PDA

View Full Version : Used race leathers cleaning...

MadVlad
May 15th, 2013, 09:23 PM
So bought a set of used Tecknic leathers and well the leather itself needs some replenishing and a bit of cleaning so would like to know the best ways to clean that there and also there's a minor musty/humid smell that I'd like to get rid of but I've never cleaned anything like this for that matter. Any help and ideas appreciated! Thank you!

asp125
May 15th, 2013, 10:09 PM
When I took my jacket to Nate for repairs he cleaned it with something called Lexol

MadVlad
May 15th, 2013, 10:45 PM
When I took my jacket to Nate for repairs he cleaned it with something called Lexol

Oh okay, we sell that at work... Juat gotta figure out what to do about the slight musty smell inside the leathers cause as much as I'll be using them this season I don't want it to get worse.

NossLou
May 16th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Agreed on the Lexol... can pic up the cleaner and conditioner at any auto parts store. If you don't want to do it yourself take it to Nate, but I think he is buried in suit repairs currently.

To be honest all our suits end up smelling like crap...try febreezing the inside, or spraying it down with your ladies favorite perfume, or even better soak it in some VP MRX... then it will stink of race gas forever! Cleaning and conditioning is the only way to make it smell just ok rather than horrid.... Febreeze and let it sit out for a few days....

pilotbarr
May 16th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Cleaning leathers?

Put them in the sun. Wear them in the rain. Then they are good to go.

MadVlad
May 16th, 2013, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the input guys, just never had a set of leathers before and just wanted to know what the methods were and what not but seems pretty simple. I always thought about using the leather cleaning stuff we have here at work for car leather but didn't know if the cleaning components and compounds were different and what not cause I don't want to ruin the leathers of course.

asp125
May 16th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Yeah the musty smell? Try taking a shower and using deodorant ! ;) lol..

Some leathers have removable washable liners and some riders wear long sleeved Under Armor to stave off the funk. But all leathers eventually smell.

ZiaThunder
May 17th, 2013, 09:46 AM
So bought a set of used Tecknic leathers and well the leather itself needs some replenishing and a bit of cleaning so would like to know the best ways to clean that there and also there's a minor musty/humid smell that I'd like to get rid of but I've never cleaned anything like this for that matter. Any help and ideas appreciated! Thank you!

I sent my leathers to Barnacle Bill for cleaning, but it takes some time, he told me he needed a week just for the cleaning. It was worth it.

sheispoison
May 17th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Take them to Bloodnickle. Nate will make them good as new.
carl

DOUBLE A
May 17th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Take them to Bloodnickle. Nate will make them good as new.
carl

At a mile high, this is the easiest 'No Brainer"!! :D