PDA

View Full Version : 675 needs new clutch, anyone used EBC or Barnett?

Desmodromico
May 9th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Sunday my stock clutch finally gave up the ghost after a couple years of abuse from my slipper clutch. It was slipping so bad the bike sounded like a scooter going down the back straight, so time for some new fibers. Curious if anyone has experience with the Barnett or EBC kits?

The EBC is much cheaper and is just the fibers, but I was worried as they say they are aluminum-impregnated cork. Seems to me putting aluminum dust in there just adds to oil contamination, anyone know if the Barnett uses this as well? The stock plates are like $220, so one of the aftermarket seems like a better way to go, suggestions?

graphite675
May 9th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Are you running synthetic oil? I was told by some pretty reliable sources to use nothing but stock clutch plates if using synthetic and a slipper. Some folks on 675.net had tried other then stock and had slipping issues.

I know I am past due for a refresh on my clutch. Maybe we can get a "buy one get one free: deal somewhere :lol:

Desmodromico
May 9th, 2012, 08:20 PM
I was hoping to avoid paying the ridiculous price for the OEM ones, but yes I run full synthetic and a slipper clutch. Thanks for the input, anyone else?

spideyrdr
May 9th, 2012, 08:23 PM
I only have one weekend on my EBC clutch fibers so I can't say I have an extensive record with it, but it was a big improvement over the fibers that were going out. I too have a slipper, started running full synthetic just this season, and the launches were vastly different / improved. I'd hardly call it a testimonial, but wanted to throw in my $0.02 since I just went through this.

Jamie

Fastt Racing
May 10th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Hey Sam. I have 13 race weekends on my stock frictions and plates. They look Brand New. Serious there is not even a shadow of wear on the plates, and the frictions are exactly new thickness spec. They worked awesome in my slipper all year last year, and felt great last weekend back in my stock clutch setup. I also use Mobil 1 4t synthetic moto oil, and launch at 4200rpm every race, and usually spend the first few corners in a podium position.

I had a friend install some EBC frictions in his stock R6 slipper last weekend, and they were not slipping at all because they seem to have a slightly thicker specified thickness. They were not shifting or launching very predictably either because of the different friction material still needing to flatten up to the steel plates completely. I would recommend the stock friction. I believe you can only get the friction plates and steel plates as a set from Triumph. I think it may still be the best value in the long run though.

You were still flying out there, and I hope to get to bang some bars with you at PPIR buddy! Good luck. Hit me up any time. We also got some tire stuff dialed last weekend that may be helpful to your wear situation. Later.

sheispoison
May 10th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Hey Sam, I got told by the guy at EBC that their aftermarket clutch plates are great for street use, but for race use you should use OEM plates. I've been racing my bike for 4plus seasons and I've put two clutches in it. And that was before it wore out, I prob could've gone longer on it.

Desmodromico
May 10th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks guys, sounds like I need to track down an OEM set. The clutch had about 5000 street miles on it and I swapped it over to the slipper two full seasons ago so it had a good life.

Dennis, I think the Pirellis I was running needed more PSI, will keep working on the setup also and get something going. I wasn't going to run PPIR but I might be getting coaxed into it.

sheispoison
May 10th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Sam, you better bring your ass down to Pikes!

dave.gallant
May 10th, 2012, 12:07 PM

It would be kinda awkward if the rest of him didn't come too?

sheispoison
May 10th, 2012, 01:19 PM

Yes Dave. Yes it would. :roll:

Sam, I wish you would've said something durring the weekend. I have a used set of plates in my spares that would have got you through the weekend. On another note, you can order just frictions from the Triumph dealer (caugh, Foothills, caugh), I just did at the start of the season and replaced just the frictions and the cover gasket.

Desmodromico
May 10th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Carl, no worries it didn't start really slipping until during AM-U and I wouldn't have had time to change them before T-Bike anyways. My video from Thunderbike is funny, I come out of the corkscrew and the revs peg then they drop as I ride up the hill. Luckily it wasn't enough to leave me stranded, just enough to give really crappy drive out of corners!

I'll talk to my ass about PPIR and see what it says...

marty
May 10th, 2012, 03:55 PM

If that van is a rockin', don't come a knockin' :lol:

Fastt Racing
May 10th, 2012, 08:06 PM
We thought more psi a few times, but didn't see what we wanted to see. When I finally dropped the pressure quite a bit they really started working good. I found Carl was running similar pressures to the ones I ended up with also. We WILL see you at PPIR. Let me know if you need to media blast your steel plates to clean them up from a little slippage.

benfoxmra95
June 6th, 2012, 12:33 PM
stock clutches are all we will race on