PDA

View Full Version : Any useful Indy GP tips?

snowblaze506
July 22nd, 2012, 09:36 PM
Heading out to the Indy MotoGP and looking for any helpful info/ lessons from previous trips. Is a GA ticket enough or is a reserved seat neccessary? We usually move around a lot to see the track. How about hotels? Shuttles to the track? Things to see? Things to stay away from? (Jeff, I already stay away from those!!) Thanks Guys.

Casey

rforsythe
July 22nd, 2012, 10:30 PM
We went the first year they were at Indy. Stayed at a Marriott I think, on the other side of the airport. Not a horrible commute, I want to say about ~20-25 minutes to get to the track.

If you have a car, don't worry about a shuttle. The entire community around that place LOVES racing, parking is not difficult and even if the Indy lots are full, a lot of people will sell you spot on their front lawn for a nominal fee. Best thing to do though is get a parking pass with your tickets so you always know you have a spot. Traffic delays were there but not too bad, they route it around pretty efficiently.

We had reserved seating right over the last turn before the front straight. Wound up being a great place to watch, we could see all but a couple turns and they were among the lower cost reserved seating.

We unfortunately missed seeing the 2-strokers go at it that year, that was when the remnants of a hurricane blew through there. It went from sunny to "holy fuck" rain in minutes, and winds up to 60mph took out the Yamaha pavilion, unfortunately onto a number of spectators (injuries only thankfully). It was surreal watching that thing take flight, considering we were walking through it 2 hours before.

MotoMatt
July 23rd, 2012, 07:27 AM
My wife and I are going again this year. Who else from MRA is going? We usually get GA as well. We spend the three days watching from different parts of the track.

+1 to what rforsythe wrote.

There is a camp site across the street from the track. It looks like a total blast. Showers available even. The airport has several hotel options. Some like to stay downtown near Meridian where there are activities at night. Stunt shows and "bikes on Meridian". It is not too far from the track.

They usually have a pit walk Friday or Saturday and racer interviews with spectator Q&A on the central stage. I will have to check the schedule.

Matt

Jon
July 24th, 2012, 09:46 AM
For one of the best steaks and the absolute best shrimp cottail you will ever have and a good chance to hang with Mr Spies St Elmos steak house downtown Indianapolis is the shit. Make reservations early though as it'll be pack Thurs through Sat nights but it's well worth it even if it aint the cheapest. Very historical and renound though.