PDA

View Full Version : Friday trackday,the weekends racing and turn ten

Jon
June 23rd, 2013, 04:43 PM
There was a brief discussion at the general meeting concerning this upcoming weekends racing dealing with what can best be described as rather sketchy conditions leading onto the front straight at PMP. As this is the most important turn on the whole track as it leads onto the fastest straight which of course leads into the fastest corner. How can we configure it to allow for a safe entry and exit onto and through the burnout area. The conditions are atrocious mostly during the morning and after Friday night drags are unlikely to improve. What if anything are peoples thoughts. Manly from those of you who have experienced a track day there. Though the discussion dealt with some sort of no passing zone am not sure if that's the best option, has anyone got any feelings on this that they'd like to share?
Personally, I feel that though there was representation concerning the road course at PMP that they didn't really consider the value of our participation at PMP or Pueblo in general and that was shown my the reconfiguration of turn ten and maybe that we should reciprocate. It PMP was of course before HPR came along was a long time favorite of the various clubs who use the roadcourse there but since the reconfiguration is at least my least favorite. I am just hoping that we as the racing membership can come to an understanding before it turns into a long drawn out discussion on raceday.

tecknojoe
June 24th, 2013, 07:58 AM
There was a brief discussion at the general meeting concerning this upcoming weekends racing dealing with what can best be described as rather sketchy conditions leading onto the front straight at PMP. As this is the most important turn on the whole track as it leads onto the fastest straight which of course leads into the fastest corner. How can we configure it to allow for a safe entry and exit onto and through the burnout area. The conditions are atrocious mostly during the morning and after Friday night drags are unlikely to improve. What if anything are peoples thoughts. Manly from those of you who have experienced a track day there. Though the discussion dealt with some sort of no passing zone am not sure if that's the best option, has anyone got any feelings on this that they'd like to share?
Personally, I feel that though there was representation concerning the road course at PMP that they didn't really consider the value of our participation at PMP or Pueblo in general and that was shown my the reconfiguration of turn ten and maybe that we should reciprocate. It PMP was of course before HPR came along was a long time favorite of the various clubs who use the roadcourse there but since the reconfiguration is at least my least favorite. I am just hoping that we as the racing membership can come to an understanding before it turns into a long drawn out discussion on raceday.

Can you describe the condition in detail (ie bumps, change of surface type, etc) and exactly where it is in relation to the apex of 10?

dave.gallant
June 24th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Here is an info graphic that sums it up:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Qhvl9Z_aB-w/T_30jpyyIuI/AAAAAAAACHk/AMBbWbOpDY8/s640/PMP_redzone.jpg

tecknojoe
June 24th, 2013, 10:22 AM
They used to come about 5 feet from that blue guardrail, but now it's way out by that new curbing. That means that at full lean, there's more space between you and the concrete wall in case of a wreck, AND you're going a little slower on the new layout. So in terms of pointing at walls and speed, it looks a lot better. Look at crashing on the new curbing vs at the blue guardrail and you can see you have a lot more space to slide out. Highside on the exit though, and you're still in a sketchy situation

So the OP sounds like there's concern about the actual surface, no?

It's too bad that can't pave a small chicane where those bulldozers are, and remove the lights

EDIT: or maybe that's an old graphic and you're actually going THROUGH those bulldozers? In that case, maybe we do have room to put in a quick chicane to keep the speeds low out of the turn 9 exit

hcr25
June 24th, 2013, 10:28 AM
There are a number of turns on the pikes peak hill climb just like turn ten at Pueblo. That being said the traction on the mountain road is a lot better then the polished concrete burnout boxes.
Have fun see ya Saturday.

dave.gallant
June 24th, 2013, 10:28 AM
The surface was (is?) slick as snot and the walls are in all of the WRONG places.

But, hey, if you think it looks better, have fun and be safe!

tecknojoe
June 24th, 2013, 10:33 AM
I think it looks slightly better, not perfect. I didn't even consider racing pueblo until a week ago when I saw that it looks a little better. Still dangerous for sure. Trying to help with a solution. If we can keep the speeds lower out of 9 I think it'll leave enough room for sliding out if you crash in 10

dave.gallant
June 24th, 2013, 10:35 AM
I think it looks slightly better, not perfect. I didn't even consider racing pueblo until a week ago when I saw that it looks a little better. Still dangerous for sure. Trying to help with a solution. If we can keep the speeds lower out of 9 I think it'll leave enough room for sliding out if you crash in 10

Just curious -- Have you ridden the new configuration yet?

tecknojoe
June 24th, 2013, 10:40 AM

Just curious -- Have you ridden the new configuration yet?

I've never ridden pueblo, only watched from directly behind that guardrail (during old configuration)

From video, the speeds look slower. and again, I agree not completely safe.

But this thread could be used as a brainstorming session to find a way to slow it down if there's enough concern

T Baggins
June 24th, 2013, 10:45 AM
To answer the original question from Jon, yes this is and has been a topic of the MRA Board - and we will be formalizing a Plan A, Plan B, Plan C - with the already known ABSOLUTE that we DO NOT run races there if even a drop of rain falls. One drop of rain = RED FLAG.

The configuration, imo, is worse than before because of the additional Armco and proximity to the race line.

We will do everything in our power to mitigate the safety concern in Turn 10.

aspenbum
June 24th, 2013, 10:49 AM
I think jon is worried about the available traction on the surface of the burnout box which is very limited to say the least. Basically there are two lines through t10. One goes around the outside of the box directly next to the wall. The other line is an exit that puts you on the center concrete strip that the drag lights are mounted on. You really cant apply lean, brake, or power to any part of the burnout box without sliding the tire. So it will be extremely hard and dangerous to pass in that turn.

Jon
June 24th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Aspenbum got it correct. As I said earlier, we're racing bikes here not doing parade laps.Regardless, of the fact that I consider myself an experienced, professional and safety minded racer, I'm also competitive as all hell.If the fellow in front of me goes balls to the wall and highsides himself into space and subsequently a wall I may very well be doing the same thing right behind him.

HAMMER
June 24th, 2013, 02:37 PM
pueblo is awesome !!!!! :D don't go fast through 10 if you don't want too...... its your choice .... maybe the guy behind you has larger balls :shock: and will and may just pass you down the straight .... buuuutttttttt that just means you need to out brake his ass into turn 1 like a motogp rider !!!!! :evil: :evil:

cya pussys on Friday!!!!!! :!:

Jon
June 24th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Yeah I'm gonna outbrake, out accelerate and get the drive and run right over your ass there Hammer :lol:

Christman29
June 24th, 2013, 08:26 PM
It has nothing to do with balls..........in my opinion if you do turn 10 correctly (and don't have any kind of brake or other mechanical failure) i didn't feel like the barriers were the real dangerous part......

Let me back up a second.....i rode there a few weeks ago and no one told me about the polished concrete. I have been riding there a ton since the late 90's so i went out on my first lap kinda slow checking out the new asphalt.....got to turn 10 on my first lap and went extra slow.....then accelerated out of it onto the dragstrip and proceeded to highside my brains out!!! It is like it used to be when it was wet, but now it's like that all the time. My bike was also spinning effortlessly in 6th gear well past start/finish!!!

I'm with Jon, it used to probably be my favorite track and now it is atleast my least favorite also!

I'll race there, but no matter how big your balls are (and mine are plenty big), it is not smart to go there and throw your shit down the road!!

nobasin
June 25th, 2013, 09:51 AM
last year when we were first dealing with the new config, the safest, but hardly fastest way through 10 was to completely square it up and get straight up as fast as possible right on the center concrete strip. it was still so slippery that you could highside while perfectly straight up (ask mike applehans) if you put too much power down too early, but at least you weren't trying to deal with it while leaned over. i also recall we had some sort of no passing rule in 10, but i'm not sure my memory is correct there.

cjmagnuss
June 25th, 2013, 10:27 AM
I recall everyone kinda pussy footing through turn 10 last year and then I went over to watch ROR and Turpin and Otis were going through it with no hesitation and they were rolling right over the burnout boxes cracked open. It was humbling to say the least.

Although sounds like from Rob, its a lot worse this year. Is that a true statement? Why is that? Have they polished up boxes more?

bcmoore
June 25th, 2013, 08:13 PM
I recall everyone kinda pussy footing through turn 10 last year and then I went over to watch ROR and Turpin and Otis were going through it with no hesitation and they were rolling right over the burnout boxes cracked open. It was humbling to say the least.

Although sounds like from Rob, its a lot worse this year. Is that a true statement? Why is that? Have they polished up boxes more?

Traction control???

cjmagnuss
June 26th, 2013, 07:57 AM
I'm sure to some degree. Probably more so the control and balance they have over the bike as it spins up over varying surfaces

DOUBLE A
June 26th, 2013, 09:04 AM
I like to party! :D

Jon
June 26th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Yeah we know Aaron it shows when you're late to the track in the mornings and reek of cigarettes and dirty women :lol:

Chadwick929
June 27th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Yeah we know Aaron it shows when you're late to the track in the mornings and reek of cigarettes and dirty women :lol:
I'm not that dirty.... wait. :shock:

DOUBLE A
June 27th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Ahhh good tymes! You forgot vomiting on pit lane :lol:

Jon
June 27th, 2013, 10:34 AM
All part of your MO there HOT ROD. I remember Otis back in the day pretty much doing the same though for different reasons :lol:

N1K
July 1st, 2013, 11:41 AM
How did it turn out what did all of you think?