PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Board Candidate Bio Thread

JimWilson29
October 11th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Same as year's past - a consolidated place for candidates to post their bios for everyone to read.

If you already have a bio in your own thread somewhere, please copy and paste it here so they can all be in one place.

Thanks

peteyt328
October 11th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Pete Tabor - Rider Rep Trophies

Why hello there fellow racers and MRA members, I’m back!

For those of you that don’t know my story I’ll give you a quick overview. I started racing with the club in 2009. Over the past 4 years I have learned a lot about racing and met a ton of new people who share the same passion as me, several of which have become my closest friends. If you have ever been around me at the track you know that I am all about having a good time. I love to push myself and I am very competitive, but to me racing is more about surrounding myself with great people while doing something I love. I also enjoy helping others at the track, whether it is showing someone improved lines, helping someone with their bike, or just lending a part or tool. This year I was an instructor for the race school at the beginning of the season, as well as several Superstreet classes, which was a blast!

Now to the subject at hand! This is my second time running for a rider rep position and I am honored just to be a contender. Just to be clear, I don’t feel like any one of the board members is doing a subpar performance. Over the past couple years I have had a chance to ride with some other clubs and I have realized how well run the MRA actually is. The primary reason I am running is just because I would like to learn more about what goes on behind the scenes and do my best to contribute to the club. I think Aaron did a great job this year and the new trophies were awesome! If elected, I will do my best to pick up right where he left off. I will also push myself to come up with new ideas to keep existing class sponsors as well as bring in new ones. As I mentioned earlier, I take pleasure in helping out other riders and I believe a rider rep position would put me in a better spot to do this for both new and current racers. In addition, I think it’s beneficial for the club to continue shuffling up the board members to get new thoughts and ideas passed around. Past that, all I can tell you is that I would always be up for new ideas and suggestions from anyone and everyone. You have my word that I will put in my best efforts to do what’s best for the club and each of us who are a part of it.

Thanks,
Pete

rybo
October 11th, 2012, 11:08 PM
My name is Scott Rybarik, and I approve this message.

Position: Rider Representative - Press and Contingency

I sincerely appreciate the opportunity to run again for a position on the MRA Board of Diretors. The past few years have been a time of amazing change for the MRA, and I'm proud of the work we've done to remain a viable, enthusiastic and innovative motorcycle roadracing club. During the time I've served on the MRA board several large clubs elsewhere in the country have ceased operations while we have managed to develop and maintain innovative programs to keep our club alive and well.

There is still work to be done, and while the majority of the cost savings has been achieved, we face the new challenge of increasing our efficiency and strengthening our membership. In 2012 we decided to take on some of our infrastructure challenges and the 2013 membership is going to see the benefit of those changes. A new MRA database along with massively improved membership and registration systems is on the horizon and I'm excited to have a major roll in making that system a reality.

As hard as I try sometimes, I simply cannot damp my enthusiasm for this sport and the people I get to associate with in our club. Teaching new riders and bringing them into our community, supporting veteran riders with a helping hand and announcing on race weekends all provide rewards that I simply cannot acquire elsewhere. I was humbled in 2011, less than one week after my trailer with my entire race effort (except my motorcycle) was stolen, that this club came together to supply the things I needed to go racing that weekend until I could acquire new equipment. This community is one of the finest that I have ever been a part of and I want to keep working to maintain it.

I cannot say enough good things about Samantha Coleman and Kevin Finnegan. They are outstanding people, and very strong contenders in this election. The membership of the MRA has a difficult choice to make, but also sits in the remarkable position of not being able to make the wrong decision.

In about a month you're going to have a lot of voting to do. Don't forget to cast your MRA ballot after carefully considering the course of the club in the past several years and the direction you wish to see it take in the future. I firmly believe that we are on the right path. Sure, course corrections are going to be necessary, but at this point I believe that the needed corrections should be small, and very carefully considered. A vote for me is a vote to continue on this path and a vote for this enthusiasm and love of sport to remain a presence on the board of directors.

Thank you

Scott

Slo
October 12th, 2012, 02:17 AM
Apologies, possible huge life changes coming up. At this point in time, I can no longer ensure I would be able to commit myself full time to the MRA for the next year.

JimWilson29
October 12th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Thank you for considering me for the position of Vice President of the MRA.

I have been a member of the MRA since 2003. Having the opportunity to race motorcycles has been the biggest thrill of my life. My fellow racers have become my greatest friends and the MRA has always felt like a big fraternity. I am proud to be a part of it.

I have been privileged to serve this club in many capacities over the years. I have been an instructor for the MRA New Rider School and served on the air fence crew from 2007-09. From 2009-10, I was elected to the MRA Board as Rider Representative handling Public Relations and Events. In these two years I was able to build an MRA presence in the local dealers and riding community by creating and distributing various media such as posters and flyers, and attending local riding events and open houses.

In 2011, I was elected Vice President for the 2012 season. The major responsibilities of this position were membership and contingency. Both of these were new challenges for me which I was able to meet and exceed to the club’s expectations. The experience I have gained from this has been invaluable and has provided me greater enthusiasm towards serving a larger role on your club’s board.

If re-elected Vice President, I will continue to commit myself to maintaining a high level of service to the membership and board of this club by ensuring that my responsibilities and job duties are performed accurately and in a timely manner. I plan to help make the transition to the MRA’s new Race Management System as seamless as possible and I am already in the process of securing new contingency sponsors for the club. At times during the 2012 season, I may not have fulfilled all of my duties in the office during race weekends. If given the opportunity the next two seasons, I plan on working harder and committing myself more in order to fulfill the needs of the membership of the MRA.

I believe the club has made great strides in recent years due to the unrelenting commitment from your board of directors. It is my goal to continue working towards making the MRA a great club to race with. It will be my honor to be your Vice President for the 2013-14 seasons.

Thank you,
Jim Wilson

sheispoison
October 12th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Carl Sorensen
VP of Rules and Tech

Well, for those of you that don't know, I'm the big happy face that you had to have look over your bike every round this year. It was my pleasure to do the VP of Rules and Tech job this year, I really enjoyed it.

A little back ground on me: I moved to Colorado in fall of 2007 from Virginia where I had done track days for a few years. During the winter of 2008 I decided I'd give racing a shot and got my license after taking the MRA race school. I raced a full year as a novice in 2008 and had the time of my life. I was impressed by how helpful everyone was and how tight of a family the MRA seemed to be. I've raced full seasons for the last 5 years and have got to know the club pretty well. And served on the board as the VP of Rules and Tech for the 2012 season.

My main commitment if elected is to work hard to serve the club and make it as safe and as fair as I possibly can. I feel that with my mechanical background and experience in the pits I can well accomplish the job at hand. I would like to continue doing Friday night tech and whatever else I can to make the race weekend smooth for the racers as well as the rest of the hard working board members.

It's been great working on the board this year and seeing the club grow and continue to move forward and I look forward to being a part of it again next season.

Thank you,
carl

Throttleroller277
October 13th, 2012, 01:17 PM
MRA – New Rider Director

Jeff Brown

First I would like to thank you for once again nominated me to be the MRA’s New Rider Director for yet another term.

For those that do not know that much about my history, here is a little bit about my racing background. Having ridden dirt bikes as a kid, I was first introduced to racing as a young teenager, racing “Speedway” motorcycle motorcycles (if you are unfamiliar with Speedway racing, I encourage you to look it up!). I purchased my first Sport bike in my late teens, and rode around on the streets, and in the canyons with buddies, much like most people in this sport. Eventually the “Speedway” scene in Colorado pretty much died off, and went away. And after a few years of not racing anything, I decided to try my hand at the top motorcycle racing sport in the world, Roadracing….. That was a little over 10 years ago, and within a few years I found myself winning expert races, championships, and sitting on the AMA grid. And now here I am, locked into the sport, forever wishing that I had gotten into it sooner that I actually did.

Prior to being on the Board I was helping out as an instructor at the MRA New Racer Schools starting in 2005, and having served on the Board of Directors as a Rider Representative from 2008-2010, and now as New Rider Director from 2011 to current, I still find a great deal of satisfaction in helping out the club, the sport, the riders, and their families alike; whether it be on the track, or off the track.

I feel that we have made great progress with the Superstreet program since its inception in 2010, and will continue to grow and improve the program in the future to come.

But to me, it is not all about just the New Racer Schools, and Superstreet, nor just helping the “New Riders”. I feel it is my duty to help not just the new racers, and “up and comers”, but all of the members of the MRA, on or off the track. Not only to make them better racers, and improve their “Race Craft” techniques, but to help keep them in the sport of Roadracing as well. Not just for 1-3 years, but hopefully 10-15 years!

If elected as the New Rider Director for 2013, I will continue to give my 100% dedication to the club and my position, to the best of my abilities, and beyond.

Thanks again for the opportunity to help put a smile on you and families faces, which in turn, puts a smile on mine!

Jeff Brown – AKA – “Brownie”

“what can Brown do for you?”

BobT0420
October 13th, 2012, 04:32 PM
My name is Bob Tabor and I’m running for Vice President.

Most of you probably know my son, Peter, who has been racing with the MRA since 2009.

Although I have been riding motorcycles nearly all of my life, in 2009 when Pete told me of his intentions to buy a “race bike”, my initial reaction was to wonder how I could talk him out of it. I quickly realized that wasn’t going to happen and so I decided I should go with him and provide moral support. Well, after his first season, I went out and bought a sport bike of my own so I could join him in the fun! I attended the MRA Race School in 2010 but after a number of track days I decided that it was a little late in life for me to take up serious racing. However, I still love to ride at lapping days, and I love being at the track participating in club activities and watching Pete and his friends race.

Pete and I knew from the beginning what an awesome organization the MRA is, and in particular we were so impressed with everyone’s willingness to reach out to the new guys and share their knowledge and experience. We have been looking for a way to show our support for the club ever since. I have the greatest respect for the entire board and what they do. However, there are only a few board positions in the club that do not require one to be an active rider. Of those, VP is the one I feel best fits my background and experience.

I am currently retired after 34 years in the Data Communications industry. During my career I held a number of diverse positions, from Technical Project Manager to European Service Manager to Director of Service Implementation. Consequently, I have lots of experience in all aspects of managing organizations.

Being retired, if I am elected VP I will have plenty of time to fulfill the responsibilities of this position while applying my life experiences to helping the club continue its success.

Thanks for your consideration!

Kingpin
October 14th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Aaron Fisk—Rider Rep Trophies

Thank you for nominating me to the position of Rider Rep Trophies for another term. It continues to be an honor to give back to the club in an official capacity, even thru this challenging year breaking my leg in round one. You can’t control everything in racing. Even with that setback, my commitment to the MRA and Rider rep position was demonstrated at every round thru the year. For those who don’t know me, I’d like to share my history with the MRA.

After years of street riding that progressed into track days I stepped up to racing with MRA in 2009. After working off my novice hours at the 2008 banquet I continued my support in working many MRA display booths thru the year. I began my 2010 season as an Expert and continued to work events throughout the 2010 season--including hauling bikes and the MRA display booth around, setting them up and tearing them down at the end of the day. By the end of that season I decided to step up my MRA workload and run for a rider rep position. I was appointed to the position of rider rep trophies for the 2011 season and have served in that capacity for the past 2 years.

From my experience the position of rider rep trophies has the following customers, MRA Racers, MRA Class Sponsors, Board of directors, and the New Rider Director. I believe that I have positively contributed in all of these areas and will continue to if elected.

MRA Racers- I have learned that change is well received for trophies. Going forward I will continue this trend, working with the Board for a cost effective solution that still allows us to have a year-end Awards Ceremony that everyone enjoys. I believe the racers enjoyed the 2011- “Cups” and 2012 “Variety” as well as the AMA style Top 10 number plates for ROR.

MRA Class Sponsors- As the economy has tightened MRA sponsors need to see value for their contributions. In conjunction with the Board we came up with enhanced value for our sponsors over the last couple of years and plan to continue this trend. Specifically I helped in establishing a formal “Sponsorship Agreement” to outline the benefits of MRA sponsorship. I created a “Race Day Announcing Book”, to provide sponsor directed marketing materials to our announcing team each weekend. And finally established the Awards Ceremony slide show to offer both advertising, logo recognition and a chance for sponsors to speak to the club when handing out the trophies.

MRA Board of directors- Any rider rep position is both an individual and team effort. I don’t attempt to toot my own horn too much, except during these Bio reviews where it is required. I like to use the term “we” whenever I can. Any ideas that I come up with we review as a board to determine if it’s best for the club. For example yearly Trophy selection, Sponsorship value and staying within the approved Trophy budget. I am a huge team player and believe that is what is required to keep the MRA running the best it can going forward. Where necessary I try to bring in my 15+ years of Program and Business management skills to the board. So we can provide the best service we can for the club.

New Rider Director- Last but not least is the support we rider reps give to the New Rider Director. During my last 4 years of racing locally with the MRA and other clubs out of state, my experience of 100+ races, attendance at Star and various racing schools, and instructing over the past 2 years, I have demonstrated the skills necessary to be qualified as a rider rep. Although this last year was a tough with injury, my commitment has never slowed to help Jeff, novice racers, and our Super-Street program in any way I can.

Serving the MRA as Rider Rep Trophies for the past 2 years has been great! And with your vote, I look forward to providing a high level of service for the next term to both our Racers and MRA Sponsors. This position does take a LARGE amount of time and dedication to function effectively. I believe I have demonstrated those qualities and will continue to do so going forward.

In closing I’ve really enjoyed working for you and I hope you’ll re-elect me for Rider Rep Trophies.

Thanks much,
Aaron Fisk #125

Louden
October 14th, 2012, 03:49 PM
2012 was an amazing season, and I would like to say thank you to everyone who supported me in 2012 as the Marketing and Public Relations Representative for the MRA, and nominated me again for 2013. It was a real pleasure to give back to the MRA, and help grow Super Steet, the very program I started my racing career in almost three years ago.

In 2011 prior to being elected as a Rider Rep for the MRA I had some lofty goals. One of which was to implement a new means of advertising. With the help and support of the MRA board members I was able to accomplish this goal with the deployment of the MRA E-Display. After initial testing this year the device has shown us its ability, and I believe with further developement we will have a very viable advertising campain capable of working for the MRA 8 hours a day, 260 days a year at locations across the state. Though I was only able to attain one of my lofty goals I still fulfilled other means of marketing. For example Aaron Fisk and I were able to deliever MRA promotional media to 47 locations capable of reaching our target Market. Throughout the 2012 season with the help of MRA volunteers I was able to attend 21 events where we were able to market the MRA to other motorcycle enthusiast. Also in 2012 the MRA had a very successful season regarding super street and new rider turnout. Jeff Brown and I made an effort to determine how these riders learned about the program and or the MRA by collecting some data. Beyond my positions requirements off the race track I put forth as much effort as possible at the track to work with new riders, and support the MRA team, because without one another be it board members, racers, and corner crew there would be no MRA.

If elected in 2013 I will continue to expand upon advertising that is working for the MRA and attaining means to make this marketing pay for itself with cross promotional advertising. Also In 2013 I would like to collect more data, and then take that data to once again come up with a new means for the MRA to promote itself affordably.

Thank you again for your consideration

Louden David #189

Blondieonabike
October 14th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Rachael Zell-Treasurer

Hi All,

I would like to begin by expressing my gratitude to the MRA for giving me the opportunity to become involved in such a wonderful organization. It means the world to me that I possess skills that can help such a great group of riders and promote the love of racing.

I have been a huge fan of racing on a national and international level, but was unaware that there was local racing here in Colorado. I was introduced to the MRA at the beginning of the 2011 season. I was merely a spectator and an occasional pit “person” (wouldn’t call myself a crew by any stretch) until the unsuspecting day in Pueblo when one Mr. Tony Baker plucked me out of the pits and my announcing debut was made. I loved every minute in the announcer’s booth and still enjoy it to this day. Recently, I came to the realization that I could give more to the MRA than just my commentary and decided that while I was unable to begin my own race program due to financial limitations, I could give the MRA my professional experience.

I was hired into a local bank in December of 2007, after fulfilling my stint in the world of corporate restaurant management. I carried with me the knowledge of the difference between standard service and exemplary service, as well as the qualities of a mentor and a manager. Banking provided a new challenge to me. I began working with large sums of cash and reconciling monetary inconsistencies. As I gained experience I helped my clients more with their own personal accounting as well as researching in- depth issues directly concerning profit and loss within business portfolios. Although I do not boast a degree, the past 5 years has given me a great deal of diverse experience.

If elected as Treasurer, I will do my very best to ensure the financial safety and stability of this club. I will be diligent in recommending sound financial suggestions to the board while working cohesively with all members to benefit this wonderful club.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

KFinn
October 14th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Rider Representative - Press and Contingency – Kevin Finnegan (Aka Ginger, Finne-Ginger)

I have been riding motorcycles since 2004 when it became financially possible. From that point on my new love grew deep within me from street riding, canyons, and cross country trips. In 2008 I became a certified MSF instructor and started teaching for ABATE of Colorado and Iron Buffalo Enterprises. I became a member of ABATE and started going to their meetings and events and helping out where I could. Some of which was posting event flyers for them on various online forums, managing their Facebook page and their online forums. I served on many committees and volunteered at various district and state events. I also became one of their sponsored racers and started writing articles for their monthly member newspaper about my racing experience with the MRA. I was introduced to the MRF (Motorcycle Riders Foundation) while working with ABATE. Since then I have attended one regional and two national conferences with ABATE, learning and helping fight for motorcyclist’s freedoms. One of the requirements I was tasked with as part of the Young Activist Scholarship I was awarded by the MRF was to write an article for them about my experience at their National Conference.

I joined the MRA in 2010, 3 years later than I wanted but the earliest I could afford to. In 2011, I participated with numerous PR events and general meetings. This was also the year I also was fortunate enough to be able to start teaching Superstreet riders at some of the rounds. This past year I continued teaching for the Superstreet program and Jeff. It has been the time of my life being a part of the MRA family, which is why in 3 years, I haven’t missed a single race round and limited how many general meetings I couldn’t attend.

Professionally I have been employed at the same company for 10+ years. All of my time there has been technology related and for the greater part I have held a position as a program manager in the engineering department.

I have many hopes and plans to help promote the MRA and improve awareness as the press & contingency rider rep outlined below.
• Continue providing press releases for any MRA event or activity year round to: Roadracing World, ABATE of Colorado, and Scooter News
• Release announcements anytime the MRA has notable news
• Expand press to more local media companies & organizations hopefully including radio and TV!
• Work closely with the PR rider rep and the board of directors to coordinate press releases with events or news related to their respective positions
• Create and maintain an online archive of all press releases. This will have to be presented to the board and the website administration for approval.
• Create a professional press kit for the MRA to distribute to all news media associates.
• Create a generic email address and possibly other contact information for the press and contingency rider rep position that can be transitioned. This allows news media personnel to keep our information current, regardless of who is in the position at the time they may try to contact the MRA. There are other benefits from this as well.
• Create a bio for all the news media outlets we start working with. This allows us to slightly cater our communications to the news media’s “voice” (i.e.: tense, verb selection, detail etc.). The benefit this provides is a greater chance of our press being released due to less work required by the editor to publish it.

If I accomplish all of my goals listed above and have more time available, I would like to create an MRA newsletter program. It would start out being online only format for the foreseeable future, mainly due to cost. I envision this covering recent MRA news and upcoming events but also including mini bio’s on fellow racers, corner workers, sponsors and quite possibly coordinate with the trophies rider rep to include ad space for sponsors. I understand that this is a pretty hefty goal, but it is good to set goals to work towards. We cannot achieve goals we don’t set!

Be assured that I unequivocally love motorcycling from all aspects and devote much of my time and passion into it. Therefore, if elected I promise to give this same kind of devotion and passion back to the MRA members and the club.

Thank you for the consideration and nomination for Rider Representative of Press & Contingency,
Kevin Finnegan