PDA

View Full Version : New Member Introduction

aspenbum
July 14th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Hey everyone my name is Ryan Smith, and I just signed up for the SuperStreet class on July 28th @ HPR and decided to join the forum to get some more information about it. It looks like its going to be a lot of fun and exactly what I need to improve my riding.
I would love to race but I live in the Aspen/Snowmass area and the local track costs $5000+ per day to rent and its only 1.1 mi with 9 turns and making a 4+ hour trek down to HPR, PMP, & PPIR every weekend just doesn't seem feasible. So I plan on doing as many SuperStreet classes as I can until I either run out of money, destroy my bike, or move to Denver to race more. (Pick two of the three and it cant include a city)
But for real, I'm intimidated by you guys, I mean I think I’m a fast rider but I've never 'dragged knee' before. I would love to get to that point of being comfortable riding my bike at crazy lean angles and trusting my tires to not wash out on me.
I have been on street bikes since I was 15 from Busa's to Daytona's, I’m currently on a K6 GSXR 600. I went to school for Motorsports Engineering and have built drag cars and quads and I do all of my own work on everything. I'm 27 now and I’ve never been on a race track before but I love to race, I love to go fast, and I love to improve.
Like I said, I'm not really sure what to expect from this class except that I know that I will meet a bunch of really nice people who enjoy the same kinds of adrenaline rush as me!! I know there are not many like us here 'where the beer flows like wine and women flock like the salmon of Capistrano.'
So I will be trailering my bike down to the event with all of my gear and will have room for an extra bike if anyone needs a ride or haul down from the mountains, please, just ask!

I know that I have some questions about the class, like should I bring my dog or not, but I will do some more reading (the rule book) and searching before I clog up the boards. Thanks for reading and I hope to meet some of you soon! :twisted:

Throttleroller277
July 14th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Welcome to the MRA Ryan!!! You have come to the right place.

You can bring your dog (mine goes everywhere I go too), although it can get very hot, so be sure to have shade water for your friend. Pets must remain on a leash, and cleaned up after.

Feel free to send me a pm, or email, should you have more questions.

Jeff@12voltracing.com

spideyrdr
July 14th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Welcome aboard Ryan! As you prep to come out to the track, one area that is often overlooked is your face muscles. Most riders find they can't stop smiling after their first SuperStreet,which can lead to cheek cramping and a general Joker-like look that only Heath Ledger can (could) rival. So get on those exercises!

I did SuperStreet 2 years ago and used it as a stepping stone to get into the MRA as a licensed novice rider. It was a blast. When you did come out the to track, if you have any questions, need anything like a tool or a part, need some advice, or just want a hug, feel free to ask another racer. The MRA is a good family and most people would gladly help out.

Getting out my Magic 8 Ball, I foresee you won't feel like the haul down from Aspen will be that bad. Racers trek out to the track at all times, some come on Friday, some come during the wee hours of Saturday or Sunday morning - the draw of the track and smell of race gas supersedes any "clock" or so-called "schedule". I met a guy who comes out from Kansas for several rounds - that's an 8 hour drive each way. All for the pursuit of speed, glory, and camaraderie - a worthy pursuit indeed.

Again, welcome aboard, and feel free to hit me or anyone else up if you have any questions.

Jamie

jeff healy
July 16th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Welcome Ryan! As you have heard, we all came into this thinking ahh well I'll just see how it goes.... and you will find yourself driving quite a bit to make every round real soon :) I Live in Northern MT (800 miles one way) and wouldn't race with any other club over the MRA! They will welcome you in as a family from day one! Speaking of that, since I"m sure you will be staying at the track, stop by and have a beer any of the nights your there! (as long as your OK with PBR) Look forward to seeing you there!!

Fastt Racing
July 17th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Welcome Ryan. We all look foreward to seeing you soon. There are a couple guys from Breckinridge that come to all of the races as well. You can find Dara on here every now and then. Bring some flocks of ladies down with you. They love to hate racer guys :wink: