PDA

View Full Version : Feedback and help

vort3xr6
June 8th, 2012, 10:47 AM
MRA family.

I started up a website and I want your advice and possible help.

www.motopartslist.com

I designed it to be a place where any motorcycle rider can sell or buy used motorcycle parts in a forum environment for free.

Let me know what you think, or how I can make it better, and if you have a few parts laying around, I would really appreciate if you would post anything up so I can test some of the forum features and build an audience.

I am going to make MotoPartsList a big sponsor of the MRA once traffic increases!

Thanks everybody. - Brad

Slo
June 8th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Great idea Brad, can't wait for this site to get the traffic it deserves.

cjmagnuss
June 8th, 2012, 11:27 AM
triumph should have its own section. :D

Desmodromico
June 8th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Advertise it on the WERA board :twisted:

Slo
June 8th, 2012, 11:56 AM
He did haha and it was taken down extremely quick

vort3xr6
June 8th, 2012, 01:39 PM
He did haha and it was taken down extremely quick

lol he isn't joking. It was taken down within seconds of posting. Haters gonna hate.

vort3xr6
June 8th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I added Triumph as a category. I was worried there might not be enough traffic in that sub forum. If it does well I will keep it on there.

Thanks for the help guys.

Clarkie
June 8th, 2012, 04:41 PM
So you pimping your business on their website trying to take business and sales away from them which generates them income, is hating on you?

Brad you have a lot to learn about business :lol:

vort3xr6
June 8th, 2012, 04:47 PM
So you pimping your business on their website trying to take business and sales away from them which generates them income, is hating on you?

Everybody likes close racing!! Just giving the people what they want Clarkie. I supported them and paid $60 to list my bike on their classifieds. It was down half the time and I got zero hits. I miss their old site which could have been profitable for them if they ran it right.

Clarkie
June 8th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I am a little confused by your close racing analogy.

But ok, if you had a shop selling cupcakes, and I walked into your store and had a sign selling my own cupcakes at the same price, you wouldnt have an issue with it? :lol:

I totally agree their old site was way better, the new one blows but that doesn't give you permission to take business away from them by advertising your new site on theirs. Would you be ok with someone else advertising a motorccle/parts forum on your forum? Think about it :wink:

Dont get me wrong, what you are doing is really cool and probably needed but it could classify you as sort of a vendor advertising a service/product on Dave's site (www.mra-racing.org) and while he allows this, there is a section on his forum for that :)

vort3xr6
June 8th, 2012, 05:09 PM
I agree with you Clarkie. I didn't expect a thread over there to stay on there but it was worth a shot. My business does it every day. We sponsor the greenwood village event not because we have a dealership down there, but because our competitors do, and it pisses them off. It's not an uncommon practice to pursuade consumers to switch their loyalty.

Dave could easily take my thread away, but the purpose was to gauge interest and ask for help. I am not making any money, and in fact I don't plan on putting any ads on the site until server costs get to be too much for me and even then, that is a long ways away. I ask for help here because I like the MRA family and fully plan on giving back 10 fold any help I receive. Down the line if this business can be profitable I would gladly sponsor multiple classes, riders, air fence, corner worker gifts, and promote the MRA. Until then my goal is to increase parts listings and awareness so my venture can have a chance.

Clarkie
June 8th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Like I said, I think what you are doing is awesome but you have to look at it from their side. But then I guess if intentionally doing things to upset your competition (remember the motorcycle industry is VERY small.....) is your way of doing things, good luck with everything :D

vort3xr6
June 8th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Like I said, I think what you are doing is awesome but you have to look at it from their side. But then I guess if intentionally doing things to upset your competition (remember the motorcycle industry is VERY small.....) is your way of doing things, good luck with everything :D

You sure are dramatic sometimes. :wink:

I understand their point of view which is why I wasn't too butt hurt when they removed it. I would have done the same thing. And I am not a dick trying it over and over. I trust my product and when the time is right, I believe I will get the audience needed. I appreciate all help and advice I can get. Not trying to piss off the entire industry with a single post.

Clarkie
June 8th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Hater :lol:

AdamandNoahsdad
June 8th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Brad
When you make it big, don't forget, Adam needs a sponsor! :lol:

ducati7044
June 8th, 2012, 09:57 PM
"You're right Clarkie the motorcycle industry is very small. And as a long time successful participant in this "small" industry I learned to take what you ever had to say with a grain of salt!

Well done with the website kid! So maybe you made a mistake by posting it on WERA's website. So what. You learn from your mistakes and move on. Congratulations. The entrepreneurial spirit is in you!

vort3xr6
June 9th, 2012, 12:00 AM
Thank you! And Mike, Adam will be sponsored by graves yamaha well before I can get to him.

Clarkie
June 9th, 2012, 10:38 AM
LMAO @ Mark!!! :lol:

Good luck with your business plan of pissing other shop/orgs off to gain a cult following. Other's have tried this method and didn't last long but I hope it works out for you :D

vort3xr6
June 9th, 2012, 06:58 PM
LMAO @ Mark!!! :lol:

Good luck with your business plan of pissing other shop/orgs off to gain a cult following. Other's have tried this method and didn't last long but I hope it works out for you :D

Once again the dramatic over exaggeration is not warranted or necessary. Thanks for your support and I hope you list some parts!

Ever onward and upward!

Clarkie
June 9th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Ok sorry so you didn't say this? My bad :lol:

My business does it every day. We sponsor the greenwood village event not because we have a dealership down there, but because our competitors do, and it pisses them off.

Like I said, I think what you have created is awesome and probably much needed. I will leave your thread alone now, but maybe add the link to your signature so people know where to go 8)

vort3xr6
June 9th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Ok sorry so you didn't say this? My bad :lol:

My business does it every day. We sponsor the greenwood village event not because we have a dealership down there, but because our competitors do, and it pisses them off.

Like I said, I think what you have created is awesome and probably much needed. I will leave your thread alone now, but maybe add the link to your signature so people know where to go 8)

Thanks Clarkie.

random hero
June 10th, 2012, 07:19 PM

Everybody likes close racing!! Just giving the people what they want Clarkie. I supported them and paid $60 to list my bike on their classifieds. It was down half the time and I got zero hits. I miss their old site which could have been profitable for them if they ran it right.
I hear ya on that... I had more views in 6 hours on ebay than I did in 4 months on that site... took me over a week to list it in the first place, was a total nightmare. Glad to see you do this! I'll put ad's up asap!!!!

NossLou
June 11th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Dang brad the site really does look great. I will admit too that WERA classifides went to shit back when they switched over. I feel its a much needed replacement.

You just need to figure out how to get it to start seriously trafficing parts/bikes/gear. I will start posting up some things I have needed gone for quite some time. Wasn't going to pay WERA to sell a used item for next to nothing, where this listing cost is a third of what I'm asking for. Pretty much giving the stuff away... but it just sits.

Another note I would like to make is if there is any way to make a seller/buyer feedback section. In the past I have seen some people ripped off, even by some in our club. I was also a victim of this and since pretty much quite buying off the internet. I know its the risk you take but if there is some way to create a tab or what not to give a heads up with the person you are selling/or buying from it may be beneficial. Its just a thought and I'd like to throw it out there.

BTW Tomatoe I'm still rocking your sticker on the trailer so I need a forum sticker to put next to your road emblem and number.

Hope this works out for you man! Great Idea!

When you give Gates a run for his money and need a spud to sponsor with tomatoe juice hit me up!

vort3xr6
June 11th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Dang brad the site really does look great. I will admit too that WERA classifides went to shit back when they switched over. I feel its a much needed replacement.

You just need to figure out how to get it to start seriously trafficing parts/bikes/gear. I will start posting up some things I have needed gone for quite some time. Wasn't going to pay WERA to sell a used item for next to nothing, where this listing cost is a third of what I'm asking for. Pretty much giving the stuff away... but it just sits.

Another note I would like to make is if there is any way to make a seller/buyer feedback section. In the past I have seen some people ripped off, even by some in our club. I was also a victim of this and since pretty much quite buying off the internet. I know its the risk you take but if there is some way to create a tab or what not to give a heads up with the person you are selling/or buying from it may be beneficial. Its just a thought and I'd like to throw it out there.

BTW Tomatoe I'm still rocking your sticker on the trailer so I need a forum sticker to put next to your road emblem and number.

Hope this works out for you man! Great Idea!

When you give Gates a run for his money and need a spud to sponsor with tomatoe juice hit me up!

Thanks Nik!

I have a large parts inventory about to be put on the site in the next week. Lots of full systems, rearsets, levers, PC3's, bodywork, jackets, boots, helmets, etc.

Also, I am doing a promotion in July giving away a $150 Motorcycle Superstore gift card to one member. To be eligible to win you must post at least 1 item for sale.

As far as the buyer seller rating system. The one in place on the site now has lots of potential, IF people use it. I will be developing a minimum score you must maintain in order to list parts.

I will be getting some stickers made shortly once I finalize the logo with my graphics guy and they will be available to all!

jplracing
June 11th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Brad

Instead of "motorcycles for sale" have you considered a "street motorcycle" and "Race Motorcycle" section?

Just a thought

vort3xr6
June 11th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Brad

Instead of "motorcycles for sale" have you considered a "street motorcycle" and "Race Motorcycle" section?

Just a thought

Good idea! I will add that section in. I thought about a "Race Parts" section but then it might get confusing for the seller.