PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on a "real" roadrace course UPDATED 2/19

The GECCO
February 5th, 2007, 01:10 PM
2/19 UPDATE - see my post on page 3 http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?p=19968#19968

There is a possibility that we would be able to race this season on a street course circuit in Casper, WY. This is similar to what we used to do in Steamboat, for those that are ancient enough to remember the good old days.

So, without me providing any more specifics, tell me your general feelings about this idea.

hcr25
February 5th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Hell YES!. If you ever had a chance to race at Steam Boat it was a blast.

glenngsxr
February 5th, 2007, 02:20 PM
that sounds sweet. Jake lives there, we could all bunk at his house!

Lel399
February 5th, 2007, 03:44 PM
that sounds awesome!!! a few safety concerns, but outside that i would be all!!! for it

Racing616
February 5th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I am personaly totally against it. That stuff scares the crap out of me. I had the ability to take the GTO around the road course up in Casper and I think it might be about as safe as Mead or Second Creek, so I guess that's ok, but I was IN A CAR. Too many questiobnable concerns for me. If we get it going, I only request that it has no impact on championship, because I don't think I would race it.

Bartman
February 5th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I raced steamboat in 98, the last year it was run and I was a novice. It did scare the crap out of me but it was fun once you got used to running on the wrong side of the double yellows.
It was also a huge draw from around the country as it was the last real road course, some big name people came to run steamboat. So many people wanted to run the Boat that you had to have run a previous MRA race to be able to sign up, that's how big it was.
Just like anywhere else you have to race the track and keep at about 90% in reserve most of the time.
Bartman

Throttleroller277
February 5th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I'm in!!!!! 8)

Lurch
February 5th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Is the course actually in the town or some side roads on the out skirts?

I raced Steamboat a bunch of times and was the track marshall for one of the events. Some of the worse wrecks I have ever seen were at Steamboat. But I will admit is was a lot of fun. I would have to see the course before I would make a call either way.

Lurch

Clarkie
February 5th, 2007, 07:59 PM
nope not me, riding a 200hp bike is hard enough without having to worry about telephone poles, man hole covers, houses, street curbs and stuff like that.

Of course on a itybity 600 it would be cake ;)

jplracing
February 5th, 2007, 08:33 PM
I never had the chance to race steamboat...wish I had, it looked like a blast.

If we could address the safety stuff I am all for it!

DingleBerns
February 5th, 2007, 08:48 PM
[-o<

Jakeracer
February 5th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I am not 100% sure how the track configuration is, but I know that they have ran it several times for vintage car racing etc. It is outside of town a bit and to be honest, its alot like LaJunta or Pueblo as far as run-off. Mostly in the weeds is where a guy would end up if he got in a bind. What makes it more bitchin? You can almost thow a rock to my house from there! woo hoo how often does that happen? :lol: Either way, I am behind Glen and the MRA in their decision if it was to happen.

polar x
February 5th, 2007, 09:05 PM
oh well, you only live once, sign me up. Sounds like fun to me.

TBSgraphics
February 5th, 2007, 09:20 PM
OK, I ran Steamboat, it was a blast, but if we are going to do it, do it right like this first one... but here's a few vid of real "roadracing"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1186397791619632970&q=ireland+racing+motorcycle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUjWKSYLNpk&mode=related&search=

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6275135294865291070&q=ireland+roadracing+motorcycle+TT

Lel399
February 5th, 2007, 09:21 PM
jake can you post up a google map sat image of t he area? I would ike to see what is around there.

TBSgraphics
February 5th, 2007, 09:34 PM
http://www.realroadracing.com/calendar.php

15 race weekend season, and none of them on a "real" track, but by the looks of the onboards the track surfaces are better than what we race on now....

DingleBerns
February 5th, 2007, 09:48 PM
:-k....How many donkey punches does this one take?!?!

Jon
February 6th, 2007, 07:57 AM
In like 1999 myself, Terry Teske and Ricky Orlando actually went to Casper,WY with then MRA president Connie Kasil and rode a proposed course that was layed out. It was really fast and at one point ran perpendicular then paralel to I-25. We proposed some changes in order to slow it down and add more interest to the course. Glen is this the same course with the changes?
I believe they've been running cars up there for years? The Boat was setup at the end of the season and most if not all Championships were already decided. It wasn't a place to hang it out as there were some pretty serious crashes there and some folks got badly injured. If we were to again run a road course the safety of the riders and spectators has to be considered. There was some moumental crowd control at Steamboat and without the help of the local community we could not have pulled it off. I guess with airfence we do have at least one advantage that we didn't have back then. But again bikes are faster and road courses do deserve respect.
To comment on another thing. Steamboat was actually replaced by Park City Utah which ran for one year. It was equally as fun but even more dangerous (at least I thought) and I hear the IOM's a blast!

The GECCO
February 6th, 2007, 08:28 AM
The course the cars have been running is essentially the same as what you rode, Jon.

After looking at it and talking with the board last night the feeling right now is that there just wouldn't be enough interest in this course to hold an event there. However, we are exploring some other options up there, so stay tuned.

Otis
February 6th, 2007, 08:46 AM
I'm not real excited about it, but it would depend upon the safety of the course. I'm not a fan of stop signs, curbing, or other potential hazards not generally associated with a race track.

Timmay!
February 6th, 2007, 08:50 AM
Otis, did you like racing at Stapleton?

Otis
February 6th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Oh yea, that track was way fun! I'd go back there for sure. It was a little funky, but it was fast!

Clarkie
February 6th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Oh yea, that track was way fun! I'd go back there for sure. It was a little funky, but it was fast!

Still go back there and race 100% on a new R1 Superbike with kick ass tires?

Lurch
February 6th, 2007, 10:14 AM

Hell yea it was the old airport. You could run off the track at speed anywhere and not hit a thing. The only problem was finding the track again after you got turned around.

Otis
February 6th, 2007, 11:13 AM

No doubt!

clowe
February 6th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I think racing a real road course would be amazing. I'm in for sure!

Timmay!
February 7th, 2007, 04:35 PM
I am reserving my opinion until I hear from Dburns #118... :roll:

Throttleroller277
February 7th, 2007, 04:36 PM
=D> =D> 8)

chris nami
February 7th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I am all for it! they race this stuff in Europe all the time and it is amazing to watch. i have always wanted to race a REAL road race like Macoue or Isle of Mann. It would definatly be interesting.

DingleBerns
February 7th, 2007, 08:08 PM
you'll be on reserve for a while....

TBSgraphics
February 7th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Loved racing Steamboat but keep in mind races on temp street courses are DANGEROUS, Ilse of Man has had 223 racers die there since 1907 and even the great Joey Dunlop died racing a street course.

Spiderman
February 8th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I'd love to do it. Sure there will be additional dangers, but everyone's got to deal with them. Ride within the limits and have fun! 8)

T Baggins
February 9th, 2007, 08:22 AM
More people die falling in the shower every year than die in ten years of motorsports (ok, I'll admit I did not research that stat - it was conveniently tucked in my ass...)

Anyway, I loved Steamboat - dangers and all - and would support a new street course.

TBSgraphics
February 9th, 2007, 04:01 PM
More people die falling in the shower every year than die in ten years of motorsports (ok, I'll admit I did not research that stat - it was conveniently tucked in my ass...)

Anyway, I loved Steamboat - dangers and all - and would support a new street course.

I also heard that more MRA racers get hurt shoveling snow each winter than racing, wait maybe that was just u... :lol:

Racing616
February 9th, 2007, 08:29 PM
yeah.......I would rather shovel, the dangers are not worth it. I don't "race within the limits", I puch them. Interesting that the three people who are sort of against this whole idea are top RoR racers............the idea of a superbike out there is frightening. Accidents happen, I fell twice last year, and I had a large safety margin that allowed me to get back on and keep racing. Fall in Wyoming, hit a fence, curb, or hell, even a hole in the un-smooth dirt or a huge tuft of crazy strong super bionic invincible Wyoming grass, and you can kiss your season goodbye. I would rather be able to make it to work on Tuesday after a good safe weekend and have more safety. I have no issue with people doing this race, do what you choose, but PLEASE don't make it part of the series. We are not a street course racing series.

Timmay!
February 12th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Well spoken Brad. I concur. Racing on a street course has a certain intrigue, but the enjoyment and the novelty don't outweigh the risks. I think we are all so desperate for a new venue that we will gravitate toward anything at this point.

Raggedy
February 13th, 2007, 11:36 AM
So I was lucky enough to ride this track on the trip with Connie Kassel and others. The major issue with this track was the back stretch. Well over a mile in length with a banked downhill entrance. It was sick!!! right up to the point where you have to get it shut down for a low speed bottom of 2nd gear corner. We did the math, (cause the radar gun the PO PO was holding didn't read 179 MPH till I popped out of the bubble and made a downshift) that top speed was around 200. We proposed to the city that a carousel be added somewhere in the middle of the backstretch, but they said no. On the issue of safety, compared to Steamboat, this track is safer when it comes to objects in impact areas. Major concerns were the fence lining the climb to the last turn on to the front straight. The only curbing is in Turn 1, which is far enough away from start/ finish to let things get sorted out.

It looks to me like the poll is indicating a majority in favor of going, I agree. If I have the opportunity, I trust the MRA will have the proper safety measures in place, and the best corner workers anywhere to take care of us!!

Double T

Raggedy
February 13th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Sounds like there are other options in the works. don't think we would be riding the course by the convention center. Yeah old school roadracing back again!!

twowheelslide
February 14th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Count me in!

turtle evans
February 17th, 2007, 02:16 PM
shit man I got nothing to live for......sign me up....I'm not scurred of nothin!

The GECCO
February 19th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Mike Applehans, Kyle Isker and I drove to Casper over the weekend and met with some people there. We looked at the existing street course and also looked at four other options I had identified from satellite photos. The short version of the story is that there was simply no way to make any of them safe enough.

The good news is that we are trying to negotiate doing something at the local airport. I have put together some initial plans for what would be a VERY fun, fast and safe course. Over the next few weeks I and Will Chambers (MRA member that works in the Casper City Attorneys office) will continue pursuing this deal.

Stay tuned for details and please DO NOT contact anyone in Casper about this, let us handle it.

Clarkie
February 19th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Thanks for going out and check out option guy :)

i will race any track as long as you guys say it will be safe for the top 5 RoR guys to go bar to bar at 100% because you know that class if going to be tough this year and I doubt anyone will be willing to ride at 80%

The GECCO
February 19th, 2007, 04:01 PM
The track at the airport would be as safe (if not safer) than any of the tracks we run now. I mean, it's an airport - the asphalt is between 60 and 120 feet wide and even if you DO get off of it there isn't anything to hit!

If and when we race in Casper I will have to take whoever wants to go on a tour of what was my #1 choice for an actual street course in town. It looked great on satellite photo, but that was two dimensional and didn't account for the elevation changes. Who knew Casper has hills?? What looked like nice open runoff from several thousand feet was actually a steep drop off (30+ feet in one place!). No one will be able to disagree that the course would have been big time fun as long as you stayed on the asphalt...but as Mick Doohan said in FASTER - the other side of the coin isn't that great.

Clarkie
February 19th, 2007, 04:23 PM
thanks again Glen :)

Spiderman
February 20th, 2007, 08:11 AM
If and when we race in Casper I will have to take whoever wants to go on a tour of what was my #1 choice for an actual street course in town. It looked great on satellite photo, but that was two dimensional and didn't account for the elevation changes. Who knew Casper has hills?? What looked like nice open runoff from several thousand feet was actually a steep drop off (30+ feet in one place!). No one will be able to disagree that the course would have been big time fun as long as you stayed on the asphalt...but as Mick Doohan said in FASTER - the other side of the coin isn't that great.
:shock:

I would love to see it, nonetheless!

motobum
February 22nd, 2007, 08:28 PM
seems like a good way to bring some attention to the MRA