PDA

View Full Version : Racer in Hospital

Resident Chaplain
August 29th, 2012, 06:00 AM
Good Morning;
I am making a plea for fellow racers to kindly remember our racer who went down Sunday afternoon at HPR. His name is Michael Barnett, [MRA # 101] he suffered a triple break in his femur, he was transported to; The Medical Center of Aurora, 1501 South Potomac St. Aurora, CO 80012, room 409
I'm sure He would appreciate some cards, visits, & maybe a phone call at 303-873-4759. Since he and Nancy are from Cheyenne, WY, he has no contact here in the metro area. She returned home to her work, Sunday afternoon. I believe that we as a FAMILY should remember & support those who have sustained injuries, regardless of their racing class. I know you all supported me four years ago and it meant the world to me. I'm sure not much news has hit the forum about him, so here's your chance. It may be a while for him to become reasonably ambulatory again.
Ye ole' Chaplain
Chaplain "Boots"

Bhoppy
August 29th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Thanks Boots,
Considering the circumstances, Michael was in good spirits as we were working on him at the track... probably the funniest patient I have ever had, He was in a lot of pain but handled it with humor and made our job very easy. I will definitely give him a call today to wish him well.

Everyone in this club is great and we are genuinely out there for all of you, I would be out there even if I wasn't paid... I would give anything for a friend and I consider all of you my friends. Thank you all for a great season and can't wait for the final 2012 race @ PPIR. See you there!

Brian

Scored51
August 29th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I second Michael's good spirit's. He actually called last night to find out what his lap times were before hitting the ground! He also wanted to know about what everyone else's times were and averages in the class. He is definitely a racer.

KFinn
August 29th, 2012, 09:36 AM
Does anyone know the cause of the crash yet?

I will call him later when I am not in a meeting. He is a good guy. I met him Fri or Sat morning. He was struggling with lines and markers, I offered to go out with him for a few laps to help plus lent him my air compressor to change tire pressure and referred him to Louden for pressure settings on the Stones. I hope he is ok and he heals fast. He definitely seemed to have the racer bug Sat when talking to him.

T Baggins
August 29th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Based on the blackie he left... classic highside.

KFinn
August 29th, 2012, 11:38 AM
I just spoke with Michael. He is welcoming calls via his cell phone 307-287-6331 as he is hoping to get out of there as soon as possible to cut costs.

In his leg / thigh, he has: all titanium plates, coil rod, screws etc, 'the whole 9' as he called it.

He said he is definitely out for the last round but has hopes to try to return to the MRA for a whole season if he can. He will see how he feels this winter if he can start riding street for a bit and maybe try a track day to see how he feels.

He asked about the extent of the damage to the bike and wondering what all he might be having to fix. Also apprehensive about if he will be able to race next season since he is down a helmet and leathers to boot.

I advised him that if he is ready and willing to race next year but is only missing a suit or helmet and needs a loaner that there are several of us that have spares. All he need to do is put it up on the forum or in the race day office for announcement.

He did say that in turn 2 the rear started to slide out and he felt like he could rein it back in. It did start coming in and then it started to spin up more and step back out and then caught. After that he just closed his eyes.

He was happy that he had started getting his lap times down from first practice to the first race. He said he crashed on start of lap 3 and is trying to figure out what his lap 2 time was.

Lastly and I think most importantly. He and his fiance are so appreciative for the support of the MRA family especially for helping have everything of his loaded by the time his fiance got back to the pit. She was impressed. He said he can't tell us how thankful he is for all of us.

He said if he can swing coming down to PPIR to hang out and watch he will but won't know for awhile though.

Ray-Ray
August 29th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Did he tell you that this is NUMBER 82? This would be his 82nd broken bone! One tuff dude!! Hang in there Michael. btw- I got busy and forgot to text you your lap times.... However, they should be online in the next few days.

KFinn
August 29th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Novice GTO -- Michael Barnett, MRA 101

Lap Time
1 1:34.114
2 1:29.135
2 1:29.233

loujr
August 29th, 2012, 05:56 PM
That is a great attitude. Heal up quick! If I can help with a Helmet or something let me know, I wear a medium in scorpion if we wear the same size I can get you one not a problem. Hope to see you racing again soon!

Scored51
August 29th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Novice GTO -- Michael Barnett, MRA 101

Lap Time
2 1:29.135

The sorting is a little wonky as it labeled two laps with the number in the upload. It's actually:

Lap Time
3 1:29.135

racer96
September 2nd, 2012, 07:32 PM
The other day I Went to stop by the hospital to see how he is doing. I am pleased to announce that he is back at his home in Wyoming. I'm sure the road to recovery will be long and painful. Everyone is still free to call Michael to shoot the breeze. I think he is in much better spirits now.
Good luck with your recovery!
Thanks
Zach