PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to know about racing a 250

cosp600rr
May 14th, 2013, 07:08 AM
Hey all you 250 racers. Please enlighten me on what I need to know to race a 250. What are the set up tricks and what not for the bike handling and such that I need to know. Suspension tricks? Who has the best body work for the right price? Stuff like that.

I want it to handle decent my first time out so what do I need to know. I am usually 145-150 pounds with out gear on.

Any help would be great.

Jon
May 14th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Good to see you dabbling with the thought of returning Casey!

cosp600rr
May 14th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Jon, This is Mat Muldoon. Not Casey.

T Baggins
May 14th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Mat, I can tell you everything you need to know... but it's really easy

Vortex or Woodcraft rearsets

Woodcraft 3-piece clip-ons

Area P pipe or better.... they're all pretty cheep

Stock fork springs, change from 10wt to 20wt oil

Add 40mm PVC pipe preload, or use the preload adjusters cause they look cooler

Stock rear shock on the middle or second to stiffest setting

Drill a second hole in the shock linkage dog-leg .7" further "up" to jack up ride height in the rear.

Front fork height depends on which tires you're running

Ideal geometry is 11 deg swingarm angle, 24 deg fork angle +/-

T Baggins
May 14th, 2013, 08:22 AM
The other thing you need to know is that they're really cheap to race, and really really effin fun! :D

Peanut_EOD
May 14th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Everything Tony said, but add Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators, some kind of tuning, and Polymoto Engineering Links to jack up the rear. If you have short legs like me only use Vortex rearsets. Also get a Ninja 300 to race.

T Baggins
May 14th, 2013, 09:46 AM
Yeah, sorry... def gotta jet the bike after you put a pipe on it.

The emulators and links are great I'm sure... but they cost money and most of us don't run them.

My solutions are free. :D

Forgot, the 415 chain conversion is a good upgrade. Takes 3.5 lbs off the drivetrain. Not necessary, but every little bit helps.

nobasin
May 14th, 2013, 09:56 AM
aside from the ceramic wheel bearings, would this ninja be legal in our 250 classes? is the '08 a good year?

http://weraclassifieds.com/ads/08-ninja-250r/#axzz2TC2nJzBQ

Ray-Ray
May 14th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Hammer is selling his!! Already setup and ready to go!

T Baggins
May 14th, 2013, 10:06 AM
aside from the ceramic wheel bearings, would this ninja be legal in our 250 classes? is the '08 a good year?

The wheel bearings and the manual cam chain tensioner would both have to go back to stock.

Not sure why anyone would run the manual tensioner on one of these anyway...?

'08 - '12 are all identical

Mforza
May 14th, 2013, 10:37 AM
For the bodywork I have to say Motoforza :D

Contact me if you need it. I have new set right here.

Motoforza also have rearsets for the 250.

Peanut_EOD
May 14th, 2013, 03:19 PM

The wheel bearings would have to go back to stock.

Wrong, the All Balls bearings are not ceramic. They are a direct OEM replacement. They're like $10.00 a set and ceramic are more like $350 a set.

T Baggins
May 14th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Either way the rules don't allow for "direct OEM replacement". If it doesn't have the Kawi part number on it, it's no good... :D

nobasin
May 14th, 2013, 03:28 PM

The wheel bearings would have to go back to stock.

Wrong, the All Balls bearings are not ceramic. They are a direct OEM replacement. They're like $10.00 a set and ceramic are more like $350 a set.

yup, seems you are correct. they are just regular plain old replacement bearings but as tony just said, no go.

Peanut_EOD
May 14th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Either way the rules don't allow for "direct OEM replacement". If it doesn't have the Kawi part number on it, it's no good... :D

Really? That's pretty anal.

lars
May 14th, 2013, 03:56 PM

Guess I'll be protesting peanut next race weekend:)

T Baggins
May 14th, 2013, 04:30 PM

Only way to keep it fair is to declare, definitively, what is allowed and isn't - and keep it bone stock to be certain.

If you start allowing "OEM replacements" you know there will be a competitive advantage in there somewhere, eventually if not right from the get go.

And why would you "upgrade" to the other bearings if they weren't an upgrade? :-k

Peanut_EOD
May 14th, 2013, 08:55 PM
I haven't, I'm just saying that's anal. Lars you should protest me. \:D/

lars
May 14th, 2013, 09:34 PM
I haven't, I'm just saying that's anal. Lars you should protest me. \:D/

uh huh, the couple hours it took you to respond have nothing to do with you working in the garage swapping those bearings out do they? :D

cosp600rr
May 15th, 2013, 05:05 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I figured you all would have the answers. I look forward to racing with you all at the next round. I hope I can figure out how to ride it at least mildly well.

Jon
May 15th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Sorry Matt,
I had a senior moment which is allowed at my age. Welcome back

Peanut_EOD
May 15th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Don't forget to get some kind of traction control system like Magnet Marelli.

cosp600rr
May 15th, 2013, 06:20 AM
Anybody have a picture of the linkage drilled for raising the rear of the bike. I dont have the bike yet and maybe its obvious once I look at it but maybe it would help to see it so I dont mess it up.

How about front race stands? What are people using for these little bikes?

Tire warmers? do I need to get a set that are made for the smaller tires or can I use the ones for my 600 that fit on the 190 rear tire I use on it? So many little things to think about before the race. I hope I dont forget anything.

I think Ill take my chances on the traction control. I know its a lot to handle but maybe Ill be ok for a while. LOL

Thanks again.

lars
May 15th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Anybody have a picture of the linkage drilled for raising the rear of the bike. I dont have the bike yet and maybe its obvious once I look at it but maybe it would help to see it so I dont mess it up.

How about front race stands? What are people using for these little bikes?

Tire warmers? do I need to get a set that are made for the smaller tires or can I use the ones for my 600 that fit on the 190 rear tire I use on it? So many little things to think about before the race. I hope I dont forget anything.

I think Ill take my chances on the traction control. I know its a lot to handle but maybe Ill be ok for a while. LOL

Thanks again.

I use my pitbull from my street bike but the forks are narrow and you need to make sure you have the stand centered.

T Baggins
May 15th, 2013, 09:06 AM
I use the "under the triple" front stand from pitbull

Standard 120 front warmer, but I use a 165 sized warmer on the rear. 190 might have the elements "not" contacting the tire and could burn up...

Peanut_EOD
May 15th, 2013, 03:17 PM
I use tire warmers made for a 190 rear and I haven't had any problems yet.

Sorry Tony, I'm really not trying to contradict everything you say. It's just working out that way.

Ray-Ray
May 15th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Sorry Tony, I'm really not trying to contradict everything you say. It's just working out that way.

You're DOING it All WRONG Peanut!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

T Baggins
May 15th, 2013, 08:02 PM
send me your phone number and I'll text you the pix of my linkage drilled. 303-907-1941

T Baggins
May 15th, 2013, 08:03 PM
I use tire warmers made for a 190 rear and I haven't had any problems yet.

No worries man, just don't want him to burn shit up unnecessarily...

Bueller999
May 15th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Busa lowering links will bolt directly up and will raise the rear of the ninjette 1.5 inch.

HAMMER
May 15th, 2013, 09:27 PM
yep mine is dialed... if nobody buys I will whoop your asses on it next time !!!

maybe......... :shock:

cosp600rr
May 15th, 2013, 09:31 PM
So I picked one up tonight. Just need to finish building it and then to see if I can even ride it. Should be interesting to say the least.