PDA

View Full Version : Taking it Easy and Having Fun.....

shRED
July 13th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Guys:

Thanks to all of you guys who answer beginner questions on this forum. Been reading for a while, and you guys are really great.

After about 8 track days, seriously considering doing a little racing for fund and feed that competitive drive. Would appreciate any insights you guys would have for me, considering some of the following statements, and my goals listed below:

Background:
I'm 37, have a GF and successful career - and don't want to end up in a wheel chair or dealing with broken bones repeatedly. I have significant riding experience - over 100,000 miles and motorcycles are my passion and my life. My goal is to roll around with some good guys, have some fun passing and being passed, and would be willing to put in substantial practice and prep time to meet this. . I'm thinking endurance races would be fun and great practice - more track time = me as a better rider. I'm very athletic, I snowboard backcountry a lot, golfed in college and skateboard regularly during the summer at the awesome skateparks here in Colorado.

[b]Questions:

1. What racing class has the most relaxed, mildly competitive racers with their heads on their shoulders? I don't want someone wiping me out, just want to ride well with some experienced, good guys. (I do understand racing accidents happen, but want to improve my statistical probability of avoiding the big crash with others).

2. What are the less-expensive racing classes? I realize a lot of people spend 500 - 1,100 per race weekend. Would like to keep this closer to 500, but understand racing costs money.

3. What is the highest safety and best learning way to start in this passion? Do you start out doing production 250, then move up to bigger classes after you learn corner speed and the racing skills? Start SV650 in the lightweights? The biggest I will ever go is 600 class.

4. I'll be 40 in a little over two years. How would that change your view of where to start and how to build up? I'm sure the Formula 40 guys have their shit together.

5. I am open to anything bike-wise. I currently have my bagger, two Buell X-1's and a Honda CR-500. One Buell will get sold to buy the racebike this fall. I ride a street bike or my GF's XR 250 pretty much every day. I'm going track days three times a month, working on my form and lines at IMI.

6. I do 90% of all my bike and truck mechanical work, and have been mounting and balancing my own bike tires for two years now. I think I can do a lot of the bike work that needs to be done.

I've approached everything I've done in my life in a thoughtful, intelligent way and find the more I read and learn about something before I do it, the better I do it. I've read through a lot of the beginner forums on here, but I apologize if I asked questions that were covered already.

I appreciate any input you guys might have - hopefully this will be a helpful thread for us newbs.

Thanks again!

shRED

aka Jason Redman

shRED
July 13th, 2012, 12:20 PM
*fun* not fund

gsnyder828
July 13th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Based on your goals, I'd say you've mostly answered your own question.

Production 250 is a great place to start. If you choose to move up to an SV650 after a year, then picking a 10yr old model will allow you to run MV too (another good "head on their shoulders" class). F40 will be fine too - keeping in mind you won't be competitve as it's open to big bikes too.

Personally, I would not say that endurance is the safest place to plan on riding a LW bike. I ran an SV the past couple seasons, and the diciest (not in a good way) races were the LW/MW Endurance - I'd inevitably catch up to a pack of enthusiastic (but scary) novices on 600s (and a scary expert or two to be fair) who would ride some interesting lines and make some highly questionable moves in their quest to keep a LW bike behind them.

Mforza
July 13th, 2012, 01:44 PM
I would say 250 Ninja class or Colorado class, maybe even Modern vintage classes are reltively laid back :)
Depends on what bike you get.

I personaly love the LW classes :) I have lot mor fun on my "thumper" then I ever had when I was racing 1000 :D

Snowman
July 13th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Let’s see if this helps…

My Background:
I’m 48 (yes that’s years), and have been riding street bikes since I was 18. I have a “real” job and responsibilities. I have been racing motorcycles for 3 years now and before that worked as a corner worker for a season. Before this I raced 125cc TAG Go-karts, and before that I raced Streetluge. (look it up) Made it as far as the 99’ X-Games, where I broke two ribs and never finished… (another story)

In all of this racing I have always been a mid pack racer and there is nothing more boring to me than finding myself all alone on a race track. (4 wide into corner, is what I live for.) I have at times taken a place at the back of a starting grid in order to run with riders I know. I have no idea what my points are or what position I’m in when crossing a finish line, but I’m always one of the most excited riders when I cross it. When someone I call a friend passes me on the track, I’m the loudest person cheering them on. This sport is about the people, pushing limits, competing and the people. You will never find a better bunch of friends with the same addiction anywhere.

So with that said…

1. If you have never raced before in your life, start with Super Street. It’s $100.00 and doesn’t require full race bike setup. They have good race instructors and you can ask any question at anytime. (Because we all have been there)

This is how I started, I ran the first two Super Street races ever and then had my competition license for the 3 race of that year. What I learned gave me the confidence to step up and do this right. Before I have always thought racing motorcycles was just beyond my capabilities but these instructors and the people involved with the MRA all had been there and answered every stupid question I had.

Many think this class is dangerous but it’s record of accidents is not really that much different than any of the other Novice classes. You after all are stepping on to a race track with a high powered piece of machinery that can’t even hold itself up.

After this I raced mostly Middleweight Endurance. It has a larger grid however it’s not as aggressive as a sprint race because you have along way to go and can wait to make moves. I’m typically in the second wave.

2. With the $250.00 race any and every race deal going on, this is most you will spend on entry fees. Other than that, it comes down to gas and tires. Most of us run pump gas and asking around you can find race take off tires typically $40 to $50 a tire. I have a front take off that has lasted 3 rounds now, and rear take offs that will typical last 1 to 2 rounds. But of course like any form of racing, “it’s all a question of money. How fast you wanna go?”

3. See question 1.

4. Age doesn’t matter, I routinely get my ass handed to me by people even older than me. I race Formula40 and at times I’m up against a guy that has raced more laps in the Daytona 200 than anybody on the planet, and a couple girls that outrun almost everyone else on the grid.

So why am I there? Simple, I get to ride with them. They know what they are doing. They have lines and braking points that scare the shit out of me. But when they go by I see what is possible. Even if I can hang on for a couple corners my lap times go down because I ride with them.

5. Go with which ever bike you feel most comfortable with. Your confidence in the hardware under you is the hardest thing you are going to learn. It’s capable of so much more than you can get out of it at this time. So going with what you know is a step up on riding something you don’t.

6. Then you are way ahead of most people that race. I can’t go must past changing the oil or really, really bad things happen.

shRED
July 13th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Geoff - Funny! I am such a nerd. Thanks for the input on Endurance. Very very helpful.

Martin - Thank you! Will take the thumper advice very seriously, because fun is what I'm going for.

Snowman - You rock! Thank you very much for putting this much effort into this answer.

Re-reading my post, I kind of sound like an arrogant dick. That was not intended. Thanks for no flames guys!

Bueller999
July 13th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Starting on a 250 would accomplish the majority of your goals very effectively.
Cheap to race, the guys you race with would differ greatly in skill levels and there is always someone to race with. Most are accomplished riders that have chosen to ride the little turds 'cause they really are that much fun. You can run other classes, most of which are "gentleman's classes" although not be a front runner in them you will still find yourself racing against other 250's and LW bikes that enter. You will learn so much about how to ride a bike since you have no motor to speak of, you need to figure out how to make the bike go fast in corners to make up for it. You will actually catch and pass bigger bikes and then they will pass you back in the long straights and this will repeat over and over. Geoff is correct about Endurance but it is still my favorite class. I am 52 and I rode the 250 last year and move to a SV650 this year, I will be another vote for lightweight bikes as the best value and some of the funnest racing I have been apart of. Frankly Novice on a 600 scared the bejebus out of me and I couldn't wait to get into the twins.
And as my name implies I am also a Buell guy, but I am an XB fan.
Good luck and hope to see you out there.

Mforza
July 13th, 2012, 04:42 PM
"shRED", feel free to see us in the pits and ask anything you want :) I'm sure everyone will be willing to talk with you and help out :)

hope to see you out there and wellcome to the addiction :D

shRED
July 13th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Bueller and Martin - Thanks a bunch. Thinking about taking that advice and running the X-1 in a couple Supersport races this year, apply for novice license and then look for a 250. If we all have to go slower, it makes sense it would be safest to learn on. Plus then I can really focus on the lines, which is my favorite part of track days.

I'll probably skip riding endurance until I have a good feel for the 250. THANK YOU VERY MUCH! You guys are awesome. I'll likely come watch at HPR on the 29th wknd.

shRED
July 13th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Correct answer in Snowman's post - rider with the most miles in the Daytona 200 - is Tony Orlando. You guys knew that, but I did not. Rubbing paint with a local legend. Cool!

Correction below. I was doing work for a client named Tony on Friday and had Tony on the brain. Silly because I see the sign all the time at IMI

rybo
July 13th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Correct answer in Snowman's post - rider with the most miles in the Daytona 200 - is Tony Orlando. You guys knew that, but I did not. Rubbing paint with a local legend. Cool!

Almost - Ricky Orlando is the name you were looking for :)

Welcome! I'm really glad you found us and are considering taking the next step.

SuperStreet is a great program, and one that I get to help teach from time to time. You are well on the right path and asking the right questions.

Keep asking! as you can see, there are lots of folks willing to help.

Scott

shRED
July 23rd, 2012, 02:02 PM
Thanks Scott. Looking forward to meeting you guys in person. Thanks for the help!!

J

Bueller999
July 23rd, 2012, 03:11 PM
Looks like we are hurting for corner workers this weekend so it would be a great time to check out the racing up close and get paid a little bit too.
But if you don't want to work it come watch Sat, and at the end of the day there is a BBQ and a chance to meet a bunch of people.