PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Springs fire affect round 4?

matt2778
June 26th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Just asking because i can see the fire coming from the mountain down into the city from my apartment. If it comes closer I may not make it this weekend. And I know there are other fires going on

nobasin
June 27th, 2012, 07:52 AM
racing seems sort of insignificant compared to what is happening in the springs right now (not to mention the rest of the state that is on fire), but this is a legit question with ALL of northwest colorado springs evacuated this morning (over 32,000 people), including the air force academy. there could even be an issue of getting down to pueblo via 1-25.

i know if there is risk of your house burning or you are evacuating, this is hardly a priority to post up here, but if anybody who has info can keep this thread active with updates that would be helpful probably.

and if any mra family is displaced by the fire, please know you are welcome to stay at our house in denver as long as needed if you need a roof over your head.

mike-

T Baggins
June 27th, 2012, 08:01 AM
I-25 South has re-opened as of this morning.

Obviously if there are people who are displaced and are unable to attend, the MRA Board will make the necessary arrangements to credit / refund them.

Aside from not being able to get to Pueblo, say due to I-25 being closed, there really is no reason "not" to hold the event.

spideyrdr
June 27th, 2012, 08:20 AM
At the risk of being beaten about the neck and face by my fellow racers, I hope we get rained out due to unexpected torrential downpours throughout the state this weekend.

As that seems unlikely, could we maybe put a collection bucket in the race office this weekend to facilitate donations to the Colorado Chapters of the American Red Cross or some other organization that's helping our neighbors during this crisis?

Cheers,
Jamie

vort3xr6
June 27th, 2012, 06:57 PM
PPIR has cancelled events to offer refuge for people affected by the fire. I hope pueblo is out of the fire danger for you all.

sheispoison
June 27th, 2012, 08:29 PM
PPIR has cancelled events to offer refuge for people affected by the fire. I hope pueblo is out of the fire danger for you all.
Yep, and those events included the Pikes Peak Hill Climb.

dave.gallant
June 27th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Hill Climb is not cancelled; just postponed, yes?

hcr25
June 27th, 2012, 10:47 PM
just postponed, who wants to bet they reschedule it on a MRA weekend?

sheispoison
June 28th, 2012, 08:27 AM
just postponed, who wants to bet they reschedule it on a MRA weekend?
I emailed them right back after I got the postponement email and asked her to take out dates into consideration. So, hopefully they won't reschedule it on one of our race weekends. We'll see.

hcr25
June 28th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Lol, we will see how far that goes.

rforsythe
June 28th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Lol, we will see how far that goes.

About as far as the sponsorship money. Has the MRA paid up? :lol:

asp125
June 28th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Related note, how's the I-25 traffic thru the Springs? Should we allow extra travel time down to Pueblo?

rforsythe
June 28th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Related note, how's the I-25 traffic thru the Springs? Should we allow extra travel time down to Pueblo?

It was screwed up during the evac due to traffic and closures, but it was reopened that night. News has shown it to be pretty much normal since then as the fires are largely back in the hills from whence they came. I would say that unless things blow back up on the east side of the mountain it should be pretty much normal.

One thing to watch for though - seems a lot of people have been pulling over on the side of I-25 to take pictures of the burn area. Look out for that so some junior photojournalist wannabe doesn't run into you.