PDA

View Full Version : Drones & racetracks...

rohorn
May 31st, 2013, 11:10 PM
Has anyone used a small drone for camera use at a track yet?

Would that even be allowed?

I'm guessing that one high over a corner would result in some great line analysis video. Or one chasing a bike would result in some very entertaining video. Or a bunch of them chasing a bunch of bikes could result in, well, all sorts of, uh, entertainment as well.

I'm not in any position to try that (yet), but I was wondering if anyone else has thought about it.

HAMMER
June 1st, 2013, 01:05 AM
:D

rybo
June 1st, 2013, 05:17 PM
Keith has flown his RC helicopter over the racetrack after it's been cold, but I don't think that the club would be for managing vehicles over the racing surface yet. I can't imagine what would go through my mind if one had an error and came crashing down on top of me while racing.

Jon
June 1st, 2013, 06:05 PM
Yeah hell I'm constantly looking up waiting for one of those damn planes leaving or coming into DIA to come crashing down. Though it hasn't happened yet, I think maybe we should make them aware that it's a lawsuit just waiting to happen :lol:
Actually during round 1 one of the corner workers decided it's be best to stand directly in the runoff outside of turn 11 on Saturday during Heavyweight Supersport and that Was a huge distraction though someone eventually prior to Sundays racing apairently said something to them because Thankfully they were gone.

WolFeYeZ
June 1st, 2013, 09:28 PM
Actually during round 1 one of the corner workers decided it's be best to stand directly in the runoff outside of turn 11 on Saturday during Heavyweight Supersport and that Was a huge distraction though someone eventually prior to Sundays racing apairently said something to them because Thankfully they were gone.

I noticed that same thing and it definitely bugged me.

On the note of flying objects over the race track though, there was a crop duster that was probably 300 ft above the track as I came through turn 12 and to 13 during round 1. Scared the shit out of me at first because it was so low.

Peanut_EOD
June 1st, 2013, 09:49 PM
At Chuckwalla there is a runway that ends right behind the bowl, so occasionally you'll have a plane take off right over you. :shock:

bcmoore
June 1st, 2013, 10:12 PM
At Buttonwillow they use one of the long straights as a runway...

Jon
June 3rd, 2013, 06:02 AM
It was the same long long ago at the Deland Airport/ track in Deland, Florida. I'm kind of glaf they're getting away from that though it's fun to out run a Cessna :lol:

motolitho
June 3rd, 2013, 10:21 AM
I would love the chance to fly our drone (s)- and have brought it up before. It does not need to be flown over the racing surface and is small enough to not be a distraction (I would think). We have plenty of other applications that we will be pursuing (as soon as the FAA lets us). Here is an idea of what we are doing- we have the same tech.

Our rig is Full FPV (can be flown remotely -out of line of sight), and has GPS orientation control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESYr2y-WOeE&feature=youtu.be

Chris Burford
MRA 216

motolitho
June 3rd, 2013, 10:25 AM
Here is some of our footage from Red Rocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngi2pf_tJN4

What do we have to do to get this approved?

N1K
June 4th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Thats Cool Man! Would love to see some Mra races from these!!!

Peanut_EOD
June 4th, 2013, 03:24 PM
As long as it's not right above the track I don't see a problem with it.

Chadwick929
June 4th, 2013, 04:12 PM
This would be awesome. I wanted to get one while I was still shooting, but never invested the money.

Munch
June 4th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Anyone flying a DJI Phantom by chance?

Chaos
June 5th, 2013, 12:59 AM

I noticed that same thing and it definitely bugged me.

I was working corner 11 on Sunday, and yep they did tell us to make sure not to stand in the line of sight of the riders after 10 down the small straight into 11.

motolitho
June 5th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Anyone flying a DJI Phantom by chance?

We use DJI stuff, but not the Phantom kit. The Hex we use is built up DJI F550.

Munch
June 5th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Sweet setup, I outta talk to you trackside, considering one...

Ray-Ray
June 6th, 2013, 12:46 PM
Sorry Gentlemen! There will be NO drones flown over HPR. Both HPR and MRA's insurance will not allow that to happen.

Chadwick929
June 6th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Sorry Gentlemen! There will be NO drones flown over HPR. Both HPR and MRA's insurance will not allow that to happen.

http://cdn.techipedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/ban_him_sm1.jpg

:lol:

rohorn
June 6th, 2013, 06:01 PM
There will be NO drones flown over HPR.

Understandable.

Pikes Peak Hill Climb?

Those Team BlackSheep videos amaze me. Among other skills, I'm guessing that there's loads of image stabilization work done to those.

Disclaimer: I have no experience with these other than an introduction to the subject in Make magazine a few years ago, lurking at the DIY Drones site, and playing with Arduinos and inertial sensors at my desk for an eternally unfinished project. But the DJI Phantom at Amazon and a Parallax Elev-8 kit at the local Micro Center are what got me to ask about it here.

motolitho
June 7th, 2013, 10:39 AM
We use a highly advanced gimbal that is controlled with brushless motors. When you hold it in you hand- and move it- it almost looks alive. No image stabilization needed.

Thanks for checking Ray Ray/Louden, etc..

Chris Burford

MRA #216

rforsythe
June 7th, 2013, 04:00 PM

Of course there's nothing to prevent you from hanging out of the door of a Cessna at low altitude that may or may not be circling the track... 8)

Scored51
June 7th, 2013, 05:50 PM
So what you're really saying is that IF a drone were to observe all FAA minimum regs it could accomplish the task without bothering any insurance policy holders? Of course you'd probably have to do a decent weight and balance for the lens you'd need. :twisted:

rohorn
June 7th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Of course there's nothing to prevent you from hanging out of the door of a Cessna at low altitude that may or may not be circling the track... 8)

Anyone know anybody at Red Bull?

rforsythe
June 9th, 2013, 04:26 PM
So what you're really saying is that IF a drone were to observe all FAA minimum regs it could accomplish the task without bothering any insurance policy holders? Of course you'd probably have to do a decent weight and balance for the lens you'd need. :twisted:

:lol: Yup. I've personally tested the distraction capabilities of such a device at MMP in the past, seems riders are just fine with the 500' rule. Of course you need one mother of a lens to make that vantage point worthwhile, otherwise you're just getting a lot of aerial shots of the track layout.