PDA

View Full Version : safety wiring drill bits?

Smitty
July 4th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I've been trying to drill and safety wire a 250 I recently picked up. I've tried a couple different types of bits but they all suck. They typically make it through one bolt and its done. Any suggestions on the type of drill bit to use and where to get them?

TRK
July 4th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Hard steel bits from ace.

Wayniac
July 4th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Snap-On thunderbits. I did my entire bike with only 3. Would have been one but I knocked over the drill and snapped 2 in half. They run about 3 dollars a bit.

nobasin
July 4th, 2012, 08:41 AM
the blu-mol bits at home depot are by far the best ones i've found for safety wiring. last hpr race one bit was passed around to 2-3 different people and was still sharp as ever and never broke when using the technique below.

the key is drilling at the slowest speed possible with medium pressure until right before the bit is about to break through the other side of the bolt. if you keep going slow with medium pressure the bit usually binds and snaps as it breaks through. right before the bit is about to break through, try speeding up the drill a bunch and going with super light pressure and it will go through without binding and snapping. i've used a single blu-mol bit on at least 10 bolts using this method. takes some patience to go slow but you'll get through the bolts faster with a super slow drill speed.

NossLou
July 4th, 2012, 08:52 AM
If you can find true titanium bit sets they will last you for the rest of your life...not the fake bs one Home Depot sells but real titanium... My Grandfather gave me his set that will drill through easy outs like butter...let alone bolts.

If you are not braking them google how to resharpen them...takes about 5 seconds on a belt sander....

rybo
July 4th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Using some cutting oil on the bits helps them last longer and work better too

jmaher
July 4th, 2012, 09:30 AM
Are you using a drill or drill press? The press is much better....and I have one.

Joe

Smitty
July 4th, 2012, 11:32 AM
I don't have a press. I'm using a drill and a vise. I just picked up some cobalt bit and I'll see how they do later. I tried using the one's from Home Depot, both the Titanium and a cobalt one. Both failed! I picked up some oil too.

jmaher
July 4th, 2012, 11:34 AM
My press is portable, you are more than welcome to borrow it, or bring the bolts over and I will drink beer and watch you work.

Joe

CaneZach
July 4th, 2012, 12:47 PM
My press is portable, you are more than welcome to borrow it, or bring the bolts over and I will drink beer and watch you work.

Joe

:lol: