PDA

View Full Version : Do rain or intermediates use tire warmers?

MotoMatt
May 8th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Basic question of what needs tire warmers and when. I understand racing slicks do not work without being warmed first. DOT's are supposed to warm quickly, but still watch it for the first lap or two.

It looks like Supersport is required to run DOT's. So, I am guessing some folks run without warmers.

I don't have warmer and generator setup. So, will have to tip toe around on DOT's.

Thanks

Matt

Sol Performance
May 8th, 2013, 10:12 AM
Warmers are not mandatory for any tire.

You can run slicks without warmers. But you risk cold tearing them while riding around waiting for them to warm up to operational temps. However, if you bring them up to temp gradually.. ( riding at 50% for a lap, then 60%, then 70% etc) you will be fine. But during a race... Ain't nobody got time for that!

Same for DOTs.

Rains and wets are a different category. People run them with and without warmers. Fact of the matter is that rain tires do get warmer than ambient temps when on the track. Depending on conditions is how warm they get. More standing water is less heat and vice versa. So since these do get warm on the track it would be best to start the race warm. Just like you would with slicks or DOTs. However, you can probably set the warmers to a warm setting and not high. Also keep in mind that rain tires are meant to work by 3 different methods. Groove design, mechanical grip and chemical grip.

Keep in mind that you have the warm up lap and the wait for the race to start onto play.

Can't go into this more now but would be glad to talk to you about it if you feel like.

Oscar

shRED
May 8th, 2013, 02:34 PM
PM sent.

J