PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Wiring!

303 cycle
September 5th, 2012, 01:38 PM
So I got a trailer and for the life of me I can't get any of the lights to work. So I'm willing to pay someone to troubleshoot the problem for me. Just let me know what you charge an hour. I'm located in Englewood and flexible on time. :wink:

asp125
September 5th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Usually it's corrosion and bad grounds that give you fits. Clean the connector plug and wire brush any ground connections.

Get yourself a test light / continuity meter and start poking at the lamp receptacles.

Failing that, sometimes you can get ready made harnesses and just rip out the old and put in the new.

303 cycle
September 5th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Thats the thing ITS ALL BRAND NEW! NEW car, new trailer, new lights, motherfuckin new wood, new front wheel clamp.

That and I'm to lazy now to figure it out :wink:

MadVlad
September 5th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Warranty?

303 cycle
September 5th, 2012, 05:55 PM
No warranty at Harbor Freight son!

spideyrdr
September 5th, 2012, 08:08 PM
My Harbor Freight trailer gave me a rough time too. It's almost certainly the ground. If it's one of their folding ones try to improve the ground at the rear lights by filing or sanding around the holes that the light brackets bolt onto. I'd offer to help but I have promised to cut down on my swearing, and trailer wiring is sure to foil that plan.

MadVlad
September 5th, 2012, 08:13 PM
And being new? That ain't right... let me talk to some of the techs at work see if they're willing to take a look at it asap since I know you'll need it for PPIR. I'd give you a hand for free with it but well being an apprentice and electrical not being my forte doesn't help lol

AdamandNoahsdad
September 5th, 2012, 09:55 PM
If none of the lights work at all its probably a ground. Check the trailer by plugging it into a known good tow vehicle or check the car by plugging in a known good trailer. That will cut the possibilities in half, because it could be either the car or the trailer if everything is new. Then check every light ( ie turn, park and stop). Post up the results and ill see if I can walk you through getting it fixed.

Unless you want to drag it to my place in thorton. I don't mind helping ,but I'm way to lazy to drive to your place with tools.

Wayniac
September 5th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Does it have bulbs?

KFinn
September 6th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Does it have bulbs?This is the kind of helpful advice I'd usually expect from mister baker! LOL

303 cycle
September 6th, 2012, 01:35 PM
My Harbor Freight trailer gave me a rough time too. It's almost certainly the ground. If it's one of their folding ones try to improve the ground at the rear lights by filing or sanding around the holes that the light brackets bolt onto. I'd offer to help but I have promised to cut down on my swearing, and trailer wiring is sure to foil that plan.

I'll have to give that a try, I ground the paint off the tongue and the two sidelights, I'll give the back a try as well. I'm pretty sure its a ground issue but can't seem to track it down

Bulbs are installed :lol:

Chadwick929
September 6th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Bulbs are installed :lol:
David, did you fill the bulb fluid though? ;)

303 cycle
September 6th, 2012, 04:29 PM
^^Fuck no, where is the wheel fluid suppose to go then? :wink:

MadVlad
September 6th, 2012, 05:50 PM
In the exhaust bearings brah 8)

Wayniac
September 6th, 2012, 11:25 PM
Does it have bulbs?This is the kind of helpful advice I'd usually expect from mister baker! LOL

It was too easy, I had to do it! \:D/