PDA

View Full Version : Will a fat guy be competitive on the 250?

James87
May 12th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Hello all,

I'm new here and will thank you in advance for giving me some honest input.
I am looking to to race in the 250 cup class in another season or two. I haven't purchased a bike yet, but plan on starting with either the Ninja 250R or the CBR250R, Have not decided yet.

a little about me, I have zero race experience, and very limited "on-road" experience. I wanted to start on the smaller displacement bikes so I could focus more on technique. And the 250's are more cost effective.

So my question is, At 6' and 205Lbs would I be competitive in this class or would I just embarrass myself?

Thank you kindly.

hcr25
May 12th, 2012, 12:25 PM
If all other things are equal no you will not be competitive. By this i mean if there is no difference in rider skill, bike horsepower, tires, suspension ect. Usually this is not the case but extra weight, bike or rider is usually a disadvantage.
mike

lars
May 12th, 2012, 12:53 PM
I think you have the right idea to start in the 250 class. I started out in the superstreet program and after graduating to a novice license I chose the 250 class because it is a cheaper platform to purchase and race. It also forces you to work on techniques at a more moderate pace that might feel rushed at the pace on board a 600cc+ bike.
Yes weight will be a disadvantage but as a starting place you should still enjoy it a LOT!
-2cents

AdamandNoahsdad
May 12th, 2012, 12:58 PM
If you are a new rider, skill will be the limiting factor. Not weight. There is another thread on here somewhere about whether Hammer ( a fast guy) would still be fast if he were a lard ass. If you want to see the large size on a little bike thing taken to the extreme, Rocky Mountain Mini Moto is racing at Bandimere tomorrow (Sunday). My advice, hurry up and buy a bike and get racing now!

James87
May 12th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the quick responses and I appreciate the feedback,

I plan on attending a few of the Super Street events and numerous track days before I start in the cup class, So hopefully my technique will improve greatly.

My main focus is technique,That's why I feel the 250 would suit me best. I didn't want hop on a liter bike and kill myself lol.

All that being said, I just want to have fun without spending too much money. I am currently building an 86 FZ 750 for race but its a good 2 years away from the track. I figured a few seasons on the 250's and I would move up in displacement. I just haven't seen any "heavy" individuals on the little bikes.

Thanks again for the advise!

lars
May 12th, 2012, 01:40 PM
When you come on out to the track stop by my pit for a visit, you can pick mine and anybody elses brain on what direction you want to go in.
im on the white 250 number #912!

Bueller999
May 12th, 2012, 01:46 PM
I am 5-11 and around 210-215# and I rode a 250 last year and had an absolute blast. Skill will trump weight disadvantage on the majority of the circuit. I was no where near the front and it didn't bother me at all. I raced with the people I was close to in skill and was probably the heaviest one out there. I ended up just racing LW Endurance and finished 10th overall and ran track days as often as possible. I got passed a lot and did a lot of passing.
Now I am on an SV650 and really enjoying it and believe the 250 taught me so much I wish I would have started on one 8 years ago instead of the R6 I rode my first year.

You can look at some of my videos of my 250 rides and see what it's like.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrBueller999/videos

James87
May 12th, 2012, 06:08 PM
lars, I will definitely stop by and pick your brain to get some pointers. I'll have a lot of questions so be ready lol.

Bueller999, That makes me feel a lot better about racing the 250. Your video's were a blast to watch and makes me very anxious to get the ball rolling with this. Hopefully I can get my wife on the track too. also, any reason you went with the light weight endurance class as opposed to the 250 cup?

on a side note, How did the Totsubo exhaust work for you?

Bueller999
May 12th, 2012, 06:47 PM
I moved to endurance for financial reasons. The Totsubo dyno'd at almost 1hp more than my Area P at around 9500-10k but doesn't have the overrev. I figured I spend more time @ the lower rpm so I went with it. With my weight I did not really get pulled very much on the long straights. Drafting was a good thing when I could get in behind someone.
My old 250 will be running Superstreet @ PPIR next weekend with it's new owner, I would suggest you bring your wife out to watch the 250's run. Feel free to stop in my pit if you want to talk more about them. #99 this year.

kitten
May 12th, 2012, 06:53 PM
You are more than welcome to stop by my pit as well. I just started racing the 250 (race an r6 before). I love it and am one of the heavier riders on the 250. Number 250.

T Baggins
May 13th, 2012, 07:54 PM
I'm 165, Cooner is probably 185... and he kicked my ass on Saturday at HPR.

James87
May 14th, 2012, 06:14 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind gesture. I don't think I can make it to PPIR this coming weekend. However, I do plan on spectating a few events and will certainly stop in the pits To say hello and pick your brains for a bit.

T baggins, did Imodium A-D send you any cool stickers for your bike.. :wink:

T Baggins
May 14th, 2012, 09:04 AM
T baggins, did Imodium A-D send you any cool stickers for your bike.. :wink:

Yes, as matter of fact they did. :lol:

powers
May 16th, 2012, 09:53 AM
...My old 250 will be running Superstreet @ PPIR next weekend with it's new owner...

I will be on Bueller's old bike on Sat for SS. Stop by and say hi, I will be with the SS hooligans.

I am 5' 11" 190 lbs. I am trying to drop weight now, but more important getting in shape.

Round 1 was my first race on any type of motorcycle and it was a BLAST!! Ya, I was getting passed by the bigger bikes and lapped by 2-3 riders, but F it I was having fun and learning A LOT. I am really looking forward to a level playing field, bike wise, in Prod 250!

powers
May 16th, 2012, 10:03 AM
You can look at some of my videos of my 250 rides and see what it's like.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrBueller999/videos

So loud!! Sorry neighbors :twisted:

lars
May 16th, 2012, 10:23 AM
...My old 250 will be running Superstreet @ PPIR next weekend with it's new owner...

I will be on Bueller's old bike on Sat for SS. Stop by and say hi, I will be with the SS hooligans.

I am 5' 11" 190 lbs. I am trying to drop weight now, but more important getting in shape.

Round 1 was my first race on any type of motorcycle and it was a BLAST!! Ya, I was getting passed by the bigger bikes and lapped by 2-3 riders, but F it I was having fun and learning A LOT. I am really looking forward to a level playing field, bike wise, in Prod 250!

but i think you were also ahead of 3 600cc bikes as well by the finish!

polar x
May 16th, 2012, 09:03 PM
I'm 165, Cooner is probably 185... and he kicked my ass on Saturday at HPR.

Tony is being kind.... :oops: I beat him, but it was far from a ass kicking. :wink:
I go close to 200lbs with all my gear on. And though I may not be able to hang with Hammer, shramy and t-bag, I am also not a slow guy.
The 250 will teach you corner speed and traffic management.

You will have fun and do well to start on one. Then stepping up to the 600 or liter bikes will be easier. I did it backwards, but I dont listen very well.... :roll:

Come out and watch, ask questions to those of us on them (green number 915 for me) and bring your wife. Get her comfy about it and have her see all other SO's helping in the pits and even the other women racing.

Welcome to the addiction :!: :!: