PDA

View Full Version : The Official Applehans turns Applesauce update thread!

The GECCO
July 1st, 2013, 08:59 AM
Hello everyone, sorry for the delays but obviously a lot has happened over the last 24 hours and Roberta and I wanted to make sure that everyone (the docs, her and I) were sure exactly what the extent of Mike's injuries are before we announced anything.

For those that know the mountain, Mike went off the turn at the end of the Picnic Grounds straight. The marks tell me (as does Mike) that he tucked the front under braking. It's one of the fastest places on the course, I guesstimate he was still going 80-90 when he left the asphalt and went into the rocks at the bottom of a drainage ditch.

Mike suffered a broken right heel (they initially thought ankle, but it's the heel), a broken right elbow (2 places), a mangled ring finger on the left hand, and the grand finale was a compound fracture of the lower left femur. In a departure from his usual crash behavior he never lost consciousness, though I'm guessing he wishes he had. Everything head, neck, spine and neuro is just fine.

He underwent surgery yesterday for the finger, elbow and femur. Apparently the femur was pretty ugly, so due to time constraints and the uncertainty of the exact nature of the ankle injury they decided to put off repairing the ankle/heel. That surgery will likely be in 2-4 days, and he may be moved to Denver first. They are happy with the status of the other repairs.

In summary, he's pretty beat up, but fortunately will recover fully in a few months. Unfortunately the bike will not. I think the shock may be salvageable, but that's probably about it.

While he's resting as comfortably as possible, he would prefer no visitors just yet. We'll let everyone know where he is when he's up for some company. I know he'll be reading the forums so please post your well wishes! Thanks to all for your support, Ro and I have both been overwhelmed with texts, calls, emails, etc. We're happy and proud to be part of the MRA family!

Ray-Ray
July 1st, 2013, 09:02 AM
Thank GOD you are OK Mike! From my family to yours we are praying for you!!

sheispoison
July 1st, 2013, 09:12 AM
Heal up quick Mikey. We were all pretty worried. Let us know if there's anything we can do.
Carl

peteremsley
July 1st, 2013, 09:14 AM
Heal quick Mike.

DOUBLE A
July 1st, 2013, 09:15 AM
Horrible news, feel better soon Mike!!

cjmagnuss
July 1st, 2013, 09:16 AM
Glad to hear you're going to be alright Mike!!! If there's anything we can do, just let us know.

asp125
July 1st, 2013, 09:17 AM
Get well soon Mike!

Bhoppy
July 1st, 2013, 09:19 AM
Sorry to hear about your get off Mike. Wish we could have been there to help... A friendly face never hurts... Heal up quickly and hope to see you soon!

Brian-Western Ambulance

Mforza
July 1st, 2013, 09:21 AM
Glad you are OK Mike! Get well soon! :shock:

tecknojoe
July 1st, 2013, 09:27 AM
Glad you're OK Mike!

Chadwick929
July 1st, 2013, 09:28 AM
Sorry to hear this, Mike! Heal up quick! If you guys need anything, please don't hesitate to ask.

jmaher
July 1st, 2013, 09:31 AM
Heal up fast Mike! I am here in the Springs so if you need anything down here, let me know!

Joe

T Baggins
July 1st, 2013, 09:40 AM
Great news that he's doing so well considering the speed and being on the mountain. Heal up quick Mike, and thanks for the updates Glenn!

gsnyder828
July 1st, 2013, 09:44 AM
Wow, that's a big list - but what a relief. Jeanine and I were really worried since hearing about it yesterday afternoon.

Take your time and heal well Mike - look forward to seeing you. Holler if you need anything.

g

R1-2NV
July 1st, 2013, 09:58 AM
Damm man. Not much for religion but I sent a prayer or 2 your way last night
So glad you are ok!

Need anything call me

Madison

Bashed
July 1st, 2013, 10:03 AM
Hope you heal quick and are back on your feet soon.
Glad to hear it isn't more serious.
You'all are in our thoughts.
The Bashes

Otis
July 1st, 2013, 10:55 AM
we're glad your head, neck, and brain are okay. We hope to see you riding again soon.

Dan and Donna

Jon
July 1st, 2013, 11:04 AM
Ditto all the above.Really hated hearing you had been floen off in the morning and no more until much later, needless to say glad you're gonna be fine.

jplracing
July 1st, 2013, 11:54 AM
Heal up quick mike!

spideyrdr
July 1st, 2013, 01:02 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Mike!

Jon
July 1st, 2013, 01:13 PM
Ditto all the above.Really hated hearing you had been floen off in the morning and no more until much later, needless to say glad you're gonna be fine.

Jon
July 1st, 2013, 01:14 PM

TRK
July 1st, 2013, 01:41 PM
Heal up quick bro.
Shannon

MotoMatt
July 1st, 2013, 01:44 PM
Mike,

Sorry to hear about your crash, and grimmacing about your injuries. We hope you have a speedy and full recovery.

Your video from last year was awesome. No doubt you were hauling the mail again this year. Perhaps, if you get bored while recovering you can re-watch it.

Cheers :-)
Matt

Throttle
July 1st, 2013, 02:44 PM
Glad it wasn't anything worse!!! Get Well.....

Smitty
July 1st, 2013, 02:49 PM
I'm down here in the springs with Joe. If you guys need anything just let us know.

TD675
July 1st, 2013, 05:24 PM
I was wondering how you did in the race and found this thread. Not good news at all. I hope you heal up quick and get back on two wheels.

cosp600rr
July 1st, 2013, 06:23 PM
Sorry to hear about the crash Mike. Heal up fast. Im also in the springs if you need anything.

MadVlad
July 1st, 2013, 08:08 PM
Wishing you a speedy recovery sauce mike! Like most said above if any help is needed with anything I'm in!

tfogguys
July 1st, 2013, 09:49 PM
:(

Here's hoping for a speedy and complete recovery! Please call me if there's anything you need help with!

FZRguy
July 2nd, 2013, 12:26 AM
Sorry to hear about your crash Mike. Hope you are feeling better soon!

JoeRSC
July 2nd, 2013, 11:28 AM
Sorry to hear about this get well soon Mike

oldtimer
July 2nd, 2013, 01:36 PM
Sorry to read about the crash, horrible! :( Glad you're in recovery Mike, heal up fast!

Wyeth and Aaron

N1K
July 2nd, 2013, 05:49 PM
Hurry up and heal man you got a bike to build!!! 8)

Bueller999
July 2nd, 2013, 06:08 PM
Sorry to hear Mike, hoping for a full speedy recovery.

jmart
July 3rd, 2013, 12:13 PM
Sorry to hear Mike. Heal up quick!

cneske
July 3rd, 2013, 09:30 PM
Get well soon Mike.

jhjelm130
July 4th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Sorry to hear about the get off Mike. Hope you get up and going soon.
Hjelm Motorsports

cneske
July 4th, 2013, 02:18 PM
Get well soon Mike

dmart
July 4th, 2013, 03:16 PM
Heal fast Mike

dirkterrell
July 4th, 2013, 10:26 PM
Mike, I just heard about this. Wishing you a complete and speedy recovery.

cneske
July 5th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Mike's crash is on YouTube now

tomtom
July 5th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Hey Mike, I hope you get better real soon, I think there's wheel chairs on loan from some seniors facilities... let me know if you need some info.
Tom

The GECCO
July 6th, 2013, 08:10 AM
Mike's crash is on YouTube now

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=related&v=0B5Qr5wTZl0

It looks like it was engineers turn not the end of picnic ground

No, that's the left at the end of the picnic grounds straight. No doubt about it.

Electroman
July 8th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Hey buddy, Thinking of you. The best.