PDA

View Full Version : 2011 r6 question about passing tech for SuperStreet

Slo
May 8th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Tank sliders are required for racing in the MRA for the 2011 R6, is this required for superstreet as well?

T Baggins
May 8th, 2012, 01:20 PM
I would guess technically "no" - but ultimately it's up to Hot Carl.

That said, I think ANYONE who has an R6, if they like it enough to want to keep it - they should probably have tank sliders on it whether they race, ride SuperStreet, or just on the street.

Slo
May 8th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I agree, but I have someone on facebook asking.

sheispoison
May 8th, 2012, 03:25 PM
For superstreet I would say they're not required, but STRONGLY RECOMENDED. Ask Jeff Brown if you need proof that there's a problem with that tank.

Slo
May 8th, 2012, 03:28 PM
I completely agree and know why, but I won't be able to talk this guy into it. It's one of those "If it's needed, I won't be there" type things. But I am still glad to have another fella joining SS for PPIR.

rohorn
May 8th, 2012, 05:16 PM
It's one of those "If it's needed, I won't be there" type things.

I wonder if he'll get flamed for that.

Throttleroller277
May 8th, 2012, 10:56 PM
No comment.... Other than,"the writing is on the wall".

Sometimes having the correct protection isn't enough....
Choose your own fate.

rforsythe
May 9th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Hey we haven't had a good bike BBQ in a while, I say let him ride it!

Slo
May 9th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Or he may end up seeing this thread and decide not to show up at all. I truely understand the comments here, but this is a facebook guy that I have never met and now he is interested in running SuperStreet.

Eventually he may see this thread and get turned off and decide otherwise, which means we could possibly lose his buddies as well.

I am pushing superstreet in person, on facebook, among everyone I know and don't know. MRA needs money, and I am trying to get some of that for our organization.

We have 150+ racers? Would love to see 150+ grid for superstreet, enough so that we would have to not make a 2nd 3rd or 5th wave, but see it get so large that we need 3 completely seperate races.

I know that I am good for bringing in at least 10+ riders this year for superstreet, would also love to see a possible harley type superstreet for that group as well. I am sure if we did something for that type of bike, they would come out for their own bragging rights with friends.

rforsythe
May 9th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I do understand your concern with him not showing up, and I hope he doesn't take all of this the wrong way. We've just all seen this stuff go badly when the rules don't get followed, and we have had multiple R6's go down and turn into bonfires because of the tank issue.

If Carl says it's not required then your friend should come ride. If he does read this thread, then I hope he realizes while there's a bit of sarcasm, we're really all just interested in him having a safe, fun time. Also note that the tank concerns don't just stop at the track, this issue would be there on the street as well.

T Baggins
May 9th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Kindler, gentler MRA guys... kindler, gentler MRA.

Remember that not everyone is up to speed on our "humor" so Slo is right, let's treat these situations with kid gloves.

That said, we'd be remiss not to at least suggest that people who ride bikes with known safety problems do what they can to mitigate them.

If the rider chooses not to follow our recommendations, then let's stay fingers crossed that they do come out and have a good time anyway.

Thanks Slo for doing "more" than your part in promoting the MRA. You're a great ambassador for our sport! :D

Slo
May 9th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Edit-damn i cant type on my phone

I understand all of it completely. But I am also trying to see it as a new street guy....someone that wont admit it but may be nervous already.

We all understand the sarcasm and the want to keep people safe and such. But for a guy that is "testing the waters", he may interpret some of us incorrectly being new and all.

I am pretty excited about seeing superstreet "evolve", I know it has the potential of becoming a bigger field than any grid we currently have. And not just that, I believe one day there "could" be as many superstreet riders as there are racers.

Superstreet to me is like test n tune for bandimere....there are planty more everyday people racing there than full blown non street legal drag cars.

DOUBLE A
May 9th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Geez... I think its wrong to assume "he" will wreck and burst into flames! Also the R6 tanks changed after 06-07 tank problems and are shaped different to aviod the problem before. MOM series only requires 06-07 R6 tanks to have crash protection, not the 08+ tanks. I would run 08+ without them if I had to, but 06-07 tank I would not.

DOUBLE A
May 9th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Geez... I think its wrong to assume "he" will wreck and burst into flames! Also the R6 tanks changed after 06-07 tank problems and are shaped different to aviod the problem before. MOM series only requires 06-07 R6 tanks to have crash protection, not the 08+ tanks. I would run 08+ without them if I had to, but 06-07 tank I would not.

Slo
May 9th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Thanks Slo for doing "more" than your part in promoting the MRA. You're a great ambassador for our sport! :D

No thanks needed, we are all equally obligated if we want to keep racing. I am just doing my part as a commitment to not just the MRA but also would like to see my two year old get into it years later.

I am here to see what an average street/canyon guy can do. To also show others that if SLO can do it, they can too haha. Need to learn as much as possible so that my son will have good real instruction from his pops. Not just me guessing as I am helping him.

My goal isnt to become a top tier racer.....just to keep learning and improving. Cant do it without an MRA and excellent riders to be picking info from.