PDA

View Full Version : NovU scoring from Round 6

spideyrdr
August 29th, 2012, 01:21 PM
First, I want to acknowledge that it couldn't have been easy to try to keep track of what went on in NovU this past weekend. It was beyond a mess. So thank you to all who helped us (eventually) get through the race. Second, I may not be understanding the scoring per the rulebook, so I apologize if this is something that I should be able to figure out on my own.

With points now up on the website, I am trying to figure out how it was scored from 14th on down. The final 4 lap race results as posted in the office had 13 of us listed as completing the race, and those results look ok. After that, the results that are posted today get a little murky. I'll try to explain how I thought things happened as accurately as I can and by no means am trying to cause anyone any grief.

We had 2 riders go down in the opening lap of the first race attempt resulting in a red flag. Those were rider number 252 and 281. So we never completed a lap in that attempt.

In the next attempt, we had a rider do down during the warm up lap, I think that was rider 149. We waited on the grid, took another warm up lap, then the race started. In that first lap, we had a rider go down in the chicane, I think that was rider 433. Some time after that, rider 516 went down up near 11, which brought out the red flag. I saw that red flag coming into 4s and it soon became the medic flag. So the riders had crossed the finish line for the first time under race conditions, everyone except 252, 281, 149, 433, and 516. It was at this point that the race was moved to the afternoon as a 4 lap race.

As I mentioned, for the afternoon race, there were only 13 of us that completed the race and the results posted in the race office afterwards reflected that (I have a picture of the final results showing 13 riders).

Looking at the results online, finish spots 14-17 were awarded to 433, 252, 281, and 149 in that order despite these riders all crashing out in attempt 1 or 2. Behind them were all the riders who apparently didn't crash in attempt 1 or 2 but didn't make it out for the 3rd and final attempt. Finally, and overall the one thing that I definitely can't explain, 516, who crashed after 252, 282, 149, and I believe also after 433, was given a DNF.

Again, I am not trying to be inflammatory toward any rider nor toward the timing and scoring folks. That's a damn tough job any time, but factor in numerous restarts, and I can't even imagine trying to weed through that mess. I would like to understand if these results are correct, though. The official race-day results had 13 of us on there, so it would have been impossible to bring this up at that time since this all involves finishers 14th and worse.

If the riders who crashed in attempt 1 or 2 are entitled to points, why is 516 the only one that was awarded a DNF? He made it further than at least 3 or possibly 4 of the other crashers.

If the points after 13th are awarded based on how far a rider 'made it' in attempts 1 and 2, shouldn't 14th start at the ones who didn't crash in attempt 1 or 2, then go in order from there? So 516, 433, 149, 252, then 281 at the bottom of the overall results and 14th going to 625? Or should all the riders who didn't grid for the 3rd and final 4 lap race be awarded a DNF? None of the racers currently listed as 14th or worse have any lap times posted so it's impossible to tell where that finish order came from.

For round 7 I am voting we just have good, clean racing with NO red flags to avoid this in the first place. In the meantime, if anyone can help me understand how round 6 scoring was done, it would help me out a ton.

Thanks!
Jamie

Snowman
August 29th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Been looking at this as well. This is what I think happened.

This is the posted results to the website on 2012-08-29
Place MRA # MRA Racer
1 505 David Absolon – Ran 3rd Start
2 469 Matt Diehl – Ran 3rd Start
3 215 Wayne Carmichael – Ran 3rd Start
4 880 James Reinig – Ran 3rd Start
5 308 Alex Greenman – Ran 3rd Start
6 158 Kurt Fritz – Ran 3rd Start
7 829 Dylan Hale – Ran 3rd Start
8 123 Travis Froehlich – Ran 3rd Start
9 848 Michael Beattie – Ran 3rd Start
10 723 Samantha Coleman – Ran 3rd Start
11 157 Joseph Maher – Ran 3rd Start
12 113 Tim Meiners – Ran 3rd Start
13 941 Jeff Donelson – Ran 3rd Start
14 433 Kenneth Yee - Down 2nd start 1st lap turn 13
15 252 Rene Guzman - Down 1st start, 1st lap beyond turn 4
16 281 Bryant Smith – Down 1st start. 1st lap turn 4
17 149 Arthur Chen – Down Warm-up lap 2nd start
18 625 Tom Erickson
19 186 Trina Dawson - DNS 3rd start
20 770 Richard Liedtke
21 101 Michael Barnett
22 196 Scott Dawson
dnf 516 Michael Spero - Down 2nd start 1st lap turn 11
dnf 364 Matthew Davis
dnf 417 Gary Cunning

The blank spaces I'm unsure of what happened to that rider. Can anyone fill these spots in?

My best guess on what happened is that because scoring was stopped, several races happened, then the scoring was started completely over, anyone who didn't start the 3rd time wasn't scored and was placed in order of their original grid position. The reason only 13 racers were posted in the race day office is that was the number that started the 3rd time.

From what I know of the software, I don't think they could have done it any other way.