PDA

View Full Version : NGTU PPIR - Race video and gearing question

t_jolt
May 25th, 2012, 08:28 PM
So here is the NGTU race from ppir. I started second from last. finished 18th out of 34.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0MA6TCBcrE&feature=youtu.be

So now that brings up a question. What gearing should i be at? as you can see once i get on the straight, people just walk away cause im in second gear and at 6-7k rpms. I know my gearing was way to tall. I only hit 4th a couple times. Im currently running a 15 front 45 in the rear. I have a 48 currently i could change it out for. But im afraid that might be to short.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Tyrel

AR
May 25th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Easy question. Try it in practice and see if it works better.

Wayniac
May 25th, 2012, 09:41 PM
I was using the same gearing and using 5th on front a back straight. Was thinking of adding 2 teeth in rear.

rybo
May 25th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Tyrel,

Sorry I didn't see your text message until now -

I don't really know anything about gearing for the R6 - especially not the latest generation.

I would point you to Shannon or Jeff for advice on bike set up for the R6- they both have a ton of experience with that motorcycle.

s

t_jolt
May 26th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Well seeing 5th ended up getting you a 104 lap time. Perhaps I just need to go faster (haha) I think I would feel more comfortable adding 2 instead of 3 to the bike but I'll work with what I have.

Wayniac
May 26th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Well seeing 5th ended up getting you a 104 lap time. Perhaps I just need to go faster (haha) I think I would feel more comfortable adding 2 instead of 3 to the bike but I'll work with what I have.

Didn't stop me from crashing. :lol: I think 2 would be the way to go. 3 might work if you had a 16 in front.

Wayniac
May 26th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Great video by the way. I crashed right behind you on lap 8.

Wayniac
May 26th, 2012, 10:23 AM
I just checked it out 16/48 gives you a 3.00, same as a 15/45.

Throttleroller277
May 26th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Practice would indeed be the time to play with gearing. But there are several things:

First off, everyone's riding styles vary, so what might work for one might not work for another. Corner speed, braking, throttle, etc... For instance, I run a 16-44, but also carry more corner speed, and get on the throttle sooner.

I'm glad you posted the video.

While watching the video, with volume, I noticed that you are hesitant on the throttle thru turn 2. On the gas, roll off a little, roll a little more throttle on, maybe back it off again.... You can really see/ hear it in the first few laps. This is effecting your drive tremendously. The others pulling you, is not necessarily gearing, but a matter of getting on the throttle sooner, and more consistently.

This also tells me that you are looking either right in front of you at the ground, or the wall, instead of looking down the race track for the next turn. Pick your eyes up, and look further down the track. This will smooth out your throttle, and you will subconsciously get on the throttle harder/sooner, because your mind now sees where you are going. Same thing with the final turn. It appears that they are just getting on the throttle harder/sooner. Don't look at the wall, look for start finish. When we see the wall, our minds won't let us get on the throttle, for fear of puttin ourselves into it. Eyes up!

Mid race you didnt fluctuate your throttle as much, and it made a big difference.

With that said...... I bet if you did that simple thing of looking further down the track, setting the throttle sooner, that alone will pick your rpm's up sooner, giving you a better drive out, because now your rpm are 1500-2000 higher. Our rpm's changed, and we didnt change gearing at all.

Your gearing might be right after all???

As you continue to get faster, and carry more corner speed, your rpm's are going to increase. So I wouldn't worry about it too much right now, till we go back to that track.

~Brownie

Throttleroller277
May 26th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Where are your RPM's exiting T3, and exiting the chicane?

jmaher
May 26th, 2012, 10:07 PM
+1 to Jeff. He helped me a lot.

Joe

t_jolt
May 29th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Where are your RPM's exiting T3, and exiting the chicane?

Actually jeff, while re-watching the video, i can tell you that in the first few laps, i was quite honestly scared to pass. I was fearful of people not holding their lines. ( now given, i know im not the best at that either) but there was a couple close calls that well i didnt want to chance. Also i dont feel that comfortable passing yet. Yet one more thing amongst a long list to work on.

Also my rpms are low, out of power band low. slow corners im horrible at. along with chicane. Those are my worst points. In fact on that day, i couldve been in first going into 4 and keeping in 1st exiting the chicane. I stayed in second gear through turn 3 - exiting the chicane. my rpms exiting t3 was probably closer to 8-10k and exiting the chicane was around 7-9k hence why i feel people really just got up and walked away at that part of the track. i am slow going through turns and really need to work on it. Turn 6,8 and the chicane at hpr are my worst enemy. I feel like i really need to work on my exits and corner speed.

Jeff how would you feel about showing me how to increase my corner speed? :)

Thanks
Tyrel

Throttleroller277
May 30th, 2012, 06:23 AM
We certainly can work on some things.

scooter
May 30th, 2012, 10:51 PM
I totally agree with what Jeff says. If you go out and spend money on new sprockets, to get the better drive out of corners it could be a waste of your money for your race budget. With more time on that track your corner speed will get faster and the drive will get better out of the corners.
So if you did switch the sprockets with time you might just have to switch back to where you are right now.That being said I'm running 14 & 46 and next time at PPIR I plan on practicing with a 48 to see how that effects things.

Young Luke
May 31st, 2012, 12:31 AM
Tyrel, I was running 15/45 at PPIR on my R6. I was in 5th going down the hill into T1 and in 2nd through the infield out to the front straight. It's all about corner speed, and drive out as Jeff mentions. I've had the same talk with him and am faster because of it :)

How does the bike feel going in, mid, and coming out of corners? Does it feel like something bad could happen at any moment? Are you compensating at all for anything squirrelly?

I don't know if you've touched your suspension or not, but a well sorted suspension has done wonders for my confidence which translates into faster corners as well.

Luke

KFinn
May 31st, 2012, 09:53 AM
+1 for corner speed.

FWIW, I just about have stock gearing on my bike. I had bought a 15tooth front but never put it on. I have 1 tooth added on the rear over stock and the front is a stock 16 tooth. I wasn't the fastest out there but was still pulling 1:02-1:04 and never saw anything above 4th.

Wayniac
June 7th, 2012, 10:58 PM
I feel gearing is a great way to increase lap times when done right. Also a cheaper way. PPIR is a short track, your not going to hit 165mph. That said I try to set up for max acceleration, without sacrificing rideability.

rforsythe
June 8th, 2012, 07:41 AM
With that said...... I bet if you did that simple thing of looking further down the track, setting the throttle sooner

This. It's amazing how simply picking your sight up makes a difference in where you go, and how fast you get there.

Clarkie
June 8th, 2012, 09:09 AM
I feel gearing is a great way to increase lap times when done right. Also a cheaper way. PPIR is a short track, your not going to hit 165mph. That said I try to set up for max acceleration, without sacrificing rideability.

Sometimes a certain gearing will only go so fast around a given track. I have been busting my ass at times with every thing I could do with suspension and settings to drop a second with no luck, then changed my gearing and the time came off eaiser than I expected. Pueblo was a classic case of this, but bear in mind different riders will like different gearing on the same bike doing the same lap times. ST and I never ran the same gearing even though we were on the same spec bikes, on the same tracks, doing the same lap times.

Be warned that a lot of the time a certain gearing wont even be close if you are not riding at full race pace. Riding my bikes at 80% sucked big time so I couldn't just go out and do a few laps cruising around as the gearing and suspension settings simply didn't work.

Physics do interesting things in motorcyle racing and there are programs out there to set your bike/suspension up for a certain G loading which make things even more interesting 8)