PDA

View Full Version : GPS Lap Timers and Data Aquisition

shRED
February 4th, 2013, 10:58 AM
After a couple run-off's/distractions trying to get my lap timer to read, looking seriously into GPS versions.

I'm looking at a range from the QStarz BTQ1000 up to the XT Racing GPX Pro at the high end.

Has anyone used the little QStarz unit? Seems like a lot of guys really like it. My goals are relatively accurate lap times (I don't care about .02 of a second), potentially seeing patterns in acceleration, braking, and maintenance throttle, and just having it work without trying to line up the IR all the time. If I need to not have instant feedback re: times, that's probably OK. If information after practice was good enough for King Kenny, I'm sure its good enough for me.

The other option I am considering is to hook a 12v battery to my IR module to make the signal strength much stronger. Right now I have to have the timing unit (XT Racing regular one) lined directly up to the IR, and its a bit of a distraction making sure its reading. I do put new batteries in it frequently to make sure its at top power, but with the same result as described. Sometimes other guys will put units out on the track too, and that reeks havoc on trying to know what you are doing completely.

ANY input on this topic is appreciated, whether on point or wild tangents. Just would like to understand the lay of the land on this.

Thanks guys,

Jason

rforsythe
February 5th, 2013, 11:15 AM
No experience with the Qstarz personally, but couldn't be happer with the GPX Pro. Brian at Speedin' hooked me up with a great deal on it, and I like that it gives me a dash presentation as well. The DAQ is also good to have, as you can log various parameters (like brake pressure, TPS, etc). Also XT Racing's customer service has proven to be top notch, and the 2nd-gen GPX Pro timer is quite durable. Their software is also quality stuff, which is important since off-track analysis is a big part of this tool overall.

All in all I'd go big (and did) on that one, but if the Qstarz does what you want and you don't need the extra GPX features, no reason you shouldn't save some money.

Throttleroller277
February 5th, 2013, 11:56 AM
After a couple run-off's/distractions trying to get my lap timer to read, looking seriously into GPS versions.

Jason

I just count the seconds.... the tenths get a little tough crossing start finish though..... 8)

spideyrdr
February 5th, 2013, 01:48 PM
If you have a GoPro, use that!

I've used the footage from my GoPro to get very decent lap time feedback. Not at all sophisticated, but works like a charm - just load the video in a program that lets you go frame-by-frame such as Avidemux, calculate the time between the same reference spot (such as the starting line, and you'll be within a tenth of a second or so easily. Usually when I am bored on a Monday following races, I'll go through my footage and my lap times calculated from the video is consistently within 0.05s of what is eventually posted online. Plus nothing beats a Monday like reliving the races frame-by-frame!

Jamie

shRED
February 5th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Jeff, I'm going to start practicing now. One one thousand, two two thousand, three three thousand.......

Throttleroller277
February 5th, 2013, 05:14 PM
for tenths you are gonna have to count faster than that my friend !!!

Bueller999
February 5th, 2013, 05:33 PM
I use a free app on and old phone, it is very close to the MRA timing.

oldtimer
February 6th, 2013, 08:48 AM
GPX has been user friendly for us, and the service from XT is excellent. Highly recommended!

MotoMatt
April 24th, 2013, 10:10 PM
Bueller,

I have an old phone, tell me more....

Bueller999
April 25th, 2013, 08:35 PM
Bueller,

I have an old phone, tell me more....
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.krtk.laps_free