PDA

View Full Version : Ducati or not?

Smitty
June 20th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Possibly in the near future I'll be trading in my street bike for something new and have been looking at the Ducati 848 as the replacement. I wan't to get the thoughts and opinions of other that are more knowledgeable than I about Ducati's. I know they tend to cost more to maintain but the new service intervals have made it a bit cheaper. I've seen quite a range of prices on the services done on the bike to maintain the warranty. Doesn't anyone know what they cost locally? Also, is there any place that will allow a test ride?

Thanks!

nobasin
June 20th, 2012, 01:53 PM
an mra racer has a fully race prepped 848 for sale on the forums. http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=13893
talk to luke and buy his bike as you'll save a ton of cash and have a race ready bike that needs nothing.

Smitty
June 20th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Sorry, I should have been more specific. This will be a street bike and not a track bike.

KFinn
June 20th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Sam had an 848 street bike. You might ask her thoughts. Or anyone else from the DEMC

JimWilson29
June 20th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Wyeth rode one on the street for awhile, too.

Slo
June 20th, 2012, 03:19 PM
I can also put you in touch with a friend named Diego, but he will have nothing good to say about his experience with the 848.

Munch
June 20th, 2012, 03:40 PM
In the past, Erico had demo bikes, might want to check there.

Also, Ducati hauls the demo-semi around every year, so I'm not sure if they've made it out to Colorado yet. Check in with Fay Myers.

For service, there's none better than Brian up at Boulder Motorsports. Give him a ring for pricing.

Most newer Ducati's are 2 years or 15k miles on belts and valves. Used to be 7500 miles. So it's definitely kinder on the wallet :)

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
June 20th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Here are some forums where you can ask questions or surf for some good info ...

http://www.ducati-superbikes.com/
http://www.ducati.ms/
http://www.ducati.org/forums/

lars
June 20th, 2012, 08:18 PM
I have had my 848 since new in 09.
currently it has 17k miles and the only thing that went wrong is a $175 clutch service that happened because the clutch bolt came loose.
otherwise it has been the most enjoyable bike i have ever owned. The twin motor is torque'y and makes for a very practical street motor i.e. you dont have to rev it up all the time to have fun....
that being said, this could be my last street sport bike. my wife has a monster and honestly it is much more fun on the street.
dont tell the motorcycle industry but sport bikes belong on the track:)
cheers

Smitty
June 21st, 2012, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I'll give Brian @ Boulder motorsports a call about services and I'll do some searching on when the demo truck is coming.

peteremsley
June 21st, 2012, 05:35 PM
i've owned a few sporting street ducs, but not an 848. I think the torque makes them about the best canyon bike you could own, but they all sucked around town (ergos, heat from motor and underseat exhaust, etc).

lars
June 22nd, 2012, 07:27 AM
i've owned a few sporting street ducs, but not an 848. I think the torque makes them about the best canyon bike you could own, but they all sucked around town (ergos, heat from motor and underseat exhaust, etc).

good point about the heat from the undertail exhaust....just get a 1199:) that should clear up the heat problem:)

Bartman
June 25th, 2012, 02:20 PM
I would have to say the worst steet bike of all time that i have ridden has been a Duck, almost like a midevil torture device and that is after riding a street bike with a superbike tail. I have ridden almost every bike u can think of and the only reason I can come up with to own a Duck is u want to be different and thats ok just be aware thats what u r doing.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
June 25th, 2012, 05:40 PM
I would have to say the worst steet bike of all time that i have ridden has been a Duck

So, does that mean you never rode a Kawasaki KH750 Mk IV? I can't think of any Ducati that was as evil as that bike.

Fastt Racing
June 25th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Maybe duc's are a close second to the MKIV... hahaha.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
June 25th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Maybe duc's are a close second to the MKIV... hahaha.
Seriously, you have no idea. I rode a 750 triple that had pipes, porting, and K&N pod filters. It was BY FAR the scariest thing I've ever been on.
For you young 'uns, it was number one here - http://classicmotorcycles.about.com/od/historicaldevelopment/tp/The-10-Worst-Handling-Motorcycles-Of-All-Time.htm

jmaher
June 26th, 2012, 08:18 AM
A 1972 H2 750 was my first street bike. It was cheap and I did not know any better. I have an idea where it now is and am trying to get it back.

On the Duc note, I recently picked up a 05 SS1000DS. Maybe it's because I am short, but the bike fits me fine and I have really been enjoying it.

Joe

Bartman
June 26th, 2012, 08:44 AM
I would have to say the worst steet bike of all time that i have ridden has been a Duck

So, does that mean you never rode a Kawasaki KH750 Mk IV? I can't think of any Ducati that was as evil as that bike.

The H2 was a evil bitch to be sure hell I had a H1 that grounded the ign thought the key in the rain and it shocked the hell out of me but I was not talking about their inherent nature just how unfrigincomfortable some Ducks are. The 916 was a very pretty bike but the ergos were horrible and yes there have been really bad jap bikes as well the gixxers and early zx7s come to mind. :lol: