turned out to be clogged injectors. Quick way to find out is measure the temp of each exhaust header. The worst clogged injector will have the hottest header due to a lean burn going on due to lack of fuel.

TRK
July 10th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Power commander. They crap out ALL the time.
Try and diagnose the issue, instead of throwing parts at it........save that for desperation at the race track :D .

rybo
July 10th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Had a similar problem with the powercommander on the ape-

easy diagnosis - take it off the bike completely and see if the bike runs better.