PDA

View Full Version : Racing Different Configurations at HPR

T Baggins
July 12th, 2012, 08:59 AM
There was a discussion of sorts at the General Meeting last night regarding running different configurations at HPR...

For Bikes, it can be ran three different ways:

Full Course
North Course (cutting out 5,6,7,8 )
West Course (cutting out 9, 9a, 10, 11)

We've ran it two ways so far. Full Course and North Course.

I would like to see us take advantage of the different layouts - I mean if we did that would be like the MRA racing at 5 different tracks (HPR x3, PPIR, PMP) a year!

Please vote in the poll and let your Board know what you'd like to see for the remainder of 2012 and as we set the 2013 schedule.

Thanks!

AdamandNoahsdad
July 12th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Why would we want to shorten the track and ride less for the same amount of $$$? Unless you are talking about having races be more laps so the mileage remains roughly the same.

Mforza
July 12th, 2012, 10:39 AM
I think it will be also interesting to run HPR counterclockwise but that will create issue with safety zones right? :)

Mforza
July 12th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Why would we want to shorten the track and ride less for the same amount of $$$? Unless you are talking about having races be more laps so the mileage remains roughly the same.

We run more laps on shortened track.

KFinn
July 12th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I think it will be also interesting to run HPR counterclockwise but that will create issue with safety zones right? :)Yes! Huge safety issues. there are corner worker stations that would be directly in the impact zone in reverse. HPR was not designed to be run reverse. This was all mentioned somewhere in another thread in the past couple months. HPR will not run in reverse.

Snowman
July 12th, 2012, 12:17 PM
The Full Course is 2.55mi - 7 Laps = 17.85mi
The West Course is 2.00mi - 9 Laps = 18.0mi
The North Course is 1.83mi - 10 Laps = 18.3mi
The Short Course is 1.28mi - 14 Laps = 17.92mi

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/529337_10151247501985278_858909959_n.jpg

http://highplainsraceway.com/images/track-map4.gif

Of course we could always loop it through the pad dock and out onto the highway and make it a TT. But I think the local sheriff is already making too much money off us already...

T Baggins
July 12th, 2012, 01:11 PM
The Short Course is 1.28mi - 14 Laps = 17.92mi

I don't forsee us ever running the short course.

powers
July 12th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Would it be possible to get open lapping days in the different configurations also?

I voted 2 full and 2 alternate, might as well mix it up a little.

T Baggins
July 12th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Would it be possible to get open lapping days in the different configurations also?

I voted 2 full and 2 alternate, might as well mix it up a little.

If HPR knew in advance our intentions for the weekend (or season for that matter) I'm sure they would run the course the way we intended to race it at a minimum on the Friday before, but perhaps for several lapping days before...?

oldtimer
July 12th, 2012, 02:54 PM
My .02...

I enjoyed racing the north course, it did seem more flowing and an interesting change. It seemed like there was enough variation to give riders opportunities in the race.

I've done a track day on the west course and it felt like a horsepower circuit. I did not find it especially interesting, it felt like whoever had the most motor would walk away.

That being said I voted to try both alternative configurations. Then the membership could decide what to use in the future.

JWinter
July 14th, 2012, 07:16 PM
I voted for the 2 alternate and 2 full myself...I think opening up to different configurations will promote a little more excitement. Although with the patch job problem (rough sections of asphalt) in the west loop; it doesn't sound like much fun to run this section. I hope Glen and Mike will get the patch repair re-done before the beginning of next season. Jeff

rybo
July 14th, 2012, 07:54 PM
I voted for the 2 alternate and 2 full myself...I think opening up to different configurations will promote a little more excitement. Although with the patch job problem (rough sections of asphalt) in the west loop; it doesn't sound like much fun to run this section. I hope Glen and Mike will get the patch repair re-done before the beginning of next season. Jeff

Jeff-

Glenn confirmed at the General Meeting last week that the asphalt company that did the "repair" is going to fix it under warranty - sometime in October.

It will be all better for 2013

Scott

NossLou
July 15th, 2012, 01:25 PM
I'll agree 6 and 8 need a bit of work to get them back to where they were but they are 100 times better than they were the first round. I will admit running the the North course was quite fun and a new experience. I'm sure running the other one will be too. However I have a hard time shortening a track when you have the full track available... I feel a lot of good racing happens on the tight corners of HPR and its hard for me to vote to take those out... Either way from the looks of it I think it will happen, but HPR is such an awesome track due to the elevation changes and variation in corners that I wish we didn't have to shorten the track.

Sort of like Miller...Wish they ran the entire thing all the time.

But that is just me :D