PDA

View Full Version : PPIR

jmaher
May 7th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Do we race in the rain at PPIR?

Joe

NossLou
May 7th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Pretty sure we do... I could be wrong. Pueblo was a no, but I'm sure that has changed.

Not sure if I ever want to.....

sheispoison
May 7th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Yep, we race in the rain there. Pueblo is the only track we don't run in the rain. Ask Pat Lansu why :wink:

NossLou
May 7th, 2012, 12:29 PM
even with the new surface we will not rain race in pueblo?

sheispoison
May 7th, 2012, 12:34 PM
even with the new surface we will not rain race in pueblo?
I'm pretty sure we still have to go through the burn out box where the drag guys put that shit down. So unless I'm mistaken it's still not safe in the rain. If you thought the sealer was slippery this weekend, that shit at Pueblo is 100 times more slick.

NossLou
May 7th, 2012, 12:39 PM
got ya...mind elaborating on Pat's experience with that area

rybo
May 7th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Yes - we race in the rain at Pikes

No - we will not run in the rain at Pueblo even with the new pavement.

The traction compound they use for burnouts is the problem, and it's really slippery when it gets wet. While an alternate route around the box would have been nice it wasn't in the repave budget this time around.

dave.gallant
May 7th, 2012, 12:43 PM
A 63HP SV650 highsided in a straight line on a sorta-wet Pueblo drag surface. (true story)

That tops all.

jmaher
May 7th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Thanks. I bought a set of rains this year and hope to get to use them....in the rain.

Joe

JimWilson29
May 7th, 2012, 02:05 PM
A 63HP SV650 highsided in a straight line on a sorta-wet Pueblo drag surface. (true story)

That tops all.

That would be Mr. Applehans and that occurred directly in front of me. He was completely upright and the bike slid out from under him. He left an orange mark all the way to the start finish line that morning.

Pueblo will be holding drag racing every weekend prior to us racing there end of June which means there will traction compound on the pavement. We won't be able to race in the rain because of it.

KFinn
May 7th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Pat's incredible save was witnessed at least by Brewer and my girlfriend in the announcing tower. some of the details might be a little off but the just of the story is that it started to sprinkle last year when we were all there between the rain breaks and sweeping. It started to sprinkle during their race and he almost had a high side, I think which he saved into a tank slapper as he was in the grass along side the outside wall. He rode it out and got back on the pavement. Not sure if he was really close to the wall or riding along side it scraping it.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
May 8th, 2012, 08:34 AM

On the other hand, I went through the drag box full of VTH and covered with water just fine on my 135HP Aprilia. I'd been at a CCS race @ Heartland Park where we _raced_ through a drag launch area during a downpour with tornado warning in effect.

You *can* go through that area, it's just tough to predict traction.

dave.gallant
May 8th, 2012, 08:42 AM
You are correct Sir.

I guess the only limiting factor is how much daylight we have and how many times we will restart any given race as that area will require various "clean ups".

Fastt Racing
May 8th, 2012, 12:01 PM
That's awesome Jim. I ran a National Championship race in Heartland Park during a Tornado tuchdown a few miles away. That was a scary day, we thought a few of the trailers where gonna tip over in the pits. It was a beautiful day about 50 minutes before that.

Jim 'smooth' Brewer
May 9th, 2012, 06:52 AM
That's awesome Jim. I ran a National Championship race in Heartland Park during a Tornado tuchdown a few miles away.
Must be something about that track. We ended up parking the RV trailer in the tunnel overnight since we couldn't sleep with it rocking so much .. from the wind, that is.

At the riders' meeting they announced the warning in effect. The question was asked, "Is a tornado a standing or waving yellow?"

I made $500 in Yamaha money that weekend. :-) I love the rain.