PDA

View Full Version : Why you are required to have a fire extinguisher-

JimWilson29
June 11th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Saw this out on FB. Good reminder why everyone is required to have one fire extinguisher per bike in their pits.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/179158_416757051698353_1179698368_n.jpg

lars
June 11th, 2012, 10:01 AM
thread jack!
look at that guys awesome yamaha replica leathers! those are sweet!

rforsythe
June 11th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Also note the burned up gas can, wonder if that was a fueling fire. Don't just have the extinguisher, have it readily accessible. If something ignites the fuel while you are pouring it in and nobody around you can find a way to put it out, you're gonna find yourself possibly on fire, holding 5 gallons of suck.

It's rare, but it does happen.

oldtimer
June 11th, 2012, 01:51 PM
:shock:

rybo
June 11th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Yeah,

The leathers are cool for sure, the bike was even cooler

1995 Yamaha 500CC GP bike....bummer

spideyrdr
June 11th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I saw a few guys who were grilling that could have gone up too. Seal in the juices, fellas, but don't cremate the burgers!

d_mob
June 11th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Yeah,

The leathers are cool for sure, the bike was even cooler

1995 Yamaha 500CC GP bike....bummer

People are placing the value on that bike @ around $140 - $150k!

Dude must be gutted. Both mentally AND financially.

d_mob
June 11th, 2012, 03:27 PM
PS... Regarding fire extinguishers, I see a need for one fully charged unit per pit. If there is one bike, one extinguisher. Three bikes, one extinguisher. If used for some reason (God forbid), unit is replaced.

Also, if you rent a garage, the massive silver one sitting in there should count. However, I'll follow the rules as I don't want to be yelled at like a child misbehaving by Ray Ray. I got enough of that when I walked my bike the wrong direction during the 4hr. Silently took my Ray Ray belittlement and followed his orders to walk my bike all the way back and around the other direction in my hot sweaty leathers. Rules are rules though I guess. :)

***edited to add smiley as I'm only partially butt hurt about my lashing***

rforsythe
June 11th, 2012, 03:40 PM
PS... Regarding fire extinguishers, I see a need for one fully charged unit per pit. If there is one bike, one extinguisher. Three bikes, one extinguisher. If used for some reason (God forbid), unit is replaced.

Also, if you rent a garage, the massive silver one sitting in there should count.

I could see one per bike for this reason: You have a large can of explosive shit right on top, in some cases full of very volatile race fuel. Stack that in close proximity to other similar machines, and it may take more than one to contain the situation. Also you're under a wooden structure at HPR that will go up rather quickly if things aren't handled. One per pit absolute minimum, but one per bike isn't unreasonable IMO. It's cheap protection.

The shiny ones on the posts at HPR are good backups, but I don't think there is one per stall (every other?) and they are located in the back, farthest point from where the fuel is. That could be argued as good or bad, but I can also see the side of the argument for having it closer to the source.

If you think seconds don't count, look at some of the bikes that have gone up in recent years. They've generally taken more than one extinguisher, and unless it's deployed very quickly the fire will hit that tank and then it's game over. I remember Brian's new R6 that lit a pinhole leak at Pueblo, not far from cornerworkers. By the time they got the extinguishers on the bike it had flames 20 feet in the air -- not from a big spill, and not with the cap off exposing a 1" hole.

Some of the rules seem draconian or over the top at times, but IMO this isn't one of them. Fire in a race pit is serious and maybe life threatening, don't screw with it.

marty
June 11th, 2012, 03:45 PM
It doesn't take much for a float to stick open fill a cylinder with fuel and puke fuel out of the exhaust when another cylinder is running.

Id buy that burned up bike :lol: It may finally be in my price range

BTW, I have one extinguisher per 2 smoker so if anyone sees mine burning, please extinguish.

d_mob
June 11th, 2012, 05:38 PM

Also, if you rent a garage, the massive silver one sitting in there should count.

I could see one per bike for this reason: You have a large can of explosive shit right on top, in some cases full of very volatile race fuel. Stack that in close proximity to other similar machines, and it may take more than one to contain the situation. Also you're under a wooden structure at HPR that will go up rather quickly if things aren't handled. One per pit absolute minimum, but one per bike isn't unreasonable IMO. It's cheap protection.

The shiny ones on the posts at HPR are good backups, but I don't think there is one per stall (every other?) and they are located in the back, farthest point from where the fuel is. That could be argued as good or bad, but I can also see the side of the argument for having it closer to the source.

If you think seconds don't count, look at some of the bikes that have gone up in recent years. They've generally taken more than one extinguisher, and unless it's deployed very quickly the fire will hit that tank and then it's game over. I remember Brian's new R6 that lit a pinhole leak at Pueblo, not far from cornerworkers. By the time they got the extinguishers on the bike it had flames 20 feet in the air -- not from a big spill, and not with the cap off exposing a 1" hole.

Some of the rules seem draconian or over the top at times, but IMO this isn't one of them. Fire in a race pit is serious and maybe life threatening, don't screw with it.

That makes sense. One per bike is how we have it now and will leave it as-is. Hope I never have to use mine.

Like Marty said, if you see any of our bikes flaming away, feel free to extinguish as well.

JimWilson29
June 13th, 2012, 01:26 PM
some more pics-

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/554435_3296604866368_220262152_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/562224_3296605866393_842666011_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/421380_3296606266403_1681033981_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/303329_3296607786441_784412971_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/168844_3296608946470_1395138139_n.jpg

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/general-sportbikes/454522-150-000-race-bike-imported-europe-burnt-down-weekend-pits.html

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/600340_3296610266503_1164803107_n.jpg

Wayniac
June 15th, 2012, 09:59 PM
well by my count, it takes 6 extinguishers to put out one 150k GP bike. I'm bringing at least 2 from now on.

Scored51
June 16th, 2012, 01:07 AM

Don't trust your safety to someone else's preparedness. You don't know who and when the last time that big silver can was inspected, filled, or even with what it was filled. The MRA has experienced extinguishers that didn't work when called upon, and I've seen fire extinguishers at race tracks filled with water and charged with compressed air. Spraying water on magnesium or titanium will significantly accelerate the burn process and the area it covers.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be used just because you don't know every detail about them, but provide your own first line of defense and be prepared for the types of fires that may occur.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
June 17th, 2012, 03:29 PM
It doesn't take much for a float to stick open fill a cylinder with fuel and puke fuel out of the exhaust when another cylinder is running.
Hey Marty, what's a "float"? :-P

Seriously, though, one piece of equipment that most injected bike have is a tip over switch. The one on my Ape gave me problems (which has an easy solution) but I wouldn't want to be without one.

kfm61
June 20th, 2012, 08:40 PM
well by my count, it takes 6 extinguishers to put out one 150k GP bike. I'm bringing at least 2 from now on.

We always had 2 extinguishers in our pits. Seldom does anyone get a second chance at safety. When we come back to race next season we may add another one after that picture show!