PDA

View Full Version : How does scoring work on 2 wave starts?

TD675
May 14th, 2013, 08:30 PM
I've asked a few people this question and have gotten varied answers. If a race has enough riders in it to justify starting in two or more waves, how does the scoring work? If I start in wave two, do I need to catch up to wave 1 and pass a bunch of people? Or does it go based on the overall time of how quickly a rider finished the alotted amount of laps?

mkdiehl
May 14th, 2013, 09:13 PM
It is scored how you finish regardless of where/when you start.

TD675
May 14th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Why is that? It seems like kind of an unfair way to do it.

rybo
May 15th, 2013, 06:42 AM
It is a sprint race and it is scored as such. The first person to cross the finish line wins. To do it any other way would produce a "theoretical" winner. Sure the person on the last row of the second wave may have turned a faster lap time, but could they have maintained it if they were racing with others that were going at or near that pace? Did the leader have some "extra" in the tank if they had been challenged?

The two wave start exists for rider safety. You don't want 57 bikes going into T1 all together. The fast riders from Round1 will have filtered up through the points to being in the first wave at round Round 2.

Is it ideal? No. Is it the best available solution? I think so.

Scott

T Baggins
May 15th, 2013, 08:16 AM
And eventually the riders who "finish in the second wave" will start in the second wave... and those who "finish in the first wave" will start in the first wave.

The first race is the toughest because there are people who start with "no points" and have to work their way to the front.

tecknojoe
May 15th, 2013, 10:19 AM
You don't want 57 bikes going into T1 all together.
Scott

Well, maybe YOU don't :twisted:

kidding

Chadwick929
May 15th, 2013, 10:43 AM
The first race is the toughest because there are people who start with "no points" and have to work their way to the front.
Like me. I'm praying the 14th place finish in AmO was enough to start in the 1st wave next round.

tecknojoe
May 15th, 2013, 10:47 AM
So now that there are riders with points, will I be stuck in the back row since I did not ride in round 1? Or does it still go by registration date?

WolFeYeZ
May 15th, 2013, 10:51 AM
By points for those that have points, then registration time for those afterwards :(

Fastt Racing
May 15th, 2013, 12:57 PM
In almost all cases the MRA has chosen at least a 7 row 1st wave. If you finished better than 21st you will be in the first wave on Round 2. Points from last season only carry over to the registration for Round 1. Once the race begins everyone has 0 points, and are scored straight up based on their finish. You can find the "Points Award" in section 7.3 of the MRA Rulebook.