PDA

View Full Version : Excessive tire wear at PPIR?

dave.gallant
May 21st, 2012, 05:33 PM
Just curious: Anyone experience excessive tire wear at PPIR last weekend?

rforsythe
May 21st, 2012, 06:07 PM
Pretty consistent for me at Pikes. Did all of Sat on my HPR tires from round 1 with no issues.

gsnyder828
May 21st, 2012, 06:27 PM
I'm not sure :oops:

My first weekend on a big bike... went through 2 rears. I did have some shock issues that sped up the demise of the first rear, so the 2nd still has life in it.

Bueller999
May 21st, 2012, 07:01 PM
I had practice and endurance on a new rear at HPR. Saturday-1 practice, 2 sprints and endurance. Flipped it Sat evening. Sunday- no practice and 3 sprints now it pretty well done. It still has life on the very outsides but is toast midway out.

SV 650, so not a powerhouse.

Wayniac
May 21st, 2012, 09:44 PM
That's why they call it "the cheese grater"

NossLou
May 22nd, 2012, 06:58 AM
Didn't think this was a serious question at first...then was surprised to see people said no. I would say it wasn't excessive for what was expected, but if you raced more than a few races the answer was quite apparent that PPIR wears tires faster than any other track...

Taking an almost new DOT and turning it into a slick (literally except for the middle) in one day of practice (flipped at lunch)....HPR and pueblo I could run the same rear tire for the track day before and usually the enitre weekend....

Lets be honest Pueblo will probably destroy tires this year! Just like HPR back in the day

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
May 22nd, 2012, 07:01 AM
I drastically reduced my tire wear by applying Motul to my rear in the infield. There was a little reduction in grip as well, however.

Seriously, I found the track pretty grippy - even the seams on the exit of turn 1 didn't seem to be any problem. And I didn't notice any unusual tire wear. I'm using last years' British Dunlop NTEC's, BTW.

NossLou
May 22nd, 2012, 07:12 AM
Pretty sure it was the motul that conditioned the tire to last even longer than it was designed for....I think you on to something here.... Wonder if soaking my tires in the used amsoil I have each weekend would help :D

dave.gallant
May 22nd, 2012, 09:49 AM
Yes, this was a serious question. The track seemed a bit green to me without a lot of rubber on it but other than that, it seemed grippy and normal. Some bikes were having all sorts of problems, and others not at all. So, I was just curious...

Jimbo - Motul is a fantastic lubricant. It even smells damn good. But, it is too expensive to go throwing all over the rear tire like that. If you really want shiny tires, I will buy you some Armor All instead.

Clarkie
May 22nd, 2012, 10:28 AM
The thing I quickly learned racing all over two different countries, in probably every type of weather conditions possible and all types of tracks in all different conditions, is that some tracks have grip or take time to 'come in' and some tracks are just green/slippery (especially when Brewer is oiling the track in front of you on one of those 'piggish' Aprilia's :lol: )

If a tire is 'tearing up' after 4-6 laps it is usually a sign your tire compound, pressure is wrong or your suspension needs a LOT of help. A good tire or suspension person can look at the way a tire is wearing and tell you exactly what you are doing and how you are getting on the throttle. By that I mean if you are feeding the power on early with the bike leaned over, or waiting a little longer then standing the bike and just grabbing a big handful 8)

Neither way is wrong but it will wear a tire very differently. If this is the case then you really need to check the tire compound/pressure or suspension information you have been given. Stopping a tire from tearing actually isnt that hard, if you are getting good information :wink:

sheispoison
May 22nd, 2012, 10:57 AM
It took me destroying 2 rears to get it dialed to feel ok and the tire to wear ok. There were a couple things I still wish had been different. By Sunday I had things working about as good as it was going to with what I had.
I gotta thank Dave Rose for making it work on Sunday even though I had re-inserted my head in my ass for the HWSB race...

dave.gallant
May 22nd, 2012, 11:00 AM
...even though I had re-inserted my head in my ass for the HWSB race...

I saw this. I have never seen a giant orange pumpkin shoved so cleanly up someones ass.

(It was not pretty and unfortunately, it can not be unseen.)

sheispoison
May 22nd, 2012, 11:18 AM
I have some gopro footage of what basically equates to my helmet moving around on the seat.

dave.gallant
May 22nd, 2012, 11:20 AM
I have some gopro footage of what basically equates to my helmet moving around on the seat.

OK -- So not everyone knows what the hell Hot Carl is talking about here, but I am laughing out loud with the visual.

He really can be a funny dude. Not simply funny looking either, but actually pretty damn funny. Who knew!?

(back to the tire discussion)

sheispoison
May 22nd, 2012, 11:38 AM
Sorry about the side track. :?

JWinter
May 23rd, 2012, 07:39 PM
I had no issues and my tires have all of last season on them. God I love GP bikes. I was struggling to turn the bike left-at a counterclockwise track. My shoulder is still pretty weak from my rd 1 get off and it really effected my ability to make transitions to the left on the brakes.

Wayniac
May 25th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Had I finished the weekend, I'm sure my tires would have been destroyed. For what it's worth, Bob told me it destroys car tires too. :lol:

Hopefully they get the road course finished for next season and we won't have to deal with "Thunderdome" anymore.