PDA

View Full Version : GoPro help

jmaher
May 22nd, 2012, 12:45 PM
Any experts out there? I have a file that downloads (1GB) but will not open. I think it has some cool stuff.

thanks,

Joe

Slo
May 22nd, 2012, 12:48 PM
+1

I had my first race recored with a contour gps and it won't play, says it's UNDF. Any subject matter experts that can help?

Tried the following they mentioned in an email and it didn't work:
Thanks for contacting Contour Technical Support. Sorry you're having troubles. Recovery of files is seldom successful. The "UNDF" stands for "undefined" and usually means that the file was incomplete during transfer from the camera to the computer or it could be that the video is corrupted from using an unformatted, corrupt or incompatible, SD card.

Please read through the information below. You may want to try suggestion 2 before suggestion 1.

1. The UNDF error is the computer telling you that the file type is "undefined" and it needs to know the file type in order to play it. If you can open the file in QuickTime, click "save as" select .MOV and rename the file. This may reconstruct the codec to the native QuickTime format and then you'll be able to open it.

2. You also can try just renaming the .MOV extension with .M4V and try to import into iMovie. In very extreme circumstances, using a file converter such as the one found at this web site : http://www.squared5.com/ can help you to overcome the issue.

spideyrdr
May 22nd, 2012, 01:18 PM
Depending on your OS, it might not be able to play the MP4 files with the software you've got.

Try VLC media player. It plays MP4 files and just about anything you can throw at it:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

If you have a PS3, put the SD card into a USB card reader, put the card reader, and you should be able to browse to the video. This is my favorite way to check out the footage right after the race prior to editing it.

Finally I use avidemux (avail for several different OS'es) to splice and dice clips shot with my GoPro.

AR
May 22nd, 2012, 01:37 PM
I'm no SME, but I've NEVER had a problem running footage from a GoPro on my cheapo desktop, using VLC Media Player.

Smitty
May 22nd, 2012, 01:39 PM
There are also video repair software programs that might help. I know VLC is a really good player and will play a lot of different video types even when there are errors.

jmaher
May 27th, 2012, 01:18 PM
On a related subject, does anyone have a GoPro HD Hero2? If so, how do you like it and how does it compare to the regular HD Hero?
Joe

vort3xr6
May 27th, 2012, 11:58 PM
GoPro records files in h264 with an MP4 container. The way MP4's work is that they have an opening sequence on code and a closing sequence of code. If the camera runs out of batteries for example, that piece if code that tells the file to close is lost and the video will be corrupt. There are a few programs out there that will repair that code and attempt to patch it up. PM me on Tuesday or Wednesday and I can send over any info I got.

AdamandNoahsdad
May 28th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Brad
Please post what programs will fix that the easiest way. We have run into the battery going dead problem before and missed some great footage because of it.
Thanks