PDA

View Full Version : Lost tip of thumb

aspenbum
July 25th, 2012, 11:31 PM
I will not make it this weekend to the superstreet class because i lost the tip of my thumb tonight. Surgery in the am. No broken bones. The discarded looked like a locust shell. 3/4" gone. Should be ready for the next one in August!

I have to say that because of this forum I will be able to make it to surgery and possibly couldn't be at home right now at all. Terry skogen (mra #316) read my introduction post and messages me saying that we live in the same town and if I needed anything to just ask. So we exchanged numbers and i asked him to help me set up my suspension and he said yes and today helped me dial in everything along with his son. What a great guy! So then i chopped off my thumb while cleaning my chain. Idkwtfh. Anyways i get a nice loud ambulance ride to the hospital and left my bike &a truck w/ trailer at the car wash. After calling all of my friends and getting no answer i decided to call Terry. Within 30 min he had already pushed my bike and stand to his house and put it in his garage and drove 15 miles to the hospital to pick me up. He stayed there till i was released, took me to get some food which he bought, took me to check the bike and get his son so we could move my truck home. They even unhooked my trailer and parked it for me. Now tomorrow he is picking me up for surgery and taking me home. I cant even understand why things happen the way they do but im so happy to have been able to meet Tery Skogen today!

http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/photo.php?fbid=10150930279136461&id=522796460&set=a.492633281460.267040.522796460&relevant_count=1&__user=522796460

T Baggins
July 26th, 2012, 09:12 AM
WOW!

Effin crazy really, but things always seem to work out in our world...

Couldn't have met a nicer guy than Terry! We miss seeing him at the races as often as we have in the past - but sure glad he was there to help out a fellow racer in need!

Fingers are over-rated (ask Ray-Ray...) and I'm sure you'll be back in the saddle in no time!

I'm assuming you've already paid for SS this weekend... If you are able to ride SS at round 6 or 7 your credit will be sitting there waiting for ya. If you aren't gonna make it out - just let Lisa Gaimara know and she'll shoot you a refund check.

racer316
July 26th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Hey Ryan. Let's get you out there for SS August 25th !! You ride the bike and I'll spin the wrenches. Heal up fast.

Slo
July 26th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Sucks about the thumb, but good on Terry for helping out and going the extra mile for you.

The MRA is a great network of people of all backgrounds.

d_mob
July 26th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Oh God man! That's horrible...

I haven't cringed like that since 09' when homeboy high-sided in turn 2 @ HPR, landed on the tank and had one of his taters swell up the size of a melon.

Ahhhhhh..! I just made myself cringe again thinking about that one. I'm off to buy steel tip gloves, a shark fin for the chain and a heavy duty jockey for this weekend.

In all seriousness, I am sorry to hear that you hurt yourself. If you need any help during recovery feel free to reach out.

PS... Was the bike running or did you just manually spin up the rear w/ your digits in the wrong place at the wrong time?

aspenbum
July 26th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Well they stitched me back up today. They had to remove the remaining nail bed and the end of my bone in order to cover up the exposed with thumb skin. I still have both knuckles but no more thumbnail. My new thump is about 1" shorter than my left thumb. I tell you even on the pain pills it feels like my thumb is just roasting in a wood stove.

Bike was running in 1st at idle on the stand and my hand was wrapped in a towel underneath it and it got caught up and my thumb went into the rear sprocket. I pulled away and saw my bone where my thumbnail should have been.

Im so pissed at myself for being so careless and stupid. I have been so excited about my dirst trackday and busy readying myself for safety on the track that I just completely lost focus on what i was doing.

Ray-Ray
July 26th, 2012, 09:26 PM
You should ride this weekend!!!

Fastt Racing
July 26th, 2012, 10:34 PM
+ 1. You'll be fine to ride by Saturday! Heal quick dude.

phildrummond
July 27th, 2012, 10:15 AM
I give this story 1 3/4 thumbs up. Heal quick...though, thumb tips aren/t needed for racing, are they? Extra Strength Tylenol and fuel are all you need.

Sprtbkbabe
July 27th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Yikes! Hope you heal up fast!

But, what a story you've got for the rest of your life now, "So, how'd you do that?"

Terry is one nice guy. I'm racing on his CBR and the bike was well taken care of.

Take care of yourself and THUMBS UP for getting back on the bike, soon! :lol:

aspenbum
August 13th, 2012, 04:20 PM
WOW!

Effin crazy really, but things always seem to work out in our world...

Couldn't have met a nicer guy than Terry! We miss seeing him at the races as often as we have in the past - but sure glad he was there to help out a fellow racer in need!

Fingers are over-rated (ask Ray-Ray...) and I'm sure you'll be back in the saddle in no time!

I'm assuming you've already paid for SS this weekend... If you are able to ride SS at round 6 or 7 your credit will be sitting there waiting for ya. If you aren't gonna make it out - just let Lisa Gaimara know and she'll shoot you a refund check.

Not sure if I will make it to round 6 at HPR, the doctor says still two-three weeks until the stitches come out. But mark me down for round 7 at PPIR!

vort3xr6
August 13th, 2012, 04:47 PM
This is the 3rd time I have heard of someone doing this. Don't feel too bad. Heal up and go race.