PDA

View Full Version : New member - hi everyone!

Hyde
June 13th, 2012, 09:34 PM
My name is Heidi and I just moved here from Minnesota. I met some of you at the MRA meeting / bike night tonight (although I probably will ask about your name at least a half dozen more times if I see you). I used to help out with Timing & Scoring for the Central Roadracing Association at BIR in Minnesota, so hopefully I can come out and spectate and maybe help out with racing this year.

Anyway, nice to meet some of you and I'll look forward to meeting more of you at the track! I'll be at IMI this Sunday so if you see a slow girl on a red SV650, say hi :)

Oh and thanks for the gift certificate to the Walnut Room ;)

rybo
June 13th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Heidi,

Scott from Wisconsin here! It was great to meet you tonight and I look forward to seeing you at the races for the rest of the season!

Welcome to the MRA!

Scott

Hyde
June 13th, 2012, 09:50 PM
I won't be around for the next race weekend but I should be able to make the one after that. Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Now I'm thinking of going to a CRA race when I'm back in MN to work to brush up on T&S....hah.

MadVlad
June 13th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Missed ya at the meeting but welcome!

Chadwick929
June 14th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Nice meeting you last night Heidi! Can't wait to see you out there at the races.

Throttleroller277
June 14th, 2012, 10:51 AM
It was great meeting you, and awesome that you have already found the MRA!!

Welcome 8)

Fastt Racing
June 14th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Hey there German girl. It was nice meeting you as well. I will try to remember the braids, haha. I like your enthusiasm about the club. Now get your antifreeze drained, fill her up with some distilled water, and we will see you out at IMI for some BBQ & some funnnnnn! Come down to the Grand Prix Motorsports Bike night tonight in Hilands Ranch. It's about a 40minute drive south for both of us. I'm hauling my race bike down, so I won't be able to ride down. Here is the info http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=14907 Maybe we’ll see you there.

Hyde
June 14th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it tonight. I have a family BBQ thing in Castle Rock to attend.

And I've never had to change my coolant to water for track events, but in this case I'll do what I'm told! :) WTF do I do with the old coolant? And do I add some Water Wetter? I'll buy lunch for whomever comes over to show me how to do this....I'm free all day tomorrow :mrgreen:

rybo
June 14th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Heidi,

It's a straightforward job.

Warm up the bike and either take the plug out of the water pump, or take the lower hose off. Be careful, the water / coolant will be very hot, but you need the bike to warm up in order to get the thermostat to open.

Fill it with distilled water and repeat the process a couple of times until you don't see any more coolant coming out.

Then refill with distilled water and water wetter. Warm it up the first time with the radiator cap off as this will help move the air out of the system.

The reason for this is that glycol (what antifreeze is made of) and asphalt make for a very slippery combination that is extremely difficult to clean up.

You do NOT need to do this for the IMI day on Sunday, but will need to do it if you ride any of our other tracks. (HPR - Pueblo - PPIR)

Have fun on Sunday, sorry I can't be there.

Scott

Chadwick929
June 14th, 2012, 02:00 PM
IMI doesn't require you to take the coolant out, just FYI.

Just read Scott's post.... never mind, damn ninjas!

Hyde
June 14th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I'll do the switch anyway since I've been thinking about doing a half day at HPR next week. Still thinking about it since I'd have to ride there and back from Thornton (boyfriend is working all day Monday so I won't have the truck and ramp).

303 cycle
June 14th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Minnesota eh? Where all dem lakes are and Bob wit da chipper too eh? 8)

Man I miss Detroit Lakes :(

Clarkie
June 14th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Some bikes will bleed up doing it how Rybo explained, some won't......

303 cycle
June 14th, 2012, 03:35 PM
After seeing Sykes miss a sure win in WSBK this year I've decided to run my Kawi dry. Should be rock solid the rest of the year. Plus I save a little front end wieght bias without that dam radiator!

oldtimer
June 14th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Welcome Heidi! Glad you found the club and hope to see you at the track soon. Btw we have a ladies class.... :D

Hyde
June 14th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Ya, Minnesota, eh! Although I'm originally from South Dakota so I don't QUITE have the thick almost-Canadian accent ;)

And I know you have a women's class, but I probably won't ever race. At least until I get through grad school and get a big-girl job and better health insurance! And I should probably know how to fix my bike when it breaks before I go racing ;)

Jon
June 15th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Hey There,
I have great memories racing with the CRA crew. You'll notice a few less spectators with our bunch but then again you'll notice a few less trees and lakes surrounding our racetrack as well. I actually used to compete when Jessica Z. was still racing circa 2003-.
Anyhow glad you found us now if only we had Brainerds turn one at HPR. :lol:

Hyde
June 15th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Hey There,
I have great memories racing with the CRA crew. You'll notice a few less spectators with our bunch but then again you'll notice a few less trees and lakes surrounding our racetrack as well. I actually used to compete when Jessica Z. was still racing circa 2003-.

Yea turn 1 is a doozy! Especially humbling for new racers who think they are king of the street ;) I didn't get to know Jessica very well but I really enjoyed her ZARS courses. I was looking for something like that around here but it sounds like Chicane Days are a thing of the past. Who's going to coach me now?! 00--00

rybo
June 15th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Hey There,

Yea turn 1 is a doozy! Especially humbling for new racers who think they are king of the street ;) I didn't get to know Jessica very well but I really enjoyed her ZARS courses. I was looking for something like that around here but it sounds like Chicane Days are a thing of the past. Who's going to coach me now?! 00--00

Heidi -

Chicane days are gone, but I was the owner and I'm still instructing, but using the track open lapping days instead of renting the whole track.

I'm damaged at the present time from a crash at round one, but am recovering quickly. I hope to ride at a track day in July and be back to coaching by August if that's the route you want to go.

Another option is the MRA SuperStreet program - we do this on every race weekend from now to the end of the season. A group of instructors from the MRA do coaching at the end of the race day on Satruday and then, if you want to, you can compete in a race just for those students. It's a great option, is reasonably priced and really is a tremendous value.

Scott

Hyde
June 15th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks Scott! Starting in late August I'll be a poor grad student but I will hopefully have some cash saved for some lapping days. And I can always make delicious baked goods as a form of bribery. hehe...

I won't be racing but I definitely need ongoing instruction (don't we all...). I MAY think about the Super Street thing but probably not until next season.

MadVlad
June 15th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Thanks Scott! Starting in late August I'll be a poor grad student but I will hopefully have some cash saved for some lapping days. And I can always make delicious baked goods as a form of bribery. hehe...

I won't be racing but I definitely need ongoing instruction (don't we all...). I MAY think about the Super Street thing but probably not until next season.

No excuses lol, just do eeet lol

Fastt Racing
June 18th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Nice write up Rybo! Thanks fer gettin her steered correctly. That process works great on a SV 650. Unless your some Aussie wierdo with wierd cheater bikes, hahaha. JK Clarkie. IMI dosen't check for antifreeze, but it is always the right thing to do when you are on any closed course, so you don't wad my crap for me after you fall down. I made it out to IMI in the afternoon to watch Shawn and his buddies wad for a little while, lol. I'm sorry the rest of you had to ride in 98' heat during the day, but I'm sure it was still fun. See you out there in superstreet soon Hiedi! Rybo isn't kidding it is some great teaching for a steal w/ no major bike prep commitment!

Clarkie
June 18th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Aussie? Oh it's on now! :lol:

Some bikes dont bleed up so easy, but I will let you figure out which ones :wink:

Hyde
June 18th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Yea I left IMI around 2:00...I felt myself getting tired and decided to quit while I was ahead. It was good to get on the track again though! I've got to re-learn a lot of the basics.

I'm leaving on Sunday to work in MN for a few weeks but when I get back I'll definitely get more track time in at IMI since it's so close to my house (13 miles) and I'll hit up a track day or two at HPR when I can get my boyfriend to get that day off of work so we can throw the bike in the truck. Unless someone around Thornton wants to trailer out there together and has room for my bike 00--00 I'll help pay for gas and probably make something yummy to eat.

This is kind of fun...I made a photo compilation in response to so many of my "friends" on Facebook posting tons of pictures of them pregnant every.damn.week. Feel free to critique the most recent one.

2007--2010--2012

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/319774_10102162153768450_806864143_n.jpg

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
June 18th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Aussie? Oh it's on now!:
No 5h1t - calling a Kiwi an Aussie insults Aussies, eh?

Clarkie
June 18th, 2012, 08:47 PM
We have a black dog, should I tell him to get up ya? :lol:

Slo
June 19th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Great to see you on here!!!

Throttleroller277
June 19th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Hiedi,

Just an FYI - I am also available for one on one instruction at track day events, when set up in advance. Schedule permiting.

Feel free to hit me up.

~Brownie 8)

Hyde
June 19th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Hiedi,

Just an FYI - I am also available for one on one instruction at track day events, when set up in advance. Schedule permiting.

Feel free to hit me up.

~Brownie 8)

Thanks! I hope you don't mind I'm adding you all on Facebook--I assume that's a good way to get a hold of people. If not, PM me a good email address or phone number and we can set something up. Thankyouthankyouthankyou

Fastt Racing
June 23rd, 2012, 12:04 AM
I was actually really close to calling him a Brit accent wierdo, but I didn't want to take it to far........ :lol: Clarkie just likes to make things over technical like me sometimes, no big deal. I appologize to all the Aussies I may have insulted! :wink:

Clarkie
June 23rd, 2012, 12:20 AM
well you have the weirdo part right :lol: