PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Sprockets - chain too?

spideyrdr
January 1st, 2013, 01:32 PM
Hi all,

I am currently running a DID ERV3 chain on my '03 R6. I will be running new front and rear sprockets this coming season.

I suspect it's good to replace the chain too, especially since I have no clue how many miles are on it (it was on the bike when I bought it in 2010) - but since the ERV3's aren't cheap, I want to be sure it's a wise move. I would like input on what most of you are doing for chains. Replacing every X seasons, replacing whenever you replace the sprockets, replacing when it has stretched Y% over normal, replacing when it is more rust than gold, replacing once the pins start to fall out on their own, etc.

I'd appreciate any input!
Thanks,
Jamie

The GECCO
January 1st, 2013, 02:51 PM
Replace the chain and sprockets as a set at the beginning of every year, minimum, and with the highest strength possible. Racing places a LOT more demand on a chain than normal riding.

Yes, they're pricey, but the damage that can result when a chain lets go is immense. I've punched holes in the cases of two different engines, and the second time it also destroyed about $400 worth of can/pipe on a Ti undertail exhaust system, and smacked the hell out of my heel.

Replace it, it's cheap insurance

spideyrdr
January 1st, 2013, 06:50 PM
Thanks Glen!