PDA

View Full Version : Status of MRA Online Presence and a Request From the Prez...

T Baggins
June 21st, 2013, 09:25 AM
The question was recently asked in another forum if the MRA Website and associated links was "ever gonna be fixed?"

The answer is:

No, "it" (the old MRA website) is never going to be fixed. The death of the server it was living on necessitates a COMPLETE rebuild and do-over. Which is fine really, 'cause universally I think everyone agreed that the old site sucked anyway. The timing maybe not so perfect, but life dishes out and the MRA gratefully and willingly receives.

The temporary site will no doubt draw complaints due to a lack of functionality and excitement - and the new site likely won't be done fast enough to please most... unless someone out there is simply dying to build one for the MRA for free within the next 24 hours...

Thank you Mike Lakritz for jumping in and taking over the hosting and temporary website solution. And thank you Dave Gallant and Dan Sallis for doing everything in your capability to keep the old cold fusion server alive for as long as you did.

The forums will be moving to a new server as well, but will need to be updated to a current bbs format and then transferred. I can all but guarantee that there will be some sort of service interruption, but of course we'll do our best to minimize the impact on the members.

Please let me remind you all that the MRA (and all of our online resources) is "for fun" and that the world isn't going to end simply because you can't post your favorite cat video on the forums or can't access your points standings or lap-times instantaneously. Much of the work going into this is completely volunteered, non-compensated time from OUR members, and for the board members working on it - it is one more thing on our plates which we hadn't appropriately budgeted time and resources for.

I'm just trying to put it all in perspective here, and really you should know that we're dying behind the scenes this year (since February in fact...) trying to make all this new shit work. Having the extra burden of building a new website and forum, on top of working out the kinks of the RaceWurx (and MRA raceday processes as a result), and still trying to host profitable, safe and fun events is extremely difficult to say the least.

Not looking for sympathy for the Board, we all signed up for this. It would be great, however, if the members could either cut us a little slack - or come to us with SOLUTIONS that YOU'RE willing to run with to HELP the situation, rather than complaining about how things aren't perfectly meeting your specific needs.

Please and thank you.

Peanut_EOD
June 22nd, 2013, 07:49 AM
I didn't intend for it to sound like a complaint. I was just curios. If it isn't going to be fixed I'll just trying to go to it. No big deal. Thanks for the update.