PDA

View Full Version : OK, who is still rippin on 2-Smokes?

Just-Us Racing
March 21st, 2013, 07:04 PM
So who is gonna be joining me in some friendly battles this season and for years to come hopefully???

I started roadracing a long time ago with the CRA in MN and moved out here for work, went to the Jan 13 MRA meeting and was blown away at how "family" like this club is! Can't wait to meet everyone!

I will be running my 2000 Honda RS250 a few weekends this year and rebuilding a 1992 Yamaha TZ250 over the next year and a half... 2014 will see me on the TZ more than the Honda for training and then the TZ gets crated up and shipped to the Isle of Man in 2015 for me to attempt the new Classic TT races over there...

That's my story, follow my Facebook page in my sig line below if your interested, what's your story? ;)

Cheers,

Adam

Jon
March 21st, 2013, 07:37 PM
Adam, I beleive you'll meet the three others who we have on two smokes one being of course our mutual buddy Stewart and then John Hjelm and I'm just hoping him and his dad bring the RS's out and of course Marty.
Back in the 90's-2003 maybe 4 we had a formula 2 and 3 class but as these bikes have been slowly phased out so were the classes. I as a matter a fact had a very quick TZ250 that I and Geoff Cesmat used to share and occasionally Don Hough would come smoke everyone on a borrowed TZ. Regardless I'm sure you'll find your way here and a class that you can compete in.

TRK
March 21st, 2013, 08:18 PM
Not sure if I am fast enough, but it sure would be cool to race the little bike class at the Isle!!!!!!

Ray-Ray
March 22nd, 2013, 06:46 AM
Welcome to the MRA. You are correct we are a big family! The general meeting are nothing!! Wait to you join us at the track!

As Jon said we have a couple 2-smokes that join us on occasion. Tony still has his 2fiddy and maybe someone can convince him to bring it out... BUT, that would require him to actually WORK on a bike and I'm not sure that's gonna happen....

AdamandNoahsdad
March 24th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Adam what classes are you going to be running your RS in? Hopefully we will be getting our RS125 finished in time to at least bring it out for a few races this year.
Tony promised us he would break the protective layer of dust off of his TZ250 and bring it out every chance he gets. Although he did admit he found Indiana Jones in his garage looking at it the other day, but he couldn't get it started either. Indy says it still needs the fork seals replaced. (I'm just kidding, I actually hear Tony has it sealed in a glass display case and polishes it regularly)
Come on Tony! You know you want to ride it!
Its nice to hear there are a few more 2 strokes that will be out there this year.

shRED
March 24th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Could anyone provide what the 4 stroke equivalent of a TZ250 is? Would you say acceleration like a ... ? CBR 600? More? Corners like a. ... [insert comparable 4 stroke here]...

I have 0 2-Stroke streetbike experience, but I have a CR500 that I've got some seat time on.

Just curious! I know what the CR500 is like, oh momma.

J

Bueller999
March 24th, 2013, 12:06 PM
I would guess a 450 super mono would be about the closest match. Those 4t MX engines are about as 2 stroke as a 4 gets.

aitkensr
March 24th, 2013, 04:14 PM
I'm definitely planning to come out and play at a few rounds this season. I'm still trying to figure out how to chase the national points with the USGPRU, but some of those rounds a just too darn far away (loudon!) to make the haul. So you'll likely see me out there this year on my little 125.

marty
March 24th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Could anyone provide what the 4 stroke equivalent of a TZ250 is? Would you say acceleration like a ... ? CBR 600? More? Corners like a. ... [insert comparable 4 stroke here]...

I have 0 2-Stroke streetbike experience, but I have a CR500 that I've got some seat time on.

Just curious! I know what the CR500 is like, oh momma.

J

A Moto 2 bike or maybe a Pierobon. Neither is as inexpensive as a TZ or RS 250. 2 smokes aren't too hard to figure out, ask Brownie :lol:

GP 250s are nothing like a street bike. They are light and nimble and accelerate very well. Weigh around 250lbs wet and put out between 70-90+ HP. They have no extra parts, easy on tires, very little wiring, super easy to work on and come set up to be a race bike. They are as fast as a late 90s 600 as far as acceleration if set up well. Nothing corners like a 2 stroke GP bike. Maybe a Moriwaki if comparing them to 125s.

If you are looking for a 2 stroke GP 250 or 125 now is a good time to look around. Parts aren't too scarce and it is as close to a factory bike as us mere mortals can afford. My 250 is spoken for but I still have a 125 and 50cc for sale

As for the OP, hopefully I can get out for a few rounds but I will be hitting up track days for sure. That is if I can fit into my leathers ...

Throttleroller277
March 25th, 2013, 02:44 PM
not sure about workin on them, as I basically had the "12 Volt Tavern/Racing" Factory ride thing going on, mechanic and all.... but from a rider's perspective I'd agree with what Marty said..... was fun to ride to. 8)

Titus
April 16th, 2013, 01:25 AM
Sniff, sniff. I thought I smelled blue smoke somewhere!

I'm new to the 2T club, I picked up a 94 tz250 frame & parts from a local legend last year, it's about 80% ready now. I've been caught up with other projects lately, but I hope to get it on track a few times this year!

It's great to see more 2-smoker enthusiasts out there!

T Baggins
April 16th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Get your shit together Titus! You've been "working" on that thing forever! :lol:

Just-Us Racing
April 16th, 2013, 09:32 AM
For sure Titus! You need some help look me up man! I love tinkering on these things!

T Baggins, you gonna dust that TZ of yours off and figure out how to run it again with us??? ;)

T Baggins
April 16th, 2013, 09:47 AM
For sure Titus! You need some help look me up man! I love tinkering on these things!

T Baggins, you gonna dust that TZ of yours off and figure out how to run it again with us??? ;)

We'll see... It's been sitting for a while so I'm sure it needs fork seals, etc... or at least some brake-kleen on pre-grid... :lol:

sheispoison
April 17th, 2013, 01:17 PM

We'll see... It's been sitting for a while so I'm sure it needs fork seals, etc... or at least some brake-kleen on pre-grid... :lol:

Uh... Fork seals.

rybo
April 17th, 2013, 02:18 PM

Tony -

If you let all of the oil out of the forks they won't leak.

Titus
April 17th, 2013, 09:37 PM
Get your shit together Titus! You've been "working" on that thing forever! :lol:

For sure!!!

Who wants to help me measure cylinder bore??? I need to decide which cylinders to use first & buy pistons/top end kit.

Just-Us Racing
April 17th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Lets do it man!!!

marty
April 18th, 2013, 02:28 PM

For sure!!!

Who wants to help me measure cylinder bore??? I need to decide which cylinders to use first & buy pistons/top end kit.

I have a bore gauge :D

Titus
July 2nd, 2013, 11:51 PM

For sure!!!

I have a bore gauge :D

And she is a very pretty bore gauge!

Making progress! Thanks Marty!