PDA

View Full Version : Steering Damper on a Ninja 250

pilotbarr
January 29th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Has anyone rigged up a steering damper on a Ninja 250? Mine could use one. Ebay does show two different ones. Not sure what really works well (if any).

Bueller999
January 29th, 2013, 08:31 PM
If you are having problems with the front of the ninja you likely have another issue with setup or equipment functionality. They are really pretty stable bikes.

kitten
January 29th, 2013, 11:06 PM
I have to agree with Bueller. You really shouldn't need one on the 250 in my experience. What is the bike doing that makes you think you need one?

pilotbarr
January 30th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Falling over :D

Really, it's just that I see that other bikes have them. (sometimes they are required. Not sure about that, not really sure about ANYTHING in this sport). Was wondering if mine should have one. If others find its not necessary, it probably isn't. I asked because I didn't know....

rybo
January 30th, 2013, 10:05 AM
It's for sure not necessary - it's the only category in the MRA that we exempt from the requirement because the bike is really pretty stable.

Tires, tire pressure, rear suspension linkage, body position etc all have HUGE impacts on this bikes handling.

The bike is especially sensitive to front tire and tire pressure changes. If you are having stability issues - I would start there along with investigating front and rear ride height. A steering damper would be a band aid if you're having stability problems with this model

Best of luck

Scott

Bueller999
January 30th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Why does this forum repeat posts???

Throttleroller277
January 30th, 2013, 11:22 AM
It's for sure not necessary - it's the only category in the MRA that we exempt from the requirement because the bike is really pretty stable.

Tires, tire pressure, rear suspension linkage, body position etc all have HUGE impacts on this bikes handling.

The bike is especially sensitive to front tire and tire pressure changes. If you are having stability issues - I would start there along with investigating front and rear ride height. A steering damper would be a band aid if you're having stability problems with this model

Best of luck

Scott

What Scott said, took the words right out of my mouth.

If you "band-aid" the current problem with a damper, there is a good chance another problem will either surface, or be created as a result.

pilotbarr
January 31st, 2013, 09:47 AM
I have Michelin "Power One" A on the front. And a Michelin Power One on the back. They have been on the bike since it was new in 2009 and are hardly worn. They seem to be doing ok, not dried out and have lots of grip and wearing normally. What air pressure would you suggest running?

Also, this bike came with the standard handle bar setup. I take it the Woodcraft lower bars would be a good idea?

Thanks for the info.

JimWilson29
January 31st, 2013, 09:53 AM
4 years is a long time to use the same set of tires. Are you sure the front tire isn't cupped? That would definately cause some stability issues. What condition are the forks in?
Changing the bars isnt going to solve an existing issue with the front end. They will allow you to adjust the position of the bars and also make it easier to be in tuck position.

pilotbarr
January 31st, 2013, 10:26 AM
Yeah, probably should spring for a new set of tires. What would folks suggest?

As for fork (and shock) condition, I dunno. Any suggestions on a mechanic that would?

JimWilson29
January 31st, 2013, 10:40 AM
All four of the major tire brands are good. Refer to the vendor sub-forum for their info - http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewforum.php?f=12

jeff healy
January 31st, 2013, 10:44 AM
I would agree with Jim those tires are getting pretty old. Unfortunately Michelin isn't makeing the 110 front or the 150 rears anymore so they are probably out unless you find some on the internet somewhere. For the time being I would roccomend starting those tires at 30 psi front and 26 psi rear cold. Check your hot temps and shoot for 33 front and 28 rear hot (actually just off the track on a hot lap not just on the warmers)

Peanut_EOD
February 1st, 2013, 05:48 AM
The only race organization that I've heard of that requires the use of a steering damper on a Ninja 250 is WERA.

Fastt Racing
February 1st, 2013, 10:13 PM
Those tires sound almost new to me......... hahaha. JK each tire has it's own life, and sometimes they will go away and start doing weird things, so possible. I agree with Rybo and Brownie on the band aid, great feedback. I would also add that sometimes a bike moving around can be turned into an unstable front end because of tight rider input as well. I Love the feeling of almost no damper personally.