PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Honing

Gone_Skiing
September 9th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Anyone know a machine shop near Boulder that can hone a cylinder? Got an XR100 cylinder that needs a little help. I'm trying to get Erika's XR100 back up running for PPIR...

-Nick

rforsythe
September 11th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Not really Boulder, but I know Bart @ Faster has the honing tool. Should be a quick job.

Jon
September 11th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Ron Hough@HO Motorsports 303-447-8845 He knows a hone well

Gone_Skiing
September 11th, 2012, 03:38 PM
I spoke with Ron today. The XR cylinder has a really thin sleeve and he's worried that it won't bore out correctly. I'm looking into other options.

Thanks for the recommendations!

-Nick

Fastt Racing
September 11th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Sleeve thickness is a valid concern for boring. This is a complex issue based on the current condition of the sleeve. You may be able to hone if you just need a new cross hatch for ring seating, but the bore has to be very concentric, and have a pretty blemmish free surface. Also you need to know if it has a nikasil plating although unlikely for that bike. If you have to take more than .001" or .002" off the cylinder you will end up with too much piston clearance. You may be able to replace the sleeve of course as another option. Good luck with the rebuild.

Bartman
September 12th, 2012, 09:30 AM
get a kitaco hi comp pison and cyl kit and wake it up some, did a 150 big bore for Ed and made damn near 18 hp that is a fun XR

Gone_Skiing
September 12th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Sleeve thickness is a valid concern for boring. This is a complex issue based on the current condition of the sleeve. You may be able to hone if you just need a new cross hatch for ring seating, but the bore has to be very concentric, and have a pretty blemmish free surface. Also you need to know if it has a nikasil plating although unlikely for that bike. If you have to take more than .001" or .002" off the cylinder you will end up with too much piston clearance. You may be able to replace the sleeve of course as another option. Good luck with the rebuild.

Unfortunately the cylinder isn't round anymore. That's what caused the concern when trying to bore it out.

-Nick

Gone_Skiing
September 12th, 2012, 12:47 PM
get a kitaco hi comp pison and cyl kit and wake it up some, did a 150 big bore for Ed and made damn near 18 hp that is a fun XR

I found a good deal on a 120 Big Bore kit for it. Just waiting for it to show up and then get it put back together and broken in.

Good thing I've got lots of time before the weekend! :shock:

-Nick